Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Let's save Ford - Who's in? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/lets-save-ford-whos-20272/)

08FEH 12-14-2008 05:26 AM

Re: Let's save Ford - Who's in?

nah... nevermind.

way2muchkc4u 12-14-2008 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by 08FEH (Post 193494)
nah... nevermind.

Heh heh heh heeh NICE... well if I read this right...
NICE!

travelover 12-14-2008 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by wwest (Post 193482)
"The US automakers created the middle class..."

No, the UAW "created" the middle class insofar as concerns the auto industry.

The workers would still be dirt poor if the auto makers had their way.

I think this was more true up until about WWII. After that a flood of poor blacks and whites, especially from the south, flooded into the Midwest. Profits were high and except for an occasional strike, the workers lives improved vastly.

I think it is a mistake to refer to the automakers as if every decision maker over a 100 year history was somehow lock step in a given ideology. I can't think of another industry that has done so much for so many.

wwest 12-14-2008 10:13 AM

"Henry Ford.."

The introduction of new technology and/or new breakthrough techniques, even manufacturing tecniques (case in point) often allows management this leeway.

Take Microsoft, for instance, just how many "stock option" millionaires, even billionaires, are driving around our streets (nice, NICE cars, THXBILL) due to "that" technological break-thru.

On the other hand what was the "parallel" impetous, other than simple greed, for UAW members to now be paid more than their worth.

I'm from Arkansas, raised in Tyronza, somewhat the home of the US unionization effort that begin in the 1930's. So I'm not by any means saying unions, UAW, doesn't have (HAD) their place. The problem is that if union management doesn't keep bringing home the bacon, more pay/benfits, then the members would undoubtedly begin to wonder "why pay the dues".

When we formed our company we here in Redmond WA we had to compete with the likes of Boeing for engineering personnel, now we must compete with Microsoft and Boeing.

When I was growing up in the south (1940-57) a good portion of HS graduates immediately moved north, a disproportionate share to the Detroit/flint area, for decent paying jobs. It is really nice to see that trend being reversed.

IMMHO the form of the bailout should be to ONLY cover the cost of new tooling to convert the industry to new, already existing automotive improvement aspects, and maybe sharing the cost of the patent licensing when that is an issue.

Even Toyota seems reluctant to use new technology, technology THEY own, across the board.

We need to more raidly adopt new technology, things like DFI, HCCI, Atkinson/Miller cycle engines.

And send the VOLT to the graveyard, NOW...!!

CNG, or even a mix, CNG for non-acceleration and Gas otherwise. CNG should be, can be, the interim solution until our power generation and distribution can be upgraded to a level that would support a nation primarily using electric vehicles.

By the way there is an abundant suppy of NG and WE happen to OWN it.

And while we're at it Congress should somehow outlaw the ability to advertise based on 0-60 times and the "like". Put a STOP to the industry's promotion/encouragement of the HP "RACE". We killed tabacco indistry's ability in this case, so why not...??

And again, I'm not saying eliminate the high HP/torque engines/vehicles, just "leave" them to the folks that are self-motivated to search them out.

PS: I currently own a V6/stick equipped 2001 Mustang convertible, had I been able to find one with the I4 that would have been my purchase.

The very minute Toyota upgrades their new 4 cylinder to DFI and puts it in the F/AWD Sienna I'll be knocking.....

Or maybe Ford should CLONE the Sienna as a Lincoln (no Lexus competition, of even ANY..), except for making it in R/AWD form, and adopt those I4 DFI/Atkinson technologies, or even Atkinson/Miller/West engine cycles.

colchiro 12-19-2008 11:00 PM

Here's the latest on the bailout:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxBl9...layer_embedded