More Cold Weather Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 06:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: More Cold Weather Questions

I wonder if there is a way to add one in using a separate power cord... You obviously don't want to draw the wattage for an engine block heater from the 110v plug by the shifter, but drawing 75 watts of power for a battery warmer wouldn't be as big of a deal.

That might be really nice for those drives home after skiing when the battery just doesn't want to warm up and I accumulate more SoC than the car knows what to do with...

To those who do have a battery heater on an '08, was your engine block heater installed by the dealership, or did it come pre-ordered with the heater? I know my dealer had to order a special wire harness because it took a couple of days extra (the ordered the wrong one originally). I wonder if they just didn't know to plug it into the battery.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:16 PM

[quote=kristian;193795]I wonder if there is a way to add one in using a separate power cord...quote]

That is a question raised last year when the 08 models arrived and we found out many of them lacked the wiring from the hybrid battery to the 24V/12V converter that is located under the coolant bottles in the engine compartment. All 2005-07 FEH vehicles have this wire regardless of whether they have the engine block heater or not.

The thought one can "charge up the hybrid battery SOC" with just the OEM wire to an electrical outlet is untrue--as discussed last year in the "Poor Man's PEHV" thread. This wire is used to connect to heater located inside the hybrid battery pack.

That said, Steve Woodruff out of Indiana--do a goggle search--
Name:  stevewoodruff.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  52.4 KB

Name:  autobeyoursstevewoodruffofindiana.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  56.6 KB

has hacked the Prius vehicle to create a PHEV. Don't expect Ford to honor your warranty if you decide to do this. Then there is Hybrid-Plus out of Boulder, Co for PHEV's.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:45 PM

That was a question in the back on my mind. I don't need a engine heater, but if there's wiring in the 08 to warm the battery pack, I'd do that seperatly. I can warm the engine in a matter of a few miles at worst, but when the battery stays cold, I can't EV for a long time!

So I guess that's not possible either?

Old 12-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I've posted pics: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ry-pics-20561/