Looking for a technical overview

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 05:18 AM
Enthusiast
Default Looking for a technical overview

.. of how the FEH drivetrain works. I know mostly WHAT it does, I read the owners manual, been on the Ford website, but, I am looking for a more geek oriented technical discussion of HOW it does what it does. Something that shows cutaways of the actual engine, motor and drive train, with the major parts labeled. The short presentation on the Ford web site is too dumbed down

For example, is the electric motor and the transmission the same peice of equipment? I want to know what the machine is really doing. For another example, when you are driving down the highway, and the NAV screen shows that power from the gas engine is going to both the wheels AND the electric motor, and the electric motor is ALSO powering the wheels, but, its not pulling from the battery, just exactly what is going on?

In any case, I love the vehicle, multi speed transmissions and solo internal combustion fossil fuel engines are just SO 20th century.

Old 12-10-2005, 06:19 AM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: Looking for a technical overview

Buy the Ford Escape Hybrid Repair manual. It's probably several hundred dollars

Old 12-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast
Post Re: Looking for a technical overview

Originally Posted by frankthomas
.. of how the FEH drivetrain works. I know mostly WHAT it does, I read the owners manual, been on the Ford website, but, I am looking for a more geek oriented technical discussion of HOW it does what it does. Something that shows cutaways of the actual engine, motor and drive train, with the major parts labeled. The short presentation on the Ford web site is too dumbed down

For example, is the electric motor and the transmission the same peice of equipment? I want to know what the machine is really doing. For another example, when you are driving down the highway, and the NAV screen shows that power from the gas engine is going to both the wheels AND the electric motor, and the electric motor is ALSO powering the wheels, but, its not pulling from the battery, just exactly what is going on?
Frank – take a look at one of my post in For Us New On The Block (post 12)
Autoblog http://www.autoblog.com/search/?q=F...ybrid&submit=GoThere are 4 blogs that cover 5 days and all are pretty good but the one explaining the powertrain is 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid: In the Autoblog Garage Days 3-4.. It kind of explains things that you are asking about. Also for how to get the BEST MPG look at the thread Ford Escape Hybrid FAQ. Pravus Prime has done an excellent job in gleaning from all the threads

Also check out
The Low Gear Advantage and THE EV ADVANTAGE both started by GaryG - here you will find some of the best tips and tricks to help you get the most out of your FEH. If you look at the ‘Compare’ – ‘Escape 4WD’ you will see Privus Prime right at the top and if GaryG (2WD) did I am sure he would be at the top.him right up there at the top – also check out all the post by exel.

Oh on that Home button – all you have to do is when you are say in your garage, press and hold it down about 6 sec – I think it makes a sound – can’t remember.

Enjoy - Phillip

Last edited by VietVet'67; 12-10-2005 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 12-10-2005, 01:56 PM

Frank, I have the complete set of service manuals and there not cheap unless you can find them on Ebay. Go to www.helminc.com to find how to get them. One of the manuals that is very helpful is the Escape Hybrid POWERTRAIN CONTROL/EMISSIONS DIAGNOSIS. I would recommend it first if you don't want to spend alot.

And yes, the electric motors and generator are a part of the ECTV (Electronically Controled Continuously Variable Transaxle). This makes a repair, a replacement of the entire Transaxle much of the time.

GaryG

Old 12-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Early Adopter

Two suggestions:

1. The Febuary 2005 issue of "Supercharger" which is the newsletter of the Detroit Section of the SAE. This is available online as a PDF (a search should yield results)

2. The 2005 MY OBD System Operation Summary for Hybrid Electric Vehicles from the Motorcraft.com website (again a search on the file OBDSM500_HEV.pdf should find it for you). This is a very complete description from an OBD perspective but also includes the kind of stuff you are asking for.

Old 12-14-2005, 03:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

an' don't forget www.howstuffworks.com

they have a very good breakout of the (Toyota) eCVT- how the MG sets interact with the ICE, how it can spin/not spin at 40mph, etc.

Read up on planetary gears first, same website.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Frank Thomas:

___Although I am sure this link is embedded in one of the blogs or other links, the following might be what you are looking for?

Ford Motor Company – 2005 MY OBD System Operation – Summary for Hybrid Electric Vehicles

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 12-14-2005, 02:21 PM

Ecel, thanks for the link. Some of the info was better than the shop manuals.

GaryG