Old 09-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: my engine has a rod knock

Originally Posted by wwest
Define "common problem"...

Once you're the "victim".
thefreedictionary.com;

Common:
* Occurring frequently or habitually; usual.
* Most widely known; ordinary

Problem:
* A question to be considered, solved, or answered

Bearing failure has not been shown to be a habitually frequent problem among FEH's or hybrids in general, so there is nothing to be considered or solved.

Victim:
* A person who suffers injury, loss, or death as a result of a voluntary undertaking
* A person who is tricked, swindled, or taken advantage of

I see no intentional loss against this person.

I fail to understand the reason of your post, other than to imply that I lack compassion toward the OP about his misfortune.
He has a right to rail in anger. Although I believe the chosen target is an error, I am not him. I feel badly as anyone else when a roll of bad fate happens to anyone, and I have every reason to believe the OP took good care of the maintenance of his engine.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 09-20-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
I fail to understand the reason of your post, other than to imply that I lack compassion toward the OP about his misfortune.
You're arguing with a troll. We'd all be better off if you would ignore him.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
thefreedictionary.com;

Common:
* Occurring frequently or habitually; usual.
* Most widely known; ordinary

Problem:
* A question to be considered, solved, or answered

Bearing failure has not been shown to be a habitually frequent problem among FEH's or hybrids in general, so there is nothing to be considered or solved.

Victim:
* A person who suffers injury, loss, or death as a result of a voluntary undertaking
* A person who is tricked, swindled, or taken advantage of

I see no intentional loss against this person.

He has a right to rail in anger. Although I believe the chosen target is an error, I am not him. I feel badly as anyone else when a roll of bad fate happens to anyone, and I have every reason to believe the OP took good care of the maintenance of his engine.

"..I see no intentional loss against this person.."

No one said, or even implied "intentional". Simply an oversight, most likely.

After all, how many of today's engineers are aware that the old 4-barrel carburetors would no go WOT, "true" WOT, until the engine was throughly warmed up. The rear 2 barrels were "locked" closed until a thermostatic spring controlling the latch was warmed enough by the exhaust gases.

Now, today, we have engines in these hybrids that may not start at all until you're 15 miles down the road. Fully depress the go pedal at that point with engine still COLD after setting all night, and likely has little or no lubricating oil on any of the faying surfaces.

So, maybe it would take 70-100,000 miles for that to have any noticeable adverse effects, but adverse effects it will have.

It's very good that these HSD type vehicles have no attraction for those with a "boy racer" mentality.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by wwest
Now, today, we have engines in these hybrids that may not start at all until you're 15 miles down the road. Fully depress the go pedal at that point with engine still COLD after setting all night, and likely has little or no lubricating oil on any of the faying surfaces.
Every FEH sold up to this point will start the ICE and go through the a warm-up scenario before going into EV only. No chance to go 15 miles without some type of ICE warm up.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

This is an interesting discussion. It is something I have wondered about every since I bought my FEH. My assumption was the the Ford engineers (or Toyota for that matter) must have made some kind of provision to hold oil pressure at a decent level when the ICE is off. I've never researched it. The notion of not mashing on the throttle from a stop has crossed my mind, but it certainly never stopped me from doing it occasionally when it's necessary to get out into traffic. Just how many FEH's have spun bearings anyway? This is the first I've heard of it. What about the Prius? I have just under 125K mi. on my Escape so far. The idea of an electric oil pump certainly seems practical, but are we absolutely sure Ford didn't already put on on this vehicle? The oil light definitely doesn't come on when the vehicle is in electric mode... I suppose they could disable it. My feeling is that there is something in the oiling system that holds pressure or maintains it as designed. If anyone knows the answer, please enlighten us.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by corski67
This is an interesting discussion. It is something I have wondered about every since I bought my FEH. My assumption was the the Ford engineers (or Toyota for that matter) must have made some kind of provision to hold oil pressure at a decent level when the ICE is off. I've never researched it. The notion of not mashing on the throttle from a stop has crossed my mind, but it certainly never stopped me from doing it occasionally when it's necessary to get out into traffic. Just how many FEH's have spun bearings anyway? This is the first I've heard of it. What about the Prius? I have just under 125K mi. on my Escape so far. The idea of an electric oil pump certainly seems practical, but are we absolutely sure Ford didn't already put on on this vehicle? The oil light definitely doesn't come on when the vehicle is in electric mode... I suppose they could disable it. My feeling is that there is something in the oiling system that holds pressure or maintains it as designed. If anyone knows the answer, please enlighten us.
There have been only two people with FEH's to my knowledge that have reported spun bearings on this forum. Not bad since I am a senior member on this and a few other FEH forums. The 2.3L Atkinson cycle engine gets its torque at high RPMs, and it has an aluminum block with standard cast steel rods and 2 bolt main crank. Ford is going to forged steel rods and 4 bolt main cranks more and more now. My 2011 Explorer 3.5L V6 has the beefed up lower end as an example. In addition, the older 2.3L Atkinson engine doesn't handle E10 gas as well as my '09 FEH, so higher RPMs could cause problems as it did in my '05 FEH with a knocking noise at ~5800 rpms.

Understand that the FEH starter is the motor generator (MG1) vs the standard starter motor at a much lower crank speed. Also, Ford used a completely different oil filter than the gas 2.3L engine. One more difference is the Traction motor (MG2) assist the engine under hard acceleration as the engine is started and begins under a load at WOT (wide open throttle) unlike the standard gas engine.

Ford engineers are the best, so making changes like Bill Winney did may harm more than it helps. Think about the possible harm he caused by having the factory pump a new oil pathway his TEE caused at the sender unit to pump oil back to the oil pan than the needed oil to the main bearings? I really don't think Bill did that mod because there are no complete pictures of what he really did, but if he did?

GaryG

Old 09-23-2011, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by GaryG
There have been only two people with FEH's to my knowledge that have reported spun bearings on this forum. Not bad since I am a senior member on this and a few other FEH forums. The 2.3L Atkinson cycle engine gets its torque at high RPMs, and it has an aluminum block with standard cast steel rods and 2 bolt main crank. Ford is going to forged steel rods and 4 bolt main cranks more and more now. My 2011 Explorer 3.5L V6 has the beefed up lower end as an example. In addition, the older 2.3L Atkinson engine doesn't handle E10 gas as well as my '09 FEH, so higher RPMs could cause problems as it did in my '05 FEH with a knocking noise at ~5800 rpms.

Understand that the FEH starter is the motor generator (MG1) vs the standard starter motor at a much lower crank speed. Also, Ford used a completely different oil filter than the gas 2.3L engine. One more difference is the Traction motor (MG2) assist the engine under hard acceleration as the engine is started and begins under a load at WOT (wide open throttle) unlike the standard gas engine.

Ford engineers are the best, so making changes like Bill Winney did may harm more than it helps. Think about the possible harm he caused by having the factory pump a new oil pathway his TEE caused at the sender unit to pump oil back to the oil pan than the needed oil to the main bearings? I really don't think Bill did that mod because there are no complete pictures of what he really did, but if he did?

GaryG
Wow, just how "in your face" can a person be..?

Bill may have used a positive displacement electric pump, like the gear type pump the factory uses, or even a one-way ball & spring check valve, to prevent reverse flow back into the sump.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

While I'm feeling pretty sympathetic about this situation, it does seem pretty rare... Or we all certainly hope it is. I hope he is able to find a salvage engine to replace the ill-fated one.

As for the whole WOT from a dead stop, I have to agree with GaryG on this one. The whole system was designed to make up for the torque that the Atkinson ICE lacks by tapping into the HP available at the electric motor. I've never complained about the pick up this vehicle has. I drove a Saturn HEV prior to buying this one and the Escape leaves it in the dust with smooth consistent power throughout the band. The Saturn was loud, slow, and vibrated harshly under hard acceleration. I was not impressed.

All the starts and stops of the ICE have always amazed me. It sure seems like that would cause a horrific amount of wear and tear on everything... But time has proven that the system is engineered well enough to handle it and keep on going. I watched these FEH's being abused horribly on my last trip to NY where they are being used as taxi cabs. Those drivers are either all on, or all off and hard on the brakes in those vehicles. They typically take them out of service at 300,000 miles... and those are hard miles! With the way the typical person drives, the vehicle should last at least that long.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by corski67
I watched these FEH's being abused horribly on my last trip to NY where they are being used as taxi cabs. Those drivers are either all on, or all off and hard on the brakes in those vehicles. They typically take them out of service at 300,000 miles... and those are hard miles! With the way the typical person drives, the vehicle should last at least that long.
Like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...#ht_500wt_1182

Old 09-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by econoline

Uh... Yeah, just like that one! Now that's objective evidence. I have to wonder just how many more miles are left in one of those. I was standing at the airport watching the cabs line up. You would think the throttle was not of the variable variety but rather "on" or "off." The drivers would stomp on the gas and then hammer the brakes... On, off, on, off... It was ridiculous. I was thinking, "my God if these cars can take that kind of abuse for 300K I think I bought the right vehicle. The one you found seems in remarkably good shape.

Quick Reply: my engine has a rod knock

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands