Toyota Camry Hybrid Purchase Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 12:18 PM
Enthusiast
Default Toyota Camry Hybrid Purchase Advice

Hey guys, I just test drove a Camry Hybrid and wanted to get an idea of what you thought about what the salesperson told me.

The salesguy says that anyone ordering a 09 Camry Hybrid is waiting 3 months for delivery due to the popularity of the hybrid models. He is saying that due to that fact people are coming in and paying sticker price for the vehicle and laying down a $2000 deposit and waiting the 3 months.

My question is, do you think this to be BS or does the power really lay in the hands of the dealer? I mean, if there is such a demand for the vehicle, is there any point to try negotiate the price at say 4-5% above cost? Any hints at telling whether or not this guy is telling the truth about the availability of the car?

BTW ... I'm in Calgary, Alberta - CANADA

Old 08-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota Camry Hybrid Purchase Advice

not sure about your area but yes 2-3 months is about right here. For now atleast with my area the power really is with the dealer, however people are finding good deals but they have to search for them (sometime rural dealers).

Old 08-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Enthusiast

Here in BC it's pay the sticker or walk, and that's for all models, nevermind Hybrids. They prefer to call it no-haggle Access pricing. That Toyota arrogance is one of the things that kept me from purchasing a HH.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well here in the New York area, I have been waiting for about 4 weeks on the Camry Hybrid I ordered for nearly full MSRP.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Professional Hacker

So Cal is sticker price... no more than 6 day wait.

Do yourself a favor and call ALL of the fleet departments in your area. They are not paid the same as the normal vultures circling the lots. The Vultures get a flat 20% of the markup on the car. The Fleet guys are paid based on volume. So the fleet guys are MUCH more willing to get you a car, ASAP. You still will not get a "deal" on the car, but at least you wont be raped for the extras.

If you are any where near So Cal, PM me and I'll get you in contact with someone. Hell, even if you are NOT in So Cal, you can buy one here, fly out and pick it up. In some cases that's cheaper than paying an extra $1500~$4000 over the sticker AND having to wait 4 ot 6 weeks.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I can imagine that hybrids are comanding full-price now that demand has hit all-time highs. I waited about 3 weeks for mine in August of '07 and got $1,500 off sticker price. I think the Southern CA area has so many pollution laws that they are selling even more of them, that probably explains the short wait.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast

I am also in the Canadian praries and that's what I was told by my dealer when revisiting after my TCH purchase. He said it's a 3 month wait Prius is worse. Mine was a 3 week wait back in June. Drove past the lot a few times overt the last few weeks and saw none on the lot. Said he had one recently and sold it the same day.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Enthusiast

Northern VA. Pretty much fully loaded for a bit ~ $1k off sticker. I used car buying service to figure prices (AAA, USAA, Credit Unions), and then looked to local, (closer) dealer. I could have argued for the full pre-negotiated rate (and probably should have). Ordered on 7/17 and was quoted 8-10 weeks, and new arrival date is about 6 weeks, based on latest update.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Enthusiast

LI, NY - I ordered a fully loaded on 8-16 for $1900 under MSRP and was told 4 weeks

Old 08-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm in Manitoba, and for us it was worth it to canvas the smaller dealers outside of the city. In May we went in to a city dealership and asked what they can do for us and their reply was 'we got one in stock'. We bought it 40 min outside of town for 2K+ under sticker.

Call around to High River, Lethbridge and Medicine Hat; or better yet if you are truly ready to buy send an e-mail to all the dealers you are willing to deal with and tell them "I'm buying this weekend, give me your best OTD (out the door) price by Thursday." Put in all the details, Base or Pkg B, what colour(s) you want or are willing to accept. Do this next week to hit month end, you just may get lucky and catch someone looking to meet a sales level.

Dealer cost (Canadian) is about 29.5K on the base. There are no incentives on the hybrid, not even low interest rates.

On a devils advocate note, depending how much you drive and how long you are planning to keep the Camry, it may make financial sense just to buy a non-hybrid Camry at a discount and use the price difference to pay for the higher fuel consumption.

Quick Reply: Toyota Camry Hybrid Purchase Advice

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands