Major Brake Malfunction!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Early Adopter
Default Re: Major Brake Malfunction!

Not to mention that nobody at Ford seems to realize there are TWO o-rings in the assembly.

Originally Posted by nitramjr
You mean the o-ring that the book says to replace every time you do an oil change and that the FORD parts counter guy looks at you like you have three heads when you ask for it and that he then has to order for you?

I'm guessing we all know what happens when you bring your FEH in for an oil change.....

Meanwhile, back on topic......

Old 12-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Happy Hybrid Owner

Well, they say it's fixed, and I'm going to pick it up later today. Yea!! Just in time for a major snowstorm that's headed this way tonight. Phew! Apparently replacing the ABS Control Unit solved the problem, they bled and recharged the system, and ran it through a bunch of tests. The service manager said there's "a lot of paperwork" because it was such a major repair; they are going to mail it all to me when it's completed.

Everybody cross your fingers for us, that this is the end of THIS little chapter in the life of our "Snow Booger" (so named because it's good in the snow, is exactly the same color as our cat Booger, and also similar to those lumps of dirty snow that pile up in the spring, which seem to me like "snow boogers" in a way. I know, it's weird.).

I never wrote to Ford, we had major things happen in the family (necessitating a trip to Baltimore in our '02 Escape, I was thinking of sending Ford a bill for the difference in fuel usage) and there hasn't been time. My intention was not to try to speed things up, just to let them know what was going on, so maybe I'll still do it. This way I can add the "good" news that it DID get fixed (I hope...), the techs were very nice, they had it done when they said it would be (after learning of the supply problem), etc.

Old 12-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sweetbeet
Well, they say it's fixed, and I'm going to pick it up later today. Yea!! Just in time for a major snowstorm that's headed this way tonight.
So, is this one supposed to be worse than the "major storm" we were supposed to get on Monday? Of the 6" forecast, we got exactly none.

Anyway, glad they got it fixed for ya. I guess as long as they did it right and you have no more problems with it, 2+ weeks isn't horrible when you factor in parts availability and the fact that the techs were probably learning how to do this job as they did it......

Enjoy having it back. Good luck.

Ray

Old 12-08-2005, 04:35 PM
Happy Hybrid Owner

Oh, it's great to have it back. But I was ROFL when I turned it on and saw the average FE gauge reading... I'd heard about dealers "tanking" the mileage, but I never expected, in my entire life, to see "5.0 MPG" !!!!!

First time the nasty trip up the hill from town has *increased* the mileage! I got it up to 11.something in about 3 miles.

I don't know what all they did to it, but they must've cut power to all systems, because even the radio station presets were wiped out. And they took it for at least a 4 mile test drive, because the trip meter had been zero'd and then run up to 3.9. I guess the test drive was done by the same person who got those awful Prius numbers for Consumer Reports (that story was just run on my local news tonight, all about how Hybrids aren't living up to mileage expectations, quoting the CR numbers etc. Makes me so mad... but we've BTDT, so I won't rehash.)

They did clean it really well inside and out, gotta appreciate that. And it seems to be back to normal, so far. AND, now the local techs have some more experience; I hope I don't need to use it any time soon.

Last edited by sweetbeet; 12-08-2005 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Ack! Missing paren!
Old 12-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Rule #1 for just about ANY maintenance other than changing oil requires disconnecting the battery and discharging the electronics- so yes, everything was reset. Especially since they were hands-on in the elctronics and elcetrical systems.

Old 12-09-2005, 04:51 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Glad you got it back and it works.