Mileage Drop - from 34+ to 30 - 31

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Enthusiast
Default Mileage Drop - from 34+ to 30 - 31

We have a 2008 FEH 2WD with 137K miles:

Over the last month I've noticed my mileage steadily dropping, it seems to be holding at 31 now. When we used to fill up the tank mileage would read almost 500 mi. now it barely hits 440 mi.

Over the last 6 months I have had a few minor issues, first the MECS pump went, which I was able to replace. Then we have 2 elect. steering control episodes - where the power steering quit. Both were resolved by restarting the car. Since purchasing the car new, the only other issue was the battery vent door failed and was a warranty repair.

The car was at the dealer for service just before Thankgiving and they recommended, a coolant flush, replacing the spark plugs, and cleaning the throttle body. I passed at the $300 - $500 because I'm planning on taking it back to dealer at 145K for transmission service and will add the other tasks then. (I drive a lot of miles and am a believer in servicing the trans). I'm curious on the spark plugs, the previous set lasted 90K - and I hate paying $250 if the tech is only going spray carb cleaner in the throttle body.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has experienced a similar mileage drop, and what the cause was. The temperature here has dropped in the last week, but this started when the weather was still relatively mild.

The MECS pump set a serious level of distrust with FORD dealer service prices, $700 charge for $150 part that took 30 minutes to install laying in the dirt in my driveway - probably 15 minutes at a shop with air tools.

Thanks,

Old 12-12-2013, 07:41 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mileage Drop - from 34+ to 30 - 31

There are many posts here about steering column problems on 08-12 hybrids, looks like your vehicle will be one of them.
If your vehicle was serviced with the correct platinum plugs, yes they should last 100K miles as per Ford specs.
Servicing the tranny is likely to cause more problems than solve them, check the owners manual for correct service intervals.
Winter gas blends, low temps and tire condition would be my leading guesses for reduced mpg.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tothemax
We have a 2008 FEH 2WD with 137K miles:

Over the last month I've noticed my mileage steadily dropping, it seems to be holding at 31 now. When we used to fill up the tank mileage would read almost 500 mi. now it barely hits 440 mi.

Over the last 6 months I have had a few minor issues, first the MECS pump went, which I was able to replace. Then we have 2 elect. steering control episodes - where the power steering quit. Both were resolved by restarting the car. Since purchasing the car new, the only other issue was the battery vent door failed and was a warranty repair.

The car was at the dealer for service just before Thankgiving and they recommended, a coolant flush, replacing the spark plugs, and cleaning the throttle body. I passed at the $300 - $500 because I'm planning on taking it back to dealer at 145K for transmission service and will add the other tasks then. (I drive a lot of miles and am a believer in servicing the trans). I'm curious on the spark plugs, the previous set lasted 90K - and I hate paying $250 if the tech is only going spray carb cleaner in the throttle body.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has experienced a similar mileage drop, and what the cause was. The temperature here has dropped in the last week, but this started when the weather was still relatively mild.

The MECS pump set a serious level of distrust with FORD dealer service prices, $700 charge for $150 part that took 30 minutes to install laying in the dirt in my driveway - probably 15 minutes at a shop with air tools.

Thanks,
Well, I have the same model year but AWD. I saw my mileage decrease a year or so ago, to around 29 on average in town. I had to replace my A/C compressor last summer, which helped, and then recently I had my steering column repaired to stop the power steering failure problem. Other than that I've had the MECS replaced once, the ignition replaced/repaired twice (key kept "bouncing"), the front A/C blend door under the dash repaired once, and the hybrid blend door done once. I am still under my 7 year 100K warranty, and I'm planning on purchasing another 5 years and 60K warranty soon; probably a waste of dough, but my first warranty paid for itself and I don't want any big repair bills while we pay off a new car we plan to buy next summer.

After the recent power steering repair, my MPG mysteriously improved; maybe they reflashed the CPU or something. You might ask the dealer if there is an update for your vehicle.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by D-mac

Winter gas blends, low temps and tire condition would be my leading guesses for reduced mpg.
I would agree with this assessment. Also, don't just check tire condition, but also tire pressure. Lower pressure means more rolling resistance and lower mileage.

Realistically, its probably mostly winter fuel blend plus more ICE on time. Lower temps not only mean more ICE time on to keep catalytic converter temps up, but also means more time with the fan (heater) running, and also more regular usage of the defroster (more ICE on time). Its probably a very small % reduction, but shorter days means more time with lights on too, and that additional draw on the battery will have some impact. Those little things can add up to a couple of % points.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

If I am not mistaken, there is NO transmission service required for the eCVT. Check your owners manual.

Mileage drop occurs to all of us as the outdoor temperature drops. Figure 1 mpg per 10 degree F drop from 60F.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:59 AM
Enthusiast

I'd agree with the comments except that since we purchased the car new I've never experienced a significant drop in mileage like this - Winter or Summer. Granted the fuel blends may have changed...

We used to get pretty consistent 35 mpg which eventually dropped to 34. My commute has changed from a normal 60 mph average speed to about 1/2 of the 20 miles at 65 - 70 mph (in the last 6 months).

So it could be a combination of reasons - my main concern was that the mileage drop has been over the last month or so.

I think the recommended transmission service is at 50K miles. It is only a fluid change. As a former mechanic, I asked the dealer why they don't change the filter and was told because of the possibility of contamination and leakage.

Pardon me but I think this is partial dealer double speak bunk... but since I have not been trained on the eCVT I don't have the facts.

As taught in auto-mechanics 101 - Automatic transmissions experience bearing wear like any other rotating metal part. Minute casting imperfections and hydraulic clutch pack materal (designed to wear) generate a fine metalic sludge that collects in the transmission pan. The old school rule was that it is critical to not only change the filter but also scrub the pan to get all the collected sludge out of it. For two reasons.
1) The pan has a magnet in it that will collect any large particles
2) Trans. fluid is high in detergents and will loosen up the sludge and circulate any loosened materials through your transmission (fine enough to pass through the filter - usually a fine mesh screen). Also as part of a transmission service pressures are checked and bands adjusted.

Again not sure how much of this info is rendered obsolete by the eCVT design - but it still runs on fluid and has a pan to collect particles. Regular transmission service is just like changing the oil - oil never wears out it just gets dirty.

Not meant as a lecture, just after 20 years working on vehicles - it bothers me when dealers are charging top dollar for the bare minimums and less. I really appreciate the feedback since I have been out of the biz since 95' and know that there are many motor heads out there more up to date than I am.

Last edited by tothemax; 12-13-2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by tothemax
I'd agree with the comments except that since we purchased the car new I've never experienced a significant drop in mileage like this - Winter or Summer. Granted the fuel blends may have changed...

We used to get pretty consistent 35 mpg which eventually dropped to 34. My commute has changed from a normal 60 mph average speed to about 1/2 of the 20 miles at 65 - 70 mph (in the last 6 months).

So it could be a combination of reasons - my main concern was that the mileage drop has been over the last month or so.

I think the recommended transmission service is at 50K miles. It is only a fluid change. As a former mechanic, I asked the dealer why they don't change the filter and was told because of the possibility of contamination and leakage.

Pardon me but I think this is partial dealer double speak bunk... but since I have not been trained on the eCVT I don't have the facts.

As taught in auto-mechanics 101 - Automatic transmissions experience bearing wear like any other rotating metal part. Minute casting imperfections and hydraulic clutch pack materal (designed to wear) generate a fine metalic sludge that collects in the transmission pan. The old school rule was that it is critical to not only change the filter but also scrub the pan to get all the collected sludge out of it. For two reasons.
1) The pan has a magnet in it that will collect any large particles
2) Trans. fluid is high in detergents and will loosen up the sludge and circulate any loosened materials through your transmission (fine enough to pass through the filter - usually a fine mesh screen). Also as part of a transmission service pressures are checked and bands adjusted.

Again not sure how much of this info is rendered obsolete by the eCVT design - but it still runs on fluid and has a pan to collect particles. Regular transmission service is just like changing the oil - oil never wears out it just gets dirty.

Not meant as a lecture, just after 20 years working on vehicles - it bothers me when dealers are charging top dollar for the bare minimums and less. I really appreciate the feedback since I have been out of the biz since 95' and know that there are many motor heads out there more up to date than I am.

ECVT: No clutches, no pan, no filter, no bands.

I've experienced significant fuel economy drops 3 times:

1. Thermostat failed in open position.
2. HVTB cooling fans failed.
3. AC compressor failed.

Last edited by GatorJ; 12-13-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

I looked at the on line 2008 FEH owners manual and there is no service required for the eCVT thru 150,000 miles. See pages 297-300.
fordservicecontent.com

Old 12-23-2013, 06:20 AM

If you do local trips with several warmups from cold on a tank of gas in the winter you'll see mileage drop since each warmup cycle runs rich until fully warmed up.

You can reduce this hit on mileage by installing a block heater. Found a study by a North Dakota outfit that says that more than 4 hours on the block heater doesn't appreciably reduce the shortened warmup time any more.

On the Escape setup the wiring is present to also warm the traction battery. This shortens the time to get into engine off mode since the temp of the traction battery plays in this.

If you get the Ford parts they include a block heater, a wiring harness, & a transformer unit. Not hard to put in.

I find its worth it.