The Low Gear Advantage

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 01:03 AM
Default Re: The Low Gear Advantage

Thats great Steve, it was advertized that the FEH could only go to 25mph in EV when I bought it. I'm very happy about 35mph because I can exceed the 30mph limits like everyone else and still stay in EV saving gas. Even in the country roads where the speed limits are 55mph, I can do my routine of 35mph EV, charge with the ICE at 45mph, shift to low when the battery is full and repeat back to cruise control at 35mph in EV. It takes more time but with no traffic, its better and faster than riding a horse in the old days. If only I could feed the FEH grass instead of Gas!

Off topic Steve, on the yahoo FEH forum files on oil change, it says to use a " Oil Filter "B" Cap Wrench". I tried a "B" wrench from Walmart and it was to small, took it back and got an "I" wrench and it was to big. Have not tried the alternate # 5 Pennzoil wrench yet but what is the scoop here?

Rich, I'd take a compliment from xcel any day. The man knows his stuff on FE!

Gary

Old 11-14-2005, 01:35 AM
Early Adopter

The 25MPH figure was clearly an estimate for "typical" conditions. Of course most of us driving "typically" can't get through an intersection without the ICE kicking on.

The real hard limit is apparently 40 MPH. This is determined by the redline of the motor generator. Any faster and the ICE has to spin to protect the motor generator from overspeed. If you are going downhill it's possible to keep in EV up to 40. If the ICE does spin up it doesn't necessarily mean you're using any significant amount of fuel, however. There's an operation mode where the motor generator actually spins the ICE to consume excess electrical power that can't be stored because the battery is already full.

w.r.t. the oil filter cap, the one in question was purchased at AutoZone. I don't know if other suppliers use the same letter designations (sounds like they don't).

Originally Posted by GaryG
Thats great Steve, it was advertized that the FEH could only go to 25mph in EV when I bought it. I'm very happy about 35mph because I can exceed the 30mph limits like everyone else and still stay in EV saving gas. Even in the country roads where the speed limits are 55mph, I can do my routine of 35mph EV, charge with the ICE at 45mph, shift to low when the battery is full and repeat back to cruise control at 35mph in EV. It takes more time but with no traffic, its better and faster than riding a horse in the old days. If only I could feed the FEH grass instead of Gas!

Off topic Steve, on the yahoo FEH forum files on oil change, it says to use a " Oil Filter "B" Cap Wrench". I tried a "B" wrench from Walmart and it was to small, took it back and got an "I" wrench and it was to big. Have not tried the alternate # 5 Pennzoil wrench yet but what is the scoop here?

Rich, I'd take a compliment from xcel any day. The man knows his stuff on FE!

Gary

Old 11-16-2005, 08:29 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevewa
Gary, there's very little difference between the 4WD and FWD except some extra weight. Speeds and gearing are identical. So, I can cruise at 35 in EV mode too (and have done so), but I probably won't get quite as far as you due to the heavier vehicle. Of course if the two vehicles hit the same hill at the same speed, the 4WD is more likely to kick on the engine to maintain speed as it needs more power to get over the hill.
How do you do that?

Our 4WD will NOT cruise in EV mode anywhere near 35 mph unless it's downhill.
On level ground, the engine comes on around 20 mph or so.

Back to original topic, we get no detectable advantage in L either.

Last edited by AndyTiedye; 11-16-2005 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by AndyTiedye
How do you do that?

Our 4WD will NOT cruise in EV mode anywhere near 35 mph unless it's downhill.
On level ground, the engine comes on around 20 mph or so.

Back to original topic, we get no detectable advantage in L either.

I can get to 35 without problem (and was able to the week I got it) it's 40 that's so far too tough for me. The key is all in the touch, and watching the assist to help you out on how much pressure is too much. After a while, it becomes pretty easy to tell when you're getting close to ICE on, and that's when you back off. Also, on good flat road, you can maintain "moderate" EV pressure and you'll still accelerate, which is also helpful. Being in D is a big help, at times, as you can coast a bit as you let off, and then re-apply pressure if you're getting too close to ICE on pressure on the pedal. (Though, IMHO, it's easier in L to keep ICE off, so it's a catch-22 thing.) And I've even been able to set the CC at 35 and EV down the roads. (I suppose I could try to CC up from 35, it just occured to me as I'm writing this.)

I still haven't been able to get to 40 without coasting down from a higher speed and EV about, it seems real touchy about how much pressure is too much at that speed to turn the ICE on once I get around 37-38 MPH. However, I suspect road, temperature, and location may play bigger factors at achieving this.

Old 11-17-2005, 02:11 AM

Ok, listen up Mary Ann Wright! As just posted, some can get to 35mph in EV, some can't. It may be driver related or QC. I think its Quality Control at this point. Bill Ford, get off your *** and correct this problem if you want to make the best FE hybrid in this Nation. I've seen your adds so put up or shut up!

I have the dealer manuals and try to understand as much as I can about the FEH, but it is QC that is killing you. My alignment was off and the total toe was 0.17in! I don't know if it is equipment or personel, but get with the program. Things need to be perfect here!

GaryG

Old 11-17-2005, 09:10 AM
Early Adopter

Mary Ann doesn't care at this point...she quit about a month ago.

Most vehicles ship with less than perfect alignment. There is a range of geometries that are considered within tolerance. There are lots of things that can affect wheel alignment after the vehicle leaves the factory. Are you sure the alignment was off when you accepted delivery or have you hit any bumps since you've owned it?

Ok, listen up Mary Ann Wright! As just posted, some can get to 35mph in EV, some can't. It may be driver related or QC. I think its Quality Control at this point. Bill Ford, get off your *** and correct this problem if you want to make the best FE hybrid in this Nation. I've seen your adds so put up or shut up!

I have the dealer manuals and try to understand as much as I can about the FEH, but it is QC that is killing you. My alignment was off and the total toe was 0.17in! I don't know if it is equipment or personel, but get with the program. Things need to be perfect here!

GaryG

Old 11-17-2005, 09:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ok, listen up Mary Ann Wright!...
You're gonna have to find somebody else to holler at..... or will you?

Sorry to take this OT, but as I was about to tell you that Mary Ann resigned last month, I discovered something a little fishy.

I was searching for the thread(s) about her resignation on this and another forum. They're gone.

I searched for it on the net. The articles have been removed. I found a cached version here.

Ford's media site shows her still as Director of Sustainable Mobility Technologies and Hybrid Vehicle Programs, and also shows Nancy Gioia (who was named to replace Wright) as holding the same title.

Anybody know what's going on?

Old 11-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner

I can achieve and maintain up to about 34-35 in EV on TOTALLY FLAT roads, or downhills (though there it's tough to keep it from either going above 40, or getting the battery too charged, so the ICE comes on), but the SLIGHTEST bit of uphill (practically imperceptible), at a speed over 25, and boom, ICE is on (unless I don't press the accelerator at ALL). And even on the flat, if I depress the pedal more than about 1 millimeter (OK, it seems like that), at a speed over 20-25, ICE comes on. Most of my EV-only driving actually consists of simple coasting (no accelerator at all) below 30 mph, or slight pressure on the pedal at speeds below 25 mph. I don't try too hard to use EV-only, I find I get pretty good mileage (34-35-ish) if I'm able to keep the speed at 40-50, and rpms below 2K or better, 1.5K, on flats or gently rolling hills. My problem is that most of my driving is more "difficult" than that (LONG uphills, LONG downhills, stops, other drivers who I don't like to annoy by going less than the limit in a no-passing zone, the usual...).

Occasionally I've been able to get up to 37 or 38 mph before the ICE comes on, but that's very rare.

I think some vehicles are just more touchy in this regard than others; OTOH, maybe Rich or some of these other guys could do better with mine than I do. Or (back to my old lament, sorry), maybe I could do better out there in the flatlands of Michigan!

Old 11-17-2005, 01:24 PM

Steve, got the alignment 2 days ago after finding the inside front tires already worn at 15,000 miles. Already I can tell I'm going a longer distance in EV than ever on a full battery. I rotated the tires at about 5,000 miles so it only took 10,000 miles to show ware. The FEH never drove this good so it must have been off alignment before the 13 miles it had before I got it. Sure, it could have been knock off when it was loaded or unloaded. Overall I'm still very happy with the FEH and the alignment may improve my mileage which is fantastic already.

I didn't hear about Mary Ann till now but I read a quote from an her Asistant Director a day or so ago and thought that was odd. It may have been in the Tax notice for the '06 model which was just posted here on Greenhybrid.com.

As far as QC, the alignment is not as important as the EV speeds that very with everyone. Also, like others posting here I getting noises that come and go in the rear. Just heard a new one today that sounded like someone tapping on a drum for about 5 miles. It maybe coming from the brakes but it didn't sound like the on and off churp I was getting. Driving in EV with the windows down lets you hear everything.

I'm planning on buying another Ford hybrid to replace my '02 Explorer as soon as they produce one that can tow my boat. I heard they have a V6 combined with a six speed tranny that may work out in the next year or so.

Gary

Old 11-17-2005, 01:55 PM

Randy, thanks for the article about Mary Ann. Thats odd that they mentioned a 500 millon lost over last year due to quality problems. Thats not a good sign for Ford. Like I said, they need to get with the program.

One other issue that bugs the crap out of me is having to stop and hold the brakes till the ICE shuts down. I would have to go with no EV if I didn't. The computer hangs up like this all day long. It happens even when the battery is not fully charged.

Gary

Quick Reply: The Low Gear Advantage

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands