My first batch of ethanol is almost ready

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My first batch of ethanol is almost ready

Originally Posted by WaltPA
You have no storage area between the top of the HV battery pack, and the roof?
Oh.... duh

Old 02-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Are you using a Mr. Beer kit or a more traditional setup?
Yes.

I was given a Mr Beer and I started the first batch but realized the limitations of the Mr Beer system. So I took a road trip to Austin where Austin Hombrew Supply is located and bought some more extract and some hops and their $99 6.5 gallon kit with a glass carboy. This weekend I will be starting a Belgian white ale in the "big" kit and making 2 small batches of a redone Mr Beer Whity Monk using wheat malt extract and a wheat yeast. I bought an extra Mr Beer keg and 3 Mr Beer deluxe kits before I realized what I was doing. So my modified High Country Canadian (used 2lbs of amber liquid malt extract and some Amarillo aroma hops plus the HCC HME) is going into a small 3 gallon carboy tonight.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Careful Mark... you never know if ATF is watching....

What's the legal limit a person can brew per month?
I don't think you are near that limit... but there IS a limit.

-John

Old 02-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

200 gallons a year thanks to President Jimmy Carter. Not for comercial use. No way to enforce

Old 02-09-2008, 12:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

I just finished 2 bottles of the scotch ale my friend and I bottled 2 weeks ago. It's not as hoppy as I would like but it does have a nice maltiness to it. We used a recipe kit by Brewer's Best but added about a pound total of chocolate and crystal malts. We forgot to take a specific gravity reading before fermentation so I'm not sure what the alcohol content is, but I'd estimate it's somewhere around 5%.

And yeah, the Mr. Beer kits are really limited. We used one for a few batches, which worked well, but we only brewed 1 batch using the ingredients that came with it with less than satisfactory results. Now we frequent the Fox Valley Homebrew store in Aurora and over the last 6 months acquired various pieces of equipment that's probably equivalent to your kit, all of which was hauled to my apartment in either my FEH or my friend's '88 Reliant K. I think the next piece we're investing in is a bottle drying tree.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
Yes.

I was given a Mr Beer and I started the first batch but realized the limitations of the Mr Beer system. So I took a road trip to Austin where Austin Hombrew Supply is located and bought some more extract and some hops and their $99 6.5 gallon kit with a glass carboy. So my modified High Country Canadian (used 2lbs of amber liquid malt extract and some Amarillo aroma hops plus the HCC HME) is going into a small 3 gallon carboy tonight.
Ah, Austin, If I had to live in Texas that would be the place...