The Low Gear Advantage

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The Low Gear Advantage

Originally Posted by MMooney
On my 06 awd if I am coasting down from at least 43, I get the beginnings of a turn off starting just inside 40. By the time the tach pauses at 500 or so and then drops, my speed tends to be 35 or 36. I can hold that on dead level ground, and go to an indicated 40 with a slight downhill in EV. It is very difficult to accellerate from 25 to 35 in EV without having a drop out to ICE,which is why I have been 'fake shifting' while in ev at about 20. Seems to make it easier to get to 35...?
Am I reading this correctly? You are accelerating from 25 to 35 mph while the FEH is purely in EV mode? I could never increase my speeds higher than 25 in EV mode. I guess the added weight of the equipment needed for the 4wd operation is what makes it hard to accelerate in EV mode without the assistance from the ICE.

Originally Posted by GaryG
Mark, you may have a solution for the AWD owners. Is your fake shift in "L" for the max regen surge? The FWD must use less battery juice to get to 35mph from 0 mph, but still, it could help us also. The higher the charge or SoC of the battery helps to stay in EV. Tomarrow, I give it a shot. Generally, I can go to 30mph fairly fast in EV, but go very slow after that to prevent a start up. This is why I use the P&G in EV from 30-32mph and glide in "N" to 25mph and repeat. The results is killer MPG for the FEH, but of course traffic must be considered.

It's getting hot here in So. FL and as soon as the winds come down, I'm going for a 20 mile round trip of 80mpg. The A/C will be a new test for me after that to maintain FE.

GaryG
I haven't tried the "fake shifts" yet since I haven't been too comfortable trying it yet, I'll have to try it. Though I've been able glide quite a distance (down a slight incline) with a speed around 45 mph.

Rich

Last edited by rihavo; 05-09-2006 at 10:01 AM. Reason: adding statements
Old 05-09-2006, 12:16 PM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast
Post Re: The Low Gear Advantage

Originally Posted by rihavo
Am I reading this correctly? You are accelerating from 25 to 35 mph while the FEH is purely in EV mode? I could never increase my speeds higher than 25 in EV mode. I guess the added weight of the equipment needed for the 4wd operation is what makes it hard to accelerate in EV mode without the assistance from the ICE.

I haven't tried the "fake shifts" yet since I haven't been too comfortable trying it yet, I'll have to try it. Though I've been able glide quite a distance (down a slight incline) with a speed around 45 mph.

Rich
Rich –
I also have a AWD and with a very steady foot – actually letting up ever so slightly on the gas as I approach 30mph – I can accelerate from a dead stop in EV to at least 35 on a flat road. The fastest I have – or is possible to achieve in EV or even while in 'N' - is 40mph, this is true for all FEHs not just the 4WD.

Edited Quote:
The FWD must use less battery juice to get to 35mph from 0 mph, but still, it could help us also. The higher the charge or SoC of the battery helps to stay in EV. Generally, I can go to 30mph fairly fast in EV, but go very slow after that to prevent a start up. This is why I use the P&G in EV from 30-32mph and glide in "N" to 25mph and repeat. The results are killer MPG for the FEH, but of course traffic must be considered.
GaryG
Gary I am pretty sure that your statement about the FWD using less juice to get to 35 - or even stay there – is true. I guess it has to do with the little extra resistance/friction of the extra mechanical components for AWD models. This may not be the answer because as I understand it AWD (Rear wheels) is only engaged when needed and not like a Locked 4WD. So without research I guess the AWD is basically a FWD unless needed.

I, like Mark, use the ‘fake shift’ at low speed (25-30mph) while in EV (and in ‘L’) also to get a boost in SoC and therefore a longer run in EV. I also do it a lot of times right before I drop it into ‘N’ for a glide to have just a little more in the battery when I put it back in ‘D’ or ‘L’ (depending on conditions). Most of the times when I have been coasting in ‘N’ and will be coming to a stop I am shifting back and forth between ‘D’ and ‘L’ to break. As long as your speed is above 30mph there is a charge in ‘D’ then shift to 'L' to keep the charge going for as long as I can without coming to a stop before I need to.

Just a thought.

Last edited by VietVet'67; 05-09-2006 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by VietVet'67
Rich –

I, like Mark, use the ‘fake shift’ at low speed (25-30mph) while in EV (and in ‘L’) also to get a boost in SoC and therefore a longer run in EV. I also do it a lot of times right before I drop it into ‘N’ for a glide to have just a little more in the battery when I put it back in ‘D’ or ‘L’ (depending on conditions). Most of the times when I have been coasting in ‘N’ and will be coming to a stop I am shifting back and forth between ‘D’ and ‘L’ to break. As long as your speed is above 30mph there is a charge in ‘D’ then shift to 'L' to keep the charge going for as long as I can without coming to a stop before I need to.

Just a thought.

At least on mine, I've developed a feel for it, especially if you watch the charge/assist on how much is enough to turn the ICE on. By avoiding that point, via fake shift, and with a good level or "declining" road, I can EV up to pretty good speeds.

The other point I wanted to make is that I realized just what a lazy braker I've become. When I slow down, I apply a minute amount of pressure to the brakes (when there's people behind me), shift into L and then drift in, applying pressure as/if needed. What's "worse" is that if I have to slow down a lot, I'll apply the brake pressure, shift into L, then release the brake pressure to compensate for shifting into L, then reapply if needed!

Old 05-09-2006, 02:00 PM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
When I slow down, I apply a minute amount of pressure to the brakes (when there's people behind me), shift into L and then drift in, applying pressure as/if needed. What's "worse" is that if I have to slow down a lot, I'll apply the brake pressure, shift into L, then release the brake pressure to compensate for shifting into L, then reapply if needed!
Right on - We make it sound like it is a Sin to acutally use the brake pads

Old 05-09-2006, 03:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Rich and Phillip,
Thanks, I'll definitely have to give it a try. The best mpg I've been able to see was around 34 mpg so far without trying the fakeshifts...

Phillip and Gary,
Do you know what the weight difference is between the FWD model and the AWD models. Phillip, as you mentioned in your post, the AWD model acts like a FWD model uless it decides it needs the extra traction and engages the rear wheels. However since the equipment (rear diff and all) is constantly on the vehicle(s), could this be the reason for the difference between in the EV modes between the 2 models?

What do you think?

Thanks,
Rich

Old 07-19-2006, 08:50 PM

Hi All

The LGA has some disadvantages if you drive in "L" all the time. Wayne (xcel), had me conduct some more test today. By accident, I found some results you maybe interrested in. I added a new section to my article at http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350 This maybe the most important find in awhile. It is for me any how.

GaryG

Old 07-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Hi All

The LGA has some disadvantages if you drive in "L" all the time. Wayne (xcel), had me conduct some more test today. By accident, I found some results you maybe interrested in. I added a new section to my article at http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350 This maybe the most important find in awhile. It is for me any how.

GaryG
I thought so. I argued that ages ago as to why you probably shouldn't spend all your time in L.

Good to see some numbers backing it up.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:30 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

In temperatures of about 85'F and above, the A/C is running nearly all the time to cool the battery pack, as outside air does little good at these elevated temps.

So... while you may be OK with the windows down driving, you might as well use cabin A/C ( in a white setting ) during these times.

Especially if you use a lot of EV and LGA, running the cabin A/C in a white mode may be the best of both worlds. I've noticed my ICE will not shut off at lights if the battery pack is hot. By running the A/C while driving, it usually acts as a pre-emptive strike, and the battery is cool enough to allow ICE shutdown, even in 105'F weather ( which I've had about 2 weeks of and counting )

Still getting over 40 MPG with A/C use daily, with good battery management.
-John

Old 08-01-2006, 05:14 PM

Keeping the battery cool with the cabin A/C cooling yourself will make your EV operation much better. If you start getting hot, so is your battery! If the battery gets hot, you and the battery pay at the pump and the lifetime of the battery.

A hot battery will not perform near as good as a cool battery, so why drive and suffer. You and I can get 45mpg in 90F if we drive EV, and keep things cool during acceleration.

Above 95F, keep the AC on max in the city or below 40mph! I go to the highway and draft myself.

GaryG

Old 08-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think tomorrow when it is 102° (in Boston!), I may finally break down and use the a/c on max.

And I was having a 38+ mpg tank too.....

Quick Reply: The Low Gear Advantage

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands