Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Let's save Ford - Who's in? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/lets-save-ford-whos-20272/)

superserial 11-12-2008 11:42 PM

Let's save Ford - Who's in?

The GreenHybrid.com bailout package:

Tommorrow at the opening bell I will buy $1000 of Ford Stock at the opening price. The closing price yesterday was $1.84 close to it's all time low from not too long ago.

It's a gamble and I don't recommend you do it unless you have $1000 to play with, BUT I really don't think the Government will not bailout Ford and keep them afloat at least for some time. The fundamentals are shot but what I'm counting on is the Government money keeping them afloat at least until the economy picks up. I will probably hold it until I make between $5000-$10,000 or until the company goes bankrupt, but I'm counting on that not happening. If it does, oh well.

So, who's in?

super

way2muchkc4u 11-13-2008 03:37 AM

Re: Let's save Ford - Who's in?

If only I had that money... I did buy a FEH 2009.... hope that helps.

Red 11-13-2008 05:33 AM

You are the smart one. I bought $5k at $5.

I can't think of another stock that has the upside potential that "F" does. The recovery will occur just a quickly as the downturn did. In three years it could be as high as $15 a share.

twolostminds 11-13-2008 08:08 AM

Wish we could...It would be nice to offset the 47K our retirement account just lost.

08hybridok 11-13-2008 08:45 AM

If I had the $ I might, but I don't. I understand we helped Ford lose when we purchased our FEH, I hear somewhere, Ford sells tham at a loss to start with.

As for other Stock potential, check out LUV ! An airline still making profits, and announced 2 international code-shares to start in 09 & 10.
(Plus my wife & I would love to keep our jobs, not that we have a new FEH & House!)

BobB 11-13-2008 08:55 AM

Already have 3000 at $ 1.90. I'm thinking the government will come through and Ford will recover.

kristian 11-13-2008 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by superserial (Post 191140)

Tommorrow at the opening bell I will buy $1000 of Ford Stock at the opening price. The closing price yesterday was $1.84 close to it's all time low from not too long ago.

Yeah, but that doesn't translate any money to Ford that they can use to build better cars--it just helps another "scared rat fleeing a sinking ship" settle for pennies on the dollar with their investment.

I do think that Ford has decent potential upside, but I'm not bullish enough to put in money. The bottom line is that even if the government bails out the big three, the majority of Americans are finished with American cars. Even if they came out with a car that could beat the Japanese makers on every level (like the Mondeo or Euro Focus), it is not going to change the minds of people in this country who preceive the domestics to be lacking in quality.

08hybridok 11-13-2008 11:43 AM

The latest editon of the My Ford magazine I get, it showcased a few of the 09 or 10 vehicles Ford is bringing into the US market from abrod (Europen mostly) I don't recall what models were mentioned, and it was 1/2, the other 1/2 will be in next months edition. One I thing was a Focus and it advertise an insaine mpg #, like 68, or 86, or something way out there! 58?? I know it makes the Escape look like an Excursion in the mpg #'s.

Billyk 11-13-2008 02:49 PM

That was the European Focus with a diesel engine. No, this engine can not presently pass emission laws in this country. The other issue, is EU fuel economy testing is performed in a different (easier) manner than the EPA does here in this country. Thus, higher mileage rating for European vehicles. A goggle search on this subject will reveal the difference.:D

colchiro 11-13-2008 03:33 PM

I already gave Ford $34k, that should more than cover my share.

RE: GM, they don't get it. I supported them for 10 years before changing to Toyota due to QC problems. Now that Ford's quality is as good as Toyota, I gave them a chance.

For all the spending I've been doing in the last 6 months, if this country goes under, it's not due to my actions.

jsalva11 11-13-2008 11:21 PM

A few days ago I was invited to one of those market research events. I had to sign a confidentiality :zip: document to get in. :angry:

ARGH! Being here and unable to speak...

Did any of you guys go too? If you did, you should know what I'm talking about.

If I had money, and having seen what I saw, I would buy Ford stock.

leoashton 11-18-2008 12:08 PM

OK, I'm in as of today! Now I'll try not to look at it in the short term...

08FEH 11-18-2008 01:39 PM

Shame on the big three for pissing off so many customers for decades. Shame on their attitudes that they are doing the customer a favor by letting them buy their vehicles....

Yes I say at this point that Ford needs every customer they can get. Yes I say that losing even one is too many in these times...

Shame on you Ford, but after this fiasco with getting my feh (my SECOND ONE) I vowed never to spend another cent on your products...

And I never will.....

GOOD LUCK FOMOCO, perhaps if you do get bailed out, you will LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS NEXT TIME AROUND....

08MMHybridHappy 12-09-2008 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by superserial (Post 191140)

It's a gamble and I don't recommend you do it unless you have $1000 to play with, BUT I really don't think the Government will not bailout Ford and keep them afloat at least for some time. The fundamentals are shot but what I'm counting on is the Government money keeping them afloat at least until the economy picks up. I will probably hold it until I make between $5000-$10,000 or until the company goes bankrupt, but I'm counting on that not happening. If it does, oh well.

So, who's in?

super

Here we are less than one month after this proposal/suggestion and if you bought at $1.84 per share (it got down to around $1.19 some days later), you would have earned an 84% increase as of stock market close Mon 12/8 when the price was $3.32 per share. GREAT Advice. And it seems certainly possible - maybe likely - that the prices will continue to rise since it is becoming clear that Ford is in the best shape of the "big 3" and congress will provide a bailout package. - By the way Thank You - I'm in with some of my IRA money.... and glad I am.

travelover 12-09-2008 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by 08FEH (Post 191522)
Shame on the big three for pissing off so many customers for decades. Shame on their attitudes that they are doing the customer a favor by letting them buy their vehicles....

Yes I say at this point that Ford needs every customer they can get. Yes I say that losing even one is too many in these times...

Shame on you Ford, but after this fiasco with getting my feh (my SECOND ONE) I vowed never to spend another cent on your products...

And I never will.....

GOOD LUCK FOMOCO, perhaps if you do get bailed out, you will LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS NEXT TIME AROUND....

:cry::cry::cry::cry: Feel better now?

08hybridok 12-09-2008 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by 08FEH (Post 191522)

Huh?? granted I don't know your "fiasco" story, but the FEH is a limited production vehicle, and like all limited items, avaibility is ummm limited! Would you cry if you had a hard time finiding a limited production lamborguini, Rolls Royce, etc. etc.? But just because it's just a FORD, it's OK to complain about limited #'s.

Like I said I don't know your story, maybe it's the one of the price increase from order to delivery, and I agree, the price at ordering shoud be it, esp if $ down up front. If no down payment, like airline ticket, price is subject to change until purchased. But on that same not, if you buy the ticket and later the price for the flight increases, you should not be charged the new price, since you locked in at the original rate.

I hope, and feel it will, Ford survives. Im my opnion of limited knowledge, Ford products are better than GM. At least in the trucks I've had experience with. You close a door on a GM/Chevy, it goes clank like a tin can, you close a Ford truck door, it goes thunk, like something solid. & better feeling seats. But like I said, in my limited knowledge I've only ridden in a few GM products. Chrystler makes some good minivans tho.

08FEH 12-09-2008 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by travelover (Post 193168)
:cry::cry::cry::cry: Feel better now?

Yup! Thanks for asking!

That is EXACTLY the attitude I am talking about. If you don't already work for them, you SHOULD APPLY! You would fit right in!

wwest 12-12-2008 08:10 AM

Screw'm...!!

Along with GM & Chrysler.

I was a loyal Ford fan from 1961 to 1992...

Last new Ford was a 1984 T-bird.

It was bad enough having to deal with dealers that were purely out to screw the customer but by 1990 Ford, in comparison to Toyota, had clearly LOST their way.

Even an idiot would have recognized that the Prius HSD system would NOT be viable in a heavier truck-like SUV.

Now, put the HSD system in the unit-body CX-7....

travelover 12-12-2008 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by wwest (Post 193364)
Screw'm...!!

Along with GM & Chrysler.

I was a loyal Ford fan from 1961 to 1992...

Last new Ford was a 1984 T-bird.

It was bad enough having to deal with dealers that were purely out to screw the customer but by 1990 Ford, in comparison to Toyota, had clearly LOST their way.

Even an idiot would have recognized that the Prius HSD system would NOT be viable in a heavier truck-like SUV.

It must be great living in the past. Say hi to the Fonz.

08FEH 12-12-2008 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by travelover (Post 193386)
It must be great living in the past. Say hi to the Fonz.

That's funny because "living in the past" is EXACTLY what got the US automakers where they are today...

stevedebi 12-12-2008 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by wwest (Post 193364)

I guess someone forgot to inform Toyota, which uses the HSD in the Highlander Hybrid. Drat, did they blow it.

Of course, the FEH is far more fuel efficient than the HH.

Actually, Ford agreed with you above a certain weight - hence they dropped the initial plans for an Explorer hybrid in favor of a new 6 speed transmission.

travelover 12-12-2008 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by 08FEH (Post 193393)
That's funny because "living in the past" is EXACTLY what got the US automakers where they are today...

Right.......take the FEH for instance, now there is an old fashioned , low tech vehicle.

Does kicking the US automakers when they are down make you fell like a big man? :cool:

08FEH 12-12-2008 05:49 PM

Choosing not to buy their stock isn't kicking them and I don't "feel like a big man".
I do get to choose where I spend my money however. My business CAN be earned, and I don't "OWE" anything to someone who isn't interested in EARNING it.
It's actually the consumer that has been "kicked" by the US automakers and their dealers for many years, including me on my recent FEH order (my second feh in two years).

Your "it's not their fault" attitude is entertaining, it's everybody's fault but theirs isn't it...

Burn me once, shame on you.
Burn me twice, shame on me.

pjcollins 12-12-2008 07:31 PM

I helped! When stock was about 2.05 per share, bought 4,000.00 US dollars worth. Ford will prevail!

Billyk 12-12-2008 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by stevedebi (Post 193395)
I guess someone forgot to inform Toyota, which uses the HSD in the Highlander Hybrid. Drat, did they blow it.

Of course, the FEH is far more fuel efficient than the HH.

Actually, Ford agreed with you above a certain weight - hence they dropped the initial plans for an Explorer hybrid in favor of a new 6 speed transmission.

Ford dropped plans to introduce an Explorer Hybrid in 2001 when they could not realize the fuel efficiency improvements (25%) they were aiming for. They also had issues with the rear electric motor overheating. So they sold the "concept" to oops!:omg: Toyota which uses the principle on their Highlander Hybrid. The Highlander Hybrid is listed at 4500lbs while the CX7 is at 3900 for the AWD version.

wwest 12-13-2008 07:09 AM

Yes, where is Ross Perot when GM really has need of his management expertise.

Remember him, he was "AQUIRED" (via the Hughes "merger") and then FIRED ( with an EXTRAORDINARY golden parachute) from the GM board of directors because he said publically what he was saying to the GM board of directors who refused to listen.

travelover 12-13-2008 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by 08FEH (Post 193414)
Choosing not to buy their stock isn't kicking them and I don't "feel like a big man".
I do get to choose where I spend my money however. My business CAN be earned, and I don't "OWE" anything to someone who isn't interested in EARNING it.
It's actually the consumer that has been "kicked" by the US automakers and their dealers for many years, including me on my recent FEH order (my second feh in two years).

Your "it's not their fault" attitude is entertaining, it's everybody's fault but theirs isn't it...

Burn me once, shame on you.
Burn me twice, shame on me.

I think you should take your negativity and peddle it elsewhere.

The US automakers have made mistakes, but they have also created the US middle class, providing a living wage, health care and a dignified retirement for millions of families that could not have otherwise enjoyed this security. And this applies not only to direct employees but to suppliers, dealers in every little town and all of the businesses that benefit from that cash flow.

I'm sorry about your problems, but you are cutting off your nose to spite your face.

wwest 12-13-2008 10:27 PM

"The US automakers created the middle class..."

No, the UAW "created" the middle class insofar as concerns the auto industry.

The workers would still be dirt poor if the auto makers had their way.

Motown 12-14-2008 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by wwest (Post 193482)

Actually, Henry Ford should receive the bulk of the credit. As you recall, he started the process rolling in 1914 by paying his workers $5 per day which was more than double the rate that other workers were paid for manufacturing work and cutting the work week to 40 hours per week. The UAW should get credit for championing benefits such as sick leave and health insurance.

way2muchkc4u 12-14-2008 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Motown (Post 193489)
Actually, Henry Ford should receive the bulk of the credit. As you recall, he started the process rolling in 1914 by paying his workers $5 per day which was more than double the rate that other workers were paid for manufacturing work and cutting the work week to 40 hours per week. The UAW should get credit for championing benefits such as sick leave and health insurance.

:confused:I need to stop reading this thread... I might learn something...:zip:

08FEH 12-14-2008 05:26 AM

nah... nevermind.

way2muchkc4u 12-14-2008 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by 08FEH (Post 193494)
nah... nevermind.

Heh heh heh heeh NICE... well if I read this right...
NICE!

travelover 12-14-2008 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by wwest (Post 193482)

I think this was more true up until about WWII. After that a flood of poor blacks and whites, especially from the south, flooded into the Midwest. Profits were high and except for an occasional strike, the workers lives improved vastly.

I think it is a mistake to refer to the automakers as if every decision maker over a 100 year history was somehow lock step in a given ideology. I can't think of another industry that has done so much for so many.

wwest 12-14-2008 10:13 AM

"Henry Ford.."

The introduction of new technology and/or new breakthrough techniques, even manufacturing tecniques (case in point) often allows management this leeway.

Take Microsoft, for instance, just how many "stock option" millionaires, even billionaires, are driving around our streets (nice, NICE cars, THXBILL) due to "that" technological break-thru.

On the other hand what was the "parallel" impetous, other than simple greed, for UAW members to now be paid more than their worth.

I'm from Arkansas, raised in Tyronza, somewhat the home of the US unionization effort that begin in the 1930's. So I'm not by any means saying unions, UAW, doesn't have (HAD) their place. The problem is that if union management doesn't keep bringing home the bacon, more pay/benfits, then the members would undoubtedly begin to wonder "why pay the dues".

When we formed our company we here in Redmond WA we had to compete with the likes of Boeing for engineering personnel, now we must compete with Microsoft and Boeing.

When I was growing up in the south (1940-57) a good portion of HS graduates immediately moved north, a disproportionate share to the Detroit/flint area, for decent paying jobs. It is really nice to see that trend being reversed.

IMMHO the form of the bailout should be to ONLY cover the cost of new tooling to convert the industry to new, already existing automotive improvement aspects, and maybe sharing the cost of the patent licensing when that is an issue.

Even Toyota seems reluctant to use new technology, technology THEY own, across the board.

We need to more raidly adopt new technology, things like DFI, HCCI, Atkinson/Miller cycle engines.

And send the VOLT to the graveyard, NOW...!!

CNG, or even a mix, CNG for non-acceleration and Gas otherwise. CNG should be, can be, the interim solution until our power generation and distribution can be upgraded to a level that would support a nation primarily using electric vehicles.

By the way there is an abundant suppy of NG and WE happen to OWN it.

And while we're at it Congress should somehow outlaw the ability to advertise based on 0-60 times and the "like". Put a STOP to the industry's promotion/encouragement of the HP "RACE". We killed tabacco indistry's ability in this case, so why not...??

And again, I'm not saying eliminate the high HP/torque engines/vehicles, just "leave" them to the folks that are self-motivated to search them out.

PS: I currently own a V6/stick equipped 2001 Mustang convertible, had I been able to find one with the I4 that would have been my purchase.

The very minute Toyota upgrades their new 4 cylinder to DFI and puts it in the F/AWD Sienna I'll be knocking.....

Or maybe Ford should CLONE the Sienna as a Lincoln (no Lexus competition, of even ANY..), except for making it in R/AWD form, and adopt those I4 DFI/Atkinson technologies, or even Atkinson/Miller/West engine cycles.

colchiro 12-19-2008 11:00 PM

Here's the latest on the bailout:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxBl9...layer_embedded