nav option?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:20 AM
Enthusiast
Default nav option?

I have querried several local Ford dealers to see who is ready to order the 2009 FEH. We will get the Limited and that means there are few options. The navigation option presents the biggest puzzle. Since I am a male I never get lost. Really, the GPS system is not a big attraction BUT from the day I first saw the display in a Prius, I have loved the energy flow diagram. Is that available in the FEH and is it part of the nav package. Okay, I was almost lost once.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: nav option?

Originally Posted by julianwilso
I have querried several local Ford dealers to see who is ready to order the 2009 FEH. We will get the Limited and that means there are few options. The navigation option presents the biggest puzzle. Since I am a male I never get lost. Really, the GPS system is not a big attraction BUT from the day I first saw the display in a Prius, I have loved the energy flow diagram. Is that available in the FEH and is it part of the nav package. Okay, I was almost lost once.
You've needed the NAV to get the energy flow diagram in all the model years before `09, I doubt that will change.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yeah, I feel exactly the same about the NAV; maps - not so useful, power flow - very cool.

In fact I felt strongly enough about it that I decided to spend the extra $2700 and get it in my 08 FEH. Having had if for a few weeks now I'm still happy I made the decision go with the NAV.

A couple of observations/thoughts/opinions:

1. I think it's kind of cool having it to show off the technology in the hybrid system. Otherwise it's all so transparent that passengers wouldn't get a good idea of how much work the FEH is actually doing.

2. My first thought while driving around was "hey, I'll be a little safer driver now that I'm trying to cruise at slower speeds when possible." Pretty quickly I realized that any additional safety from the slower speeds is probably off set by the fact that I'm watching the power flow all the time.... oops.

3. I can see loosing interest in the power flow after a while and it would be nice if it had more detailed info (like the scangauge seems to provide) on temps and battery charge... but all in all I'm still happy with spending the money on it, after all the scanguage or even aftermarket NAV systems won't give my passengers that "WOW - hybrids are cool!" feeling.

Oh, and I have never been lost in my life either.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:25 PM

Really, the GPS system is not a big attraction BUT from the day I first saw the display in a Prius, I have loved the energy flow diagram. Is that available in the FEH and is it part of the nav package. Okay, I was almost lost once.
I also liked the "coolness" of the power display on the Nav, but I decided not to get the NAV for a couple of reasons.

1. Cost. It is 1900 or so bucks for 2008, not sure about 2009.
2. I have my own GPS device (on my cell phone, as it happens). So I don't need the NAV.
3. The NAV is cool, but I'm not sure about repair costs. I can have the radio system break and the car will still work, but I'm not sure if a NAV equipped vehicle will work without the displays (the Prius won't work without the display, to my understanding).

I find that the "instant MPG" meter on the conventional model, coupled with the "charge/assist" guage, is sufficient to give me the same information I would seek from the Nav display - and this information is on the instrument cluster, not to the right in the center stack. Also, another item I use is the RPM guage and Speedometer - which are all in the instrument cluster. So using these items works more in concert than the fancy NAV display. I don't know if the instant MPG display still works in the instrument cluster if the FEH is equipped with NAV, though the "Charge/Assist" guage is present on all models.

I considered buying a Mariner with Nav, because it also had leather and FWD. I ended up with my FEH because it had the limited package, and I wanted the reverse sensors. So I accepted the AWD option that came with the vehicle I wanted. The Mariner was $1700 more, but it didn't have all the options of the FEH I was considering, and it had a sunroof, which is a "give or take" to me.

Last edited by stevedebi; 04-28-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

We will get the Limited and that means there are few options.
The 2009 limited hybrid is actually the fully loaded model with MANY options already installed.
Navigation is still optional at $2395.00

08FEH

Old 04-27-2008, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
2. Music CDs. The multi changer for the 6-CD feature is under the driver seat in Nav equipped FEH.
This is not true on the 08 model with NAV. The CDs load in the dash and there's a DVD slot behind the touch screen to hold the NAV map data.

There's nothing under the drivers seat except a yellow wire connector and the electric seat motor.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:44 PM

Is the display area of the navigational/radio unit still 3.5 inches?

Old 04-28-2008, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by MyPart
This is not true on the 08 model with NAV. The CDs load in the dash and there's a DVD slot behind the touch screen to hold the NAV map data.

There's nothing under the drivers seat except a yellow wire connector and the electric seat motor.
I had no idea. I will edit my original post.