Misinformation by Fortune Magazine....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Angry Misinformation by Fortune Magazine....

Hey folks,
Stumbled accross this falsehood at cnn.com (http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/carrev...fsb/index.html) --Click on the gallery and scroll to the Saturn Vue Green Line. It states: "Finish line: Highest fuel economy for any SUV and the cheapest hybrid SUV you can buy." Ummm....hello? What about the FEH? While I applaud GM foir trying to do something...anything....in the hybrid market...we all know the Saturn ain't up to the FEH in FE numbers.

Don't worry....already sent a "nastygram" WTF response. (Copied below)

"Hey guys,
I was reading your article on "Mileage Plus: Practical Fuel Economy" at http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/carrev...fsb/index.html Your article was filled with inconsistencies and misinformation.
For example, regarding the Saturn Vue Greenline, you state: "Finish line: Highest fuel economy for any SUV and the cheapest hybrid SUV you can buy." Not true. According to fueleconomy.gov, the Ford Escape Hybrid (FWD) gets 36mpg city//31mpg hwy for a combined rating of 34mpg. Compare that to your 27/32/29mpg for the Saturn.
In addition, it is known that vehicles (particularly hybrids) achieve 10%(or more)lower fuel economy in real world driving than the EPA. User reviews at fueleconomy.gov and hybrid sites(www.greenhybrid.com) indicate the Ford Escape hybrid gets close to the EPA average--~32mpg in combined "real world" driving. It remains to be seen what type of hit the Saturn would take in the real world given a hybrid system that considerably less robust that the Ford system.
I urge you to check the facts next time.
Nate Green"

I urge you read the article and send them an email also.

Nate

Old 12-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Misinformation by Fortune Magazine....

As I have a Saturn Vue (not hybrid, though), I also look at some Saturn forums. And from what I've read, their Vue Hybrid is no where near as good as the FEH. I've read comments from people saying mileage is around the 23-26 mpg area - which is the same or worse than what I get with my current Vue (FWD, 5-speed manual)! GM compares their Vue Hybrid to the 6-cyl AWD Vue, which isn't a fair comparison, especially since their Vue Hybrid is a FWD vehicle.

In other words, while I like the Vue, from what I've read to date from actual owners, the Vue Hybrid is not the SUV to get if one wants great mileage or a hybrid with AWD.

However, I do like my Vue and the Hybrid Vue is considerably less expensive than the FEH. So if one doesn't need AWD and is able to get decent miles with the Vue Hybrid, it may be the way to go.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Misinformation by Fortune Magazine....

As the article is 3 months old I don't know that you'll get much in the way of a response. The funniest part of it all is that at the time the article was written, GM was still about 2 months from getting a Vue Green Line off the assembly line.