K & N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Taos Hybrid owner
Smile K & N Air Filter

I just received an email from K & N Filters indicating that they now have a
air filter available for the 2006 FEH (2005, also??). If you are not familiar
with K & N filters, you should check out their web site. (http://www.knfilters.com)
They are pricey, but can be cleaned with fluid you buy from them, also, last FOREVER if taken care of properly, and work much better than conventional filters. We have one in our other vehicle as well as having used them in past vehicles.

Year Model Engine Comment Product Type Part Number Description 2006 ESCAPE HYBRID 2.3L L4 F/I All Air Filter 33-2347 NEW! Replacement Air Filter

Pambolita

Last edited by pambolita; 06-29-2006 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: K & N Air Filter

Cool!! And Hi! You're almost my neighbor!

Did you know there is also a Yamaha K&N motorcycle filter that fits ( and fits well ) for the rear battery air filter?

Shoot... I had the part number sitting here for a year, now lost it.
Basically, seach K&N by size.

Measure the size of the battery filter ( it's something like 3.5" x 5.5"x 0.5" but don't use that, measure... I'm going off a year's old memory. ).

Like the others, it's washable, and will last the life of the car. $40... about twice the price of Ford's, but if you are in a dusty environment, will be well worth it.

The Yamaha is about an eighth of an inch too long, but it's just rubber gasket, easily trimmed with a knife, and does not effect the seal ( which is a rubber seal, not paper like Ford's ).

If you want one, and can't find the part #, I'll do back to K&N and look.
-John

Old 06-30-2006, 04:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I am not knocking K&Ns as I have a set installed in one of my 300ZXs as I type. But there is a great deal of controversy about them. They do flow more air than a conventional filter, but this is not a benefit if the engine is getting all the air it needs to begin with. Several studies would indicate that some applications of K&Ns pass more dirt/dust than a conventional filter. One very real problem with them is after cleaning and re-oiling. If too much oil is used fouling of the mass airflow sensor can occur. If anyone is interested in reading more go to the bobistheoilguy forum. They have sections dealing with all aspects of automotive lubrication and filtration.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the info, Pam. I've been waiting for it to be available. I've put them in all my cars and my Harley as well.

John, if you find the part number for the rear one let us know please.

GatorJ is right you need to be conservative when you re-oil, however, I've used them for years with no issues whatsoever. If you keep your vehicles a while they will pay for themselves.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:56 AM

K&N filters may work fine for you. There is no doubt K&N filters flow better than paper filters. However, using a K&N filter I've experienced dust building up a ridge around the throttle plate to the point of causing a rough idle problem. Check this link on filters and dust filtration:

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Old 06-30-2006, 09:12 PM

I've had one in my Dodge truck since... since.... 1990! Wow! They do last forever!

I wash it twice a year and oil it very lightly... even use other light oil, and don't buy the stuff from K&N, and while fuel injected... is an older style engine though, so don't know about any complications with the FEH but don't expect any.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:18 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
K&N filters may work fine for you. There is no doubt K&N filters flow better than paper filters. However, using a K&N filter I've experienced dust building up a ridge around the throttle plate to the point of causing a rough idle problem. Check this link on filters and dust filtration:

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
I was going to print this same site. I personnally would never put a K&N filter on any of my vehicles. Dirt is bad and any benefit is only seen at the very very top rpm range which I never get near anyways. I'll continue to replace my filters every 30K with factory replacements. K&N in a dirty/dusty environment would be the worst choice unless saving money is the only concern.

Old 07-01-2006, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by worthywads
I was going to print this same site. I personnally would never put a K&N filter on any of my vehicles. Dirt is bad and any benefit is only seen at the very very top rpm range which I never get near anyways. I'll continue to replace my filters every 30K with factory replacements. K&N in a dirty/dusty environment would be the worst choice unless saving money is the only concern.
I would not take Spicer's study involving one application as the absolute gospel. You will also see he has a bit of an agenda if you have read his posts. Used oils analysis of vehicles running K&Ns generally don't show the elevated levels of silicon which is what you would expect if they functioned as poorly as you suggest. Improper installation/airbox sealing is also a concern.

As an aside, cleaning the filter 2X/year is counter-productive, they filter better when they load up a bit. Also, oiling with anything other than filter oil designed for that purpose is asking for trouble.

Old 07-01-2006, 06:55 PM

AIRAID makes a filter similar to the K&N, but unfortunately not for our application YET. This is a picture of the two for conventional Escapes. The AIRAID is on the right, before re-oiling. Thought you might be interested in a comparison of the two. If AIRAID does produce one for the Hybrid, that's what I'll use:

Name:  AIRAIDKN.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  37.3 KB

Last edited by GatorJ; 07-01-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:46 PM

I fully understand this. What you didn't know is, I live in a rural farming community. Dirt roads, farmland, and dust are more common than L.A. traffic jams.

I clean when they are dirty and/or full of visible debris, like grass/hay/bugs, etc.

Originally Posted by GatorJ

As an aside, cleaning the filter 2X/year is counter-productive, they filter better when they load up a bit. Also, oiling with anything other than filter oil designed for that purpose is asking for trouble.

Quick Reply: K & N Air Filter

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands