MPG gauge going cooky?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default MPG gauge going cooky?

Hi everyone

Just curious about something. In October 2008 I purchased an '09 FEH and have noticed my mileage has slowly but steadily been decreasing from 33 mpg to 28. I understand from what I've read here that cold weather and winter grade gasoline can be a cause of that. I talked to a fellow at the Ford dealership last month and he suggested I switch from 87 octane gas to 89 and see if that helps. I started using 89 octane and shortly after that I noticed my mpg gauge going berzerk. It would read 46 mpg then down to 19 mpg and everything in between. I think it has stabilzed now to around 28.9 which I think is more accurate, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience. Thanks.

Mary Ann

Old 02-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Default Re: MPG gauge going cooky?

Originally Posted by mfrost
Hi everyone

Just curious about something. In October 2008 I purchased an '09 FEH and have noticed my mileage has slowly but steadily been decreasing from 33 mpg to 28. I understand from what I've read here that cold weather and winter grade gasoline can be a cause of that. I talked to a fellow at the Ford dealership last month and he suggested I switch from 87 octane gas to 89 and see if that helps. I started using 89 octane and shortly after that I noticed my mpg gauge going berzerk. It would read 46 mpg then down to 19 mpg and everything in between. I think it has stabilzed now to around 28.9 which I think is more accurate, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this experience. Thanks.

Mary Ann
Hi Mary Ann

Cold weather is the big factor in reduced MPG in the '09 FEH. The '09 handles E10 or winter gas better than any prior model FEH, but a sudden change in any fuel will effect your mileage. For instance, if you were using straight gas and your area changed to winter gas you would not only have effects from the cold weather but also the change in fuel. Changing to 89 octane will also hurt your MPG because it has less energy than 87 octane which ford recommends. Winter 89 octane is even worst so this may be why your mileage is so screwed up. Get back to 87 octane and if you can find straight gas you will be better off. The FEH computers have to relearn fuel ratios every time you change gas types so be consistant as possible and stay with 87 octane what ever you do.

GaryG

Old 02-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: MPG gauge going cooky?

That makes sense. Thanks very much Gary.