Mudflaps or ClearMask?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mudflaps or ClearMask?

Originally Posted by GatorJ
I have both. I might be in the minority, but I like the Ford mud flaps, believe they are relatively effective and would not have installed anything larger. The clear bra has been doing its job well, no issues.
Gator, are you using the molded or the flat Ford mud guards? If the flat, could you post the dimensions (LxW)? Thanks.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by econoline
IMHO the molded mudflaps are too small to be effective, particularly in the rear. Read some of the threads on mudflaps, and maybe get something bigger.
The Husky ones I have, are pretty long. IMHO, if they were any longer, they would hit the pavement whenever I went over a bump.

Last edited by WaltPA; 07-23-2007 at 05:46 AM. Reason: getting image
Old 07-23-2007, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
The Husky ones I have, are pretty long. IMHO, if they were any longer, they would hit the pavement whenever I went over a bump.
Walt, those do look bigger than I expected. I kept hearing reports that they were about the same size as the Ford OEM molded flaps. Not so.

Are yours the size recommended for the Escape or did you size up?

Is the material at all flexible or is it really stiff?

I'm also concerned that too stiff a flap will get knocked off when I go on a rougher dirt road.

Did you get the matching flaps for the front?

Every time I look at my molded Ford flaps I get pissed off. The fronts are probably okay but the rears are a joke, no coverage at all to the outside, and mounted askew if you use the factory holes.

Thanks Walt.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:42 AM

I do have the fronts too, though possibly they are lost from the shadows in the pic.

They are as "flexible" as any other molded mud flap.

I got them because the Ford ones said "Ford", and I have a Mercury.

They are the standard Escape size. I don't think they offering anything "sized up" because they need to follow the curves of the lower fender openings.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
Gator, are you using the molded or the flat Ford mud guards? If the flat, could you post the dimensions (LxW)? Thanks.

Molded.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by jmorton10
I bought some huge generic flat flaps from Pep Boys yesterday, I can easily cut them to any size I want.

It will be a week or more before I get time to install them however.

~John
John,

Any progress on this?

I'm still on a quest to get decent mudflaps on the FEH. I'll probably leave the OEM molded ones on the front, as they are large enough. For the rear, to replace the too small OEM molded ones, I've now purchased the Ford logo generics (Plasticolor) from Pep Boys, CRE's from Autoanything, and the Powerflow #4 also from Pep Boys. I'm going to pick the best set and return the others.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question Re: Mudflaps or ClearMask?

I was just told by the parts department at my dealership that there are "factory" molded splash guards for the rear (only) of the 2008 Escapes, different from the mostly flat ones (front & rear) as seen in the accessory catalog. Has anyone seen these installed? If I can get them before my upcoming trip I'll post photos, otherwise I'd like some show and tell if you have them. They said they were about twice what the accessory catalog ones cost ($50 for left/right.)

Old 11-12-2007, 09:44 PM

Interesting. I've been holding off buying a rear pair in hopes of getting a molded set, but wanted to get some before winter weather arrives. maybe I need to call a dealer tomorrow...

Old 11-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yea, I was also waiting for the molded ones. The dealership is supposed to give me a call tomorrow if they can get some this week, I'll post the info if I find out anything specific.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:03 AM
HEV's are your friend

Is there a consensus on which end to put flaps on first? Front or rear?

Quick Reply: Mudflaps or ClearMask?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands