Interesting display with Max A/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Default Interesting display with Max A/C

At 103 deg heat index I said screw the gas mileage and turned the max A/C on. I noticed while idleing at a stop sign when the ICE would normally be off the Power display showed Battery power to Traction motor to ICE. Was the electric motor assisting the engine? BTW this has the latest software for the 07 FEH as it was just flashed last week. I noticed the ICE start up is softer and my mileage is down about 1 mpg.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:12 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Interesting display with Max A/C

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
BTW this has the latest software for the 07 FEH as it was just flashed last week. I noticed the ICE start up is softer and my mileage is down about 1 mpg.
There is a software upgrade for the '07 hybrids???

Though, if it decreases mileage, I might not be interested at all.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
There is a software upgrade for the '07 hybrids???

Though, if it decreases mileage, I might not be interested at all.
Walt, it is my understanding that unless Ford makes a change in an "as built" PCM program, the original program is to be reflashed. This is why the PCM stores the original program to be reflashed to the working side of the PCM. If the storage side of the PCM is defective, or a completely new PCM must be installed, they will try to retrieve the stored data to program the new PCM to the "as built" program. If that is not possible, the tech may have to call the Ford "Hotline" to transfer "as built" data to his diagnostic tool. The tech is only to contact the As Built Center if the old PCM cannot be used or the data is corrupt ('05 PCM/ED Manual, page 2-6).

The reason you can't use a PCM program meant for an older or newer vehicle is because of changes in equipment, options etc.. An example was my '05 FEH did not come with the key coded security system because Ford had not designed the PCM program to work properly with the FEH yet. Another example was my '05 was not suppose to come with autolocks and it did. Ford was having problems with a conflict with the program, so they waited till the '06 model for a fix. Turns out I had a problem with a strong burning smell and then lost the autolock feature. The Hybrid Tech would not reprogram autolock in my vehicle, but reprogrammed the key in the ignition unlock system so I couldn't lock the doors with the keys in the ignition. When I lost autolock, I lost both systems at the same time.

This is the reason I've heard that you just don't want new PCM programming unless Ford makes a program fix for a recall. I haven't heard of that yet, so don't hold your breath that reprogramming with newer software will improve anything. More than likely it would just damage the original equipment with electrical damage. If Mark had his PCM reflashed, I would hope that the "as built" program was used in my vehicle.

GaryG

Old 06-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Well the mileage seems to be comming back up. I think the computer has to learn the "fine tune" for my style and area/fuel. I do think they had to retrieve from Ford the as built data as I found a copy of an email from ford to the tech on how to install the download. They do have the ability to add patches or changes to certain aspects of the program to fix emmision and drivablity problems with out totally changing the "as built", it would be logical that they would include any updates when they flash a pcm.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
I noticed while idleing at a stop sign when the ICE would normally be off the Power display showed Battery power to Traction motor to ICE. Was the electric motor assisting the engine?
I noticed this same pattern on my 06 while sitting and idling ( I did not have the AC on). I was waiting (on a child) that took longer than expected and I wanted to drive away on EV rather than restart. When it came on, the power display suggested the battery was powering the engine. I assume it was coming on for battery environment, and I had the same thought as you......that it was just spinning the ICE with electricity to run the AC. Maybe.

It also occured to me to "gun the engine" (cause, you know, I'm a guy) and I found it funny that it wouldn't let me. It will rev to about 2000, but that's it. Sort of a "I'll play your silly game, but only so far" response.

Perhaps someone with a scan gauge can try this and tell whether the car is using any fuel??

Old 06-16-2007, 08:49 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

If coasting down a long hill, for example, the battery ( or more likely, regen from the wheels ) can spin the ICE so the belt can turn the A/C compressor, using zero gas in the process. This is possible, but is a rare event. Conditions have to be "just right".

Old 06-17-2007, 04:10 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

:a copy and paste from your owners manual on that issue:

"You may also notice during extended downhill
driving that your engine continues to run instead of shutting off.
During this “engine braking”, the engine stays on, but it’s not using any
fuel. You may also hear a slight whine or whistle when operating your
vehicle. This is the normal operation of the electric generator in the
hybrid system"

08FEH

Old 06-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah, check the manual. It explains that while in Max A/C and in defrost mode, the ICE will continously run. It will give you MPG like any regular ICE car because it is always on. Buit I agree the sacrifice for 100 degree weather is worth it. I do not like that in regualr A/C mode that when it goes into EV the A/C shuts off, or at least it doesnt stay cool, gets musty and humid.

After "idling" in EV mode for a while the ICE will kick on. I beleive it is too cool off the catalic converter (don;t quote me on that!). It shouldn't last too long and get back in EV shortly.

Mark

Old 06-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hybrid Labbett
I do not like that in regualr A/C mode that when it goes into EV the A/C shuts off, or at least it doesnt stay cool, gets musty and humid.Mark
I have been using Recurculate A/C and that does help some in EV mode when it's hot. It takes longer before it warms up inside.

-- Rick

Old 06-21-2007, 05:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hybrid Labbett
Yeah, check the manual. It explains that while in Max A/C and in defrost mode, the ICE will continously run. It will give you MPG like any regular ICE car because it is always on. Buit I agree the sacrifice for 100 degree weather is worth it. I do not like that in regualr A/C mode that when it goes into EV the A/C shuts off, or at least it doesnt stay cool, gets musty and humid.
Actually, even if the engine runs constantly on the FEH it will still get better gas mileage than the non-hybrid Ford Escape thanks to the Atkinson cycle engine and the CV transmission.

After "idling" in EV mode for a while the ICE will kick on. I beleive it is too cool off the catalic converter (don;t quote me on that!). It shouldn't last too long and get back in EV shortly.

Mark
Oops. Sorry I quoted you! The ICE will kick on for a number of reasons at a full stop.

One reason is simply if the battery gets drained below the minimum level...the ICE will come on to charge it.

If it is cold out, the ICE may kick on to warm up the engine (and keep the CAT up to temp in order to ensure the vehicle meets emissions.

If it is hot out, or if you have been using the battery alot to power the vehicle (EV mode), the ICE will come on to circulate coolant to the battery to keep the battery from heating up and going outside its ideal operating temperature range.

Quick Reply: Interesting display with Max A/C

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands