my engine has a rod knock

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: my engine has a rod knock

Originally Posted by GaryG
Here we go again!

The amount of oil is controlled through the crankshaft by drilled holes that the oil pump provides pressure. This oil goes through these holes to the rod bearings and a controlled amount of this oil is slung from the rod bearing onto the cylinder walls to lube them. If Ford engineers thought they needed anything like Willard or Bill suggest, they would have made a design change.

I have to call Bill to explain just how he modified his engine oil system in detail because I think it's all BS IMO.

GaryG
If the Ford engineers made this type of change "after the fact" that would by default be an acknowledgement of a design flaw and that would result in making failure claims valid.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:59 AM

Begs the question...why did you need an auxillary oil pump on those engines??

Old 09-17-2011, 10:35 AM

For the typical car that one keeps for maybe 100,000 miles the engines will startup just fine. They necessarily are starting up on dry bearings. So long as you don't start them and then go immediately to high power they work just fine for many years.

In other words the bearings are designed for "incidental" contact when you startup. They'll take that kind of metal to metal contact, at low rpms and only idle power level. But at high rpms & heavy load this kind of contact will spin a bearing in a heartbeat. ...And that's my point about a skedaddle start from ICE off to full power into traffic. I just think its not good for things.

The other discussion on spun bearings I think bears this out. You just don't see spun bearings in engines these days. Like I said, these engines designs have been 'round for 100 years and more. Like I said, I think you'll find the spun bearings at the other end of the crankshaft from where the oil goes in.

But if you want to keep them for the long haul, as I do, then putting a pre-startup oil pump on the engine works wonders. Hence my Suburban has just under 437,000 miles on it and gets ~5,000 on a quart of oil. My Mustang, @254,000 goes equally as well.

This is not a design flaw in Ford's engines. It is how they have built engines for 100 years. My point is simple: how you operate your engine makes a difference. I don't mean you have to baby them, but the stop to full power cycle just "ain't" good for them. That's all.

I have now attached a pic of the oil sump fitting and hose. Wasn't difficult to put in. The pressure side into the tee fitting at the pressure switch is a very crowded place and I'm just not going to take things apart to get a pic for you.

Attached Thumbnails my engine has a rod knock-img_1157.jpg  
Old 09-17-2011, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
Sump Drain (ie oil pan drain plug) as the supply source.

Tee fitting at the oil pressure switch as the pressure discharge to the engine.

Is that all you can ask? Isn't even tough.

One doesn't even need pictures to get the idea.
My point is, how do you get oil to the engine components with an electrical pump not designed for this engine. The oil sender switch is located on the oil filter adapter housing. If you pump oil with an additional electric pump, what keeps the oil from taking the path of lease resistance back through the mechanical pump and back to the oil pan? The mechanical oil pump and engine is designed to provide engine oil pressure when the engine is started and running, it is not a check valve.

GaryG

Old 09-18-2011, 06:27 AM

It'd be nice if you understood how these gear pumps work. They present a high resistance to reverse flow, running or not.

The engine crankshaft is geared to the pump... so-o-o when the engine isn't turning it prevents the gear pump from turning... so-o-o the only flow path is through the fine clearances of the pump casing and the gear clearances... so-o-o-o very little flow goes backwards through the engine oil pump.

As for the design of the electric pump... I selected one that has the characteristics I thought necessary for the application. You know temperature of the pumped fluid (oil), flow rate, physical size to fit in where I chose to put it, 12 VDC power supply (I actually selected a different voltage rating for a reason...), kind of pump (eg gear, centrifugal, IMO, etc), kind of seals for the fluid & temperature range.

Took me a while to get it right but now it's working just fine. No dry starts.

Last edited by Bill Winney; 09-18-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:41 AM

BTW... path of least resistance is a faulty concept. The flow would divide proportionately to the resistance to flow. Fluids don't pick their path of flow choosing only one.

But in this case the resistance to reverse flow is high so most flow goes where I want it to... into the engine.

And remember the pump doesn't care what drives it. Electric, geared, etc. They all move the oil, you know.

Old 09-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hello pissing contest?

Old 09-19-2011, 04:18 PM

It seems to me the FEH isn't the only hybrid vehicle without a factory installed electric oil pump. This is the only instance I've heard of a crank bearing failure in any hybrid vehicle. If it were a common problem the issue would be resolved not only by Ford but by the other companies as well.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:28 PM

Take a look on this website, there was an extensive post a year or so ago on this very thing. As I recall there have been a few of these spun bearings.

No urinating going on at all. One of the posters, for all practical purposes, accused me of prevarication.

Having been around the block more than once with him, I decided awhile ago to call him when he does stuff that indicates he just doesn't understand something. That's all that is going on.

Since he continues to do this stuff, having been called on it more than once, I concluded.............

Old 09-20-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
It seems to me the FEH isn't the only hybrid vehicle without a factory installed electric oil pump. This is the only instance I've heard of a crank bearing failure in any hybrid vehicle. If it were a common problem the issue would be resolved not only by Ford but by the other companies as well.

Define "common problem"...

Once you're the "victim".

Quick Reply: my engine has a rod knock

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands