advice about a possible purchase

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default advice about a possible purchase

Hello,
I'm going to need some advice here...any help will be appreciated.

I'm on the verge of graduating from college...and my mom has decided to buy (or at least significantly help me buy) a car. I'm thinking about a 2008/2009 escape hybrid.
a few questions:
are maintenance costs going to be much higher than owning a regular gasoline-powered car? I'm looking for a relatively low operating cost (which includes gas mileage) and I'm unfamiliar with how often hybrid-specific parts need to be replaced.

How many lifetime miles can i reasonably expect if I care for it well?

I'm a little scared of going the hybrid route mainly because I don't know what to expect from this type of vehicle. I'm a little suspicious, though, that this might be the same attitude most car owners/buyers have about 'switching over'.

Any help would be appreciated...thank you folks.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: advice about a possible purchase

Hybrid specific parts --the transmission (electronic CVT), AC-DC inverter and hybrid battery pack are extremely unlikely to "wear out".

There is a high up-front purchase cost and don't expect a dealer to provide price discounts to the Ford Escape Hybrid. It might be too much for a new college graduate who might have educational loans to pay off. Most hybrids provide low operating costs and other hybrid models might provide an even lower operating cost. It may prove to be difficult to locate one on a local dealer lot to even test drive. Ordering this vehicle might include a four to six month wait.

You need to ask yourself why a SUV opposed to a car. Good luck.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I had to drive an '08 Ford Focus rental vehicle on a 500 mile round trip this weekend and managed over 40* mpg on Interstate at an average speed of about 75 mph. Hybrid's excel at city driving and you're going to have trouble getting that kind of mileage with a FEH under similar conditions.

Guess it all depends on what kind of driving you do.

40 mpg one way and 42 mpg return trip.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:44 PM

When compared to the gas-only equivalent Escape, the FEH will have lower operating cost in multiple areas:

1.) Obviously the FEH gets better gas mileage
2.) Oil changes for the FEH are at 10,000 mile intervals, 7,500 miles for the gas-only
3.) Brake pads on the FEH will last much longer due to regenerative braking
4.) The FEH transmission has a longer warranty then the gas-only since it is considered an emission component (along with other hybrid specific components) and also does not require a fluid change (ever?/as often?)
5.)I expect the LRR tires on the FEH last longer than the gas-only version's tires
6.)Some auto insurers give a "hybrid owners discount" (ex: Travelers = 10% off entire premium)

Assuming that you're able to buy an FEH off the lot soon, you may be able to take full advantage of the Federal Hybrid Tax Credit of up to $3000 (and possibly state credits). Be careful though as this credit is set to be cut in half soon due to Ford reaching the 60,000 qualified units sold limit in late 2008. (Check the IRS site and other threads for more information on this).

In any case, you may be able to get a recent graduate discount of $500. My wife and I were able to since she had graduated about 12 months prior to our 2008 FEH purchase. We simply asked the dealer and had to supply a transcript.

The 2009 FEH has a larger, more powerful/advanced engine (2.5L) than the 2008 FEH (2.3L) and also includes the AdvanceTrac system with Roll Stability Control. It is also rated a little bit higher in the EPA ratings and by most reports appears to be even more fuel efficient.

If you're not set on an SUV, there's a lot of other factors to look at and the FEH may not be the best choice for your needs. I highly recommend that you take a long term approach when looking at your true traveling needs. But if you do feel an SUV is where you want to go, you can't go wrong with an FEH!

Happy shopping and be sure to thank your mother for all the support!

P.S. Escape Hybrid cabs in NYC have logged well over 175,000miles without any issues.

Last edited by MyPart; 02-18-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

FWIW starting in 2009, the Hybrid Escape and Gas Only Escape/Mariners have the exact same tires.

If you get a "good one" the car will probably last longer, and have lower operating costs than a gas only. However, while it is painful for me to say this, it IS a crap shoot. If you are unlucky and get a "bad one" ( There are a few problem cars of each model with any car, any manufacturer, just the law of averages ) it could cost quite a bit more. ( unlikely )

If you don't have problems in the first year or two, you probably won't ever, so those "extended" warranties at additional cost are usually not worth the money.

I've had repeated problems with my air conditioning. But that's really not hybrid related... so it's probably just a fluke.

HTH,
-John
73,500 miles and happy!

Old 02-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

I bought my 2006 FEH used with 59,997-miles on it. It had always been serviced by the dealer where the original owner purchased it. I have the service records from the dealer who was reselling it. The previous owner had two issues with it -- one was the brake light came on at about 53,929-miles, and the ABS light came on at about 59,975-miles. A few thousand miles later, the "Service Soon" message appeared, and the high-voltage battery door motor had to be replaced, and now I am dealing with a "Stop Safely Now" message that the dealer tech and Ford Hotline (Engineers) cannot figure out.

Based on my experience, you should get 50,000 trouble-free miles out of it, which you should get with any new vehicle, and then it is a crapshoot after that.

I would recommend a "loaded" economy car. You will have a car that is fuel efficient and has many features and will cost you a lot less than a new 2009 FEH.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Escape_from_Hanover
I bought my 2006 FEH used with 59,997-miles on it. It had always been serviced by the dealer where the original owner purchased it. I have the service records from the dealer who was reselling it. The previous owner had two issues with it -- one was the brake light came on at about 53,929-miles, and the ABS light came on at about 59,975-miles. A few thousand miles later, the "Service Soon" message appeared, and the high-voltage battery door motor had to be replaced, and now I am dealing with a "Stop Safely Now" message that the dealer tech and Ford Hotline (Engineers) cannot figure out.
Check this thread -- your dealer tech and Ford Hotline should definitely be aware of this recall, and you should be entitled to a free fix.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...007-mmh-15099/

Old 02-19-2009, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by dagan
Hello,
I'm going to need some advice here...any help will be appreciated.

I'm on the verge of graduating from college...and my mom has decided to buy (or at least significantly help me buy) a car. I'm thinking about a 2008/2009 escape hybrid.
a few questions:
are maintenance costs going to be much higher than owning a regular gasoline-powered car? I'm looking for a relatively low operating cost (which includes gas mileage) and I'm unfamiliar with how often hybrid-specific parts need to be replaced.

How many lifetime miles can i reasonably expect if I care for it well?

I'm a little scared of going the hybrid route mainly because I don't know what to expect from this type of vehicle. I'm a little suspicious, though, that this might be the same attitude most car owners/buyers have about 'switching over'.

Any help would be appreciated...thank you folks.
Why not a Prius..??

Old 02-19-2009, 09:05 AM

Where's the Loyalty folks?! Do we not all LOVE our Fords (Except Willard who considers any FWD a death trap)

Personally I had the opertunity to purchase just about what ever I wanted. I all ready owned an Expedition (lots of seating, power to tow the 1-2 times I year I rent a large tractor etc), and a Freestar minin van (again lots of seating, but lowsy mpgs). Our family size shrunk to 4 (The reason I had the $$ to buy whatever) and gas was an unheard of $3 -$3.50/gal (this is spring 08, not even hurricane season yet)

Living in the country in OK, cars are rarely seen, everyone out here has trucks, so the thoughs of sticking my kids into a car, prius, whatever seemed scary, not so much crash worthyness, more monster truck getting run over scared. Also there are pot holes here big enough you can lose a prius in! so I need ground clearance as well. Cargo room is nice vs a trunk in a car (altho again I have the X for extra space).

So it comes down to what you need/want. I like knowing there is a side safety canapoy std in the Escape. You might do a spread sheet like I did to help factor the costs. I think edmunds has a TMV, true market value, what a 5yr (or so) cost of ownership would estimate out to be.

Luckily I still got the $3k fed plus not knoing my state had an additional $1.5 tax credits. So I paid sticker, - $4.5k which is like $500 more than a similar XLT/Limited. Now an 09 I believe runs $3-5k more than an 08, and not wure what the fed credit is now.

Like mentioned earlier, fewer oil changes, but if you don't diy might cost more as I belive some/most insta-lube type places won't touch it since it has a hybrid sticker on the fender. Insurance could be cheaper, check with your company, saftey features add discounts. Brakes should last longer. It's been reported the original (05-07) Conti's last 80k plus (if you can stand the noise) Mine seems quiet now, can't compare to eariler years so I don't know if it's the tires or the new stlye that makes it quieter.

I take OK care of mine, it sits outside 98% of the time, I run it through a car wash every so often. But I did a decent wash, clay bar, wax the other day, and no nicks, scratches, paint is like new. I do park away from others tho, my X has over a dozen door dents from morons at work that live in the windiest city yet don't relize a door is like a sail!

I also replcaed (at the first interval) the air & batt filters with K&N. Not so much for a 'turbo' performance, but lifetime clean & reuse. Payback is 2-3 years for engine and like 1.5 for the battery, so saving money in the long run.

Also as mentioned NYC has a fleet, reports no major issues at over 100k miles. I fear our biggest expense will be replacing the HV battey, if/when it fails as the car lawn decoration with out one. Currently I think they run $4500, but in 8+years (that the hybrid warrenty period I think) what will they cost then, or what new technology can be swapped in instead? Allready have what 2 or 3 plug in private companies making batteries.

So I say get what you WANT, what fits you. obviously you like the FEH enought to post in here, if you wanted a prius, mustang gt, tesla, etc you would have posted elsewhere!

Good luck, and post pics if/when you get one!!!

Old 02-20-2009, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by wwest
Why not a Prius..??
Perhaps because Ford (meaning our economy) needs the money more than Toyota?