max miles in ev mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default max miles in ev mode

i just bought my first feh last week and was woundering whats the most miles anyone has drivin in ev mode i went roughly a half mile or a little more today its a 2005.

Last edited by cowboy; 07-25-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: max miles in ev mode

On this streach of road home form work, as long as I can get it past 30mph I can go 1-1.5mi before ICE kicks in for regen.

Now how far can you go after you run out of gas??? I believe I read on here someone said they went 15 mi, I don't believe it as I drop the SoC from 53-55 to 41 in that 1 mi run, so 10% drop for 1 mi, even if it let you drain the battery completly that's only 5-6mi tops...

Oh yea, congrat's!! and welcome!

Old 07-26-2008, 08:38 AM
OT7
Enthusiast

2005 FEH 4WD
1.75 mile in rush hour bumper to bumper expressway traffic.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Active Enthusiast
Smile Re: max miles in ev mode

thanks. when i was on my way hopme with feh the temp light came on the person i bought the truck from said it just started that morningb after he picked it up from the ford garage he had work done that morning but i took it that day i was on the highway when the light came onj the engine shut down i was able tp drive a little bit in ev mode i managed to get it going again to get to a gas station after i let it sit a little bit i cranked up the heat and put all the windows down and the light went out i was about 20 to 25 miles away from my house but i made it i just wen't to my local ford dealer and had the warranty transfered ove3r to my name but it won't be in my name till wed thew who does that won't be back till tues it takes 24 hr's to get into the system so then i can get the overheating problem fixed but with the heat on full blast it's fine.

Last edited by cowboy; 07-26-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

There is a stretch of road on my way to work about 4 miles long... mostly level with a couple downhill stretches and two slight uphill stretches. Speed limit is 40MPH.

I can usually take the whole 4 miles on EV mode only (holding 39 MPH), however if I hit a red light at the bottom of one of the hills, it usually starts up while climbing it.. but if the light is green I can usually coast up the hill just fine.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:16 AM

Brad, do you have a scanguage unit in your vehicle to read the hybrid battery state of charge? Your reply of "4 miles of EV" is the longest I have ever heard/read. Most owners report around 1.5 miles EV maximum. I would guess the downhill runs are recharging your hybrid battery state of charge (I assume you go down the hill in "D" and not "N") for this to occur.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

Depending on the amount of charge I have in my battery (how full I can get it), my last 2 miles to work is 25 mph. I can generally run about 1.7 miles in EV (to include a glide down from 45 before a right turn...)

However I can't get much more than 1.5 miles running EV from the start.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:45 AM

There is a stretch of road not far from my house where I can go 2.5 miles in EV, but it is a slight down hill grade. If I time the lights correctly, I get the full 2.5 miles.

I don't have any level places where I could try out EV, so the longest I've had was about 1 mile on a level surface.

I have also found that after a long EV the engine is really eager - to charge the battery. I definitely notice less power once the ICE kicks in. Sorry, no SG yet, so I can't comment on SOC.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

No scangauge. Wish I did, but the money's just not there right now.

I can't reproduce that length EV mode anywhere else but this particular stretch of road.

It starts about three miles from my house, and ever since they shut down a long stretch of interstate here (to redo the entire stretch of highway) they did a really fine job of timing the stoplights on the major roads so that as long as you do the limit, you hit green lights all the way through during morning and evening rush hour traffic. (As a result, traffic congestion has actually gone way DOWN ever since they closed it down for a year).

Anyways, it starts off with a pretty drastic hill.. going downward I have a good 3/4 to 1 mile of regenerative braking. Usually my charge meter quits reading "charge" by the time I get to the bottom. I think that forces the battery well above its max charge limit.. then it's smooth sailing for a good long while after that!

On another note.. my father and I went on a "Vegas Ride" sponsored by a local Harley Davidson dealership yesterday. We each put about 180 miles on our bikes, and I averaged 64MPG with some pretty aggressive riding at times. On one tank, my dad got over 70MPG!

Old 07-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

The estimates of 10% battery per mile are correct.

The software usually holds the battery between 40% and 53%.
Thus, the most reliable number, on level ground, is 1.3 miles.
You can count on that day after day.
If you can get your battery charged up to 60%, then 2 mi is possible.

It is all relative to the terrain.
I have been in EV for longer than 8 miles... when I was going downhill!

-John

Quick Reply: max miles in ev mode

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands