My FEH must like me, first 50+ mpg trip.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: working on second 50+ MPG tank

Here is my update about 240 miles into my tank:

My MTE is about 345 which means my total MTE is 585 miles. My nav screen consistantly shows about 41-43 MPG (with one weekend trip pushing it down into the 40.5 range) and it rarely moves too much so I don't worry about it overweighing more recent data. With it getting cooler and cooler here (in Vegas that is under 100 ) I am able to run without A/C some of the way home from work now. That will only get better as it presses more and more into September.

I am thinking in October when the highs are only around 90 I will be able to not run A/C at all and at thinking I will be able to get a 600 mile tank for sure. What a huge difference the breaking in does though. In the first 2000 miles of having the car I wouldn't have even thought a 500 tank possible, but now it is looking like I might hit 600 on the current tank and then I am thinking 625 is possible.

We will see, perhaps I can get to John's level soon

Old 09-26-2008, 09:58 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: working on second 50+ MPG tank

So I filled up on Tuesday on the way home from work. I didn't want to risk running out of gas and I get really nervious when that MTE shows 0 miles... I did want to get to 600 miles on the tank, but I don't want to risk it.

I filled up 14.15 gallons and drove 584 miles. The MTE hit 0 at between 579 and 580 miles. This comes out to like 41.3 MPG, so that was super good for me. My odometer shows 3858 miles at fillup. Right after the fillup the MTE showed 616 miles. I don't know if it overfilled or what, as I was expecting the fillup to be around 13.4 gallons but I did put in 14.15.

After driving through this morning I am at 76 miles driven, NAV screen (which was reset at fillup) shows 45.6 MPG and my MTE shows 567 miles (or total MTE of 643 which seems high to me, but who knows)... Thoes numbers make me think that I overfilled, but not sure... Even with a possible "overfill" the 41.3 MPG on the other tank looks even better I guess.

What I think I am going to do, since I know hte NAV MPG monitor drops data is write down the value and reset it very 100 miles. I also have a trip to CA next weekend, so I doubt that I will be able to get 600 this time - I'll be happy with 500 miles on the tank with the drive to CA... Temps here are in the upper 90s and in the lower 70s in the morning. I ran the A/C about 25% on the drive home and never in the mornings...

With the car breaking in and the nicer temps I am really, really seeing a nice increase in MPG.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My FEH must like me, first 50+ mpg trip.

The Ford stated gas tank capacity is 15 gallons. However, a few posters have documented it is possible to have more than 15 gallons in your vehicle. One method for squeezing in additional fuel is to use "lateral bumping" and waiting during the end phase of fueling. One has to "eye-ball" the fuel drop in the nozzle during this procedure. Don't do this when your fuel station is busy.