Keep blowing fuses....

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default Keep blowing fuses....

The front DC power outlet fuse has blown 3 times now. I am using it to charge my cell phone and it goes out about once a week. I always pull the charger out of the socket when the phone battery is full not to draw overnight.

According to the manual, it seems to be the only power on the circuit. Any ideas before I bring this into the shop and let the mechs have a go of it?

VWs are supposed to have electrical problems, not the FEH !

Old 12-05-2007, 05:56 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Keep blowing fuses....

Does it blow without the charger plugged in? If so you probably have a problem in the car circuit. However, if it only blows with the charger in use, I would replace the cell phone charger before I turned it over to the mechanics.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by teperilloux
The front DC power outlet fuse has blown 3 times now. I am using it to charge my cell phone and it goes out about once a week. I always pull the charger out of the socket when the phone battery is full not to draw overnight.

According to the manual, it seems to be the only power on the circuit. Any ideas before I bring this into the shop and let the mechs have a go of it?

VWs are supposed to have electrical problems, not the FEH !
Charger's use switching power supplies. They sometimes don't deal well with the "simulated" AC waveform that is typically generated by a power inverter on a car. MOST of the time, the combination will work fine, but sometimes there can be an interaction. That might be what is happening with your charger and FEH, unforatunately.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:34 AM
HEV's are your friend

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Charger's use switching power supplies. They sometimes don't deal well with the "simulated" AC waveform that is typically generated by a power inverter on a car. MOST of the time, the combination will work fine, but sometimes there can be an interaction. That might be what is happening with your charger and FEH, unforatunately.
I believe he was referencing the DC outlet, not the AC outlet.

I would check to ensure it is not the cell phone charger first, as is likely the case.

Does the fuse trip when plugging or unplugging the unit? Or simply when it is in place?

Old 12-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenG
Does it blow without the charger plugged in? If so you probably have a problem in the car circuit. However, if it only blows with the charger in use, I would replace the cell phone charger before I turned it over to the mechanics.
I've used the rear DC charger 5 or 6 times without problems. I think I'll only use the rear DC outlet the next couple weeks to replicate the problem. If so, you're right, it's most likely the charger.

I've never seen it actually blow. I just plug it in and it doesn't work.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by EOppie
I believe he was referencing the DC outlet, not the AC outlet.

I would check to ensure it is not the cell phone charger first, as is likely the case.

Does the fuse trip when plugging or unplugging the unit? Or simply when it is in place?
You are correct! I read past that. I once had a dual DC outlet extender. When I pushed it in all the way the darn thing would contact both terminals at the same time and blow fuses. Is there any chance the charger plug is doing the same thing.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:40 PM
Feral Engineer

You are correct! I read past that. I once had a dual DC outlet extender. When I pushed it in all the way the darn thing would contact both terminals at the same time and blow fuses. Is there any chance the charger plug is doing the same thing.
Your post made me curious because I had the same problem with a dual outlet adapter from Target. I took it apart tonight and found that the center (positive) terminal tensioner uses a long coil spring that bows and shorts out when it is pressed in firmly. Another gift from our friends in China, I suspect.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

It sounds like you guys have this one figured out.
I highly suspect it is the actual plug, as Tom describes, that is causing the short.

If it was a problem with the car, the fuse would blow the instant you replaced it, not hours, or days later.

I would be surprised if it was something not related to the device being plugged in.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by travelover
Your post made me curious because I had the same problem with a dual outlet adapter from Target. I took it apart tonight and found that the center (positive) terminal tensioner uses a long coil spring that bows and shorts out when it is pressed in firmly. Another gift from our friends in China, I suspect.
Hmmm.... probably just needs more lead.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:52 AM

Hmmm.... probably just needs more lead.
I don't think so Tim, China know these are not toys!

GaryG