lack of A/C cooling for the battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 11:49 AM
2009 MMH
Default lack of A/C cooling for the battery

A year ago on a hot day, after driving at freeway speeds an hour towing a trailer got the "stop safely now" shut down on I5 in LA
So since then I replaced an old MECS pump, blend door, scroll valve in the compressor thinking all will be fine now
Forscan verified both battery fans work then and work now
Yesterday, on a hot day after being on the freeway an hour, got it again, this time shortly after getting to my off ramp
I have never noticed the refrigerant lines under the car back there being cold or even cool to the touch but the fans were running
The A/C works great for the cabin, ice cold, just not for the battery
Is there a diverter valve or something else that's stuck I should be looking for, or directing an A/C guy to
Thanks

Old 09-25-2023, 12:45 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: lack of A/C cooling for the battery

Originally Posted by bkorbin
A year ago on a hot day, after driving at freeway speeds an hour towing a trailer got the "stop safely now" shut down on I5 in LA
So since then I replaced an old MECS pump, blend door, scroll valve in the compressor thinking all will be fine now
Forscan verified both battery fans work then and work now
Yesterday, on a hot day after being on the freeway an hour, got it again, this time shortly after getting to my off ramp
I have never noticed the refrigerant lines under the car back there being cold or even cool to the touch but the fans were running
The A/C works great for the cabin, ice cold, just not for the battery
Is there a diverter valve or something else that's stuck I should be looking for, or directing an A/C guy to
Thanks
In short, yes. There was a zone valve, a diverter valve in the 2005-2008's.

Old 09-25-2023, 04:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

You can trying vacuuming the intake cooling vent - not likely to help.
A better idea if there is "no apparent issue" apart from battery overheating on very hot days is to keep your cabin ice cold and take the carpet off your battery area to increase heat transfer from the metal battery cover to the inside air. There is a possibility that the SSN message stems from an overheating transmission since the 2009's did not have an airconditioned battery to my recollection. Good luck!

Old 09-25-2023, 09:18 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hippo the Hybrid
You can trying vacuuming the intake cooling vent - not likely to help.
A better idea if there is "no apparent issue" apart from battery overheating on very hot days is to keep your cabin ice cold and take the carpet off your battery area to increase heat transfer from the metal battery cover to the inside air. There is a possibility that the SSN message stems from an overheating transmission since the 2009's did not have an airconditioned battery to my recollection. Good luck!
05-09 had battery A/C. Discontinued in 2010.
05-08 had battery jump starter. Discontinued in 2009.

Old 11-19-2023, 02:29 PM
2009 MMH

I decided to take it to the dealer and see if they cold command the A/C to cool the battery and test, they tried to diagnose but couldn't
I get it, it's very tough to duplicate the conditions that have caused the SSN, cooler weather now it should run fine until next summer