Instant Econ Calibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 11:13 AM
Enthusiast
Default Instant Econ Calibration?

Has anyone tried to calibrate the instant econ bar graph?

Jay

Last edited by jginaz; 08-20-2006 at 11:32 AM. Reason: add a question mark
Old 08-20-2006, 03:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Instant Econ Calibration

Are you trying to relate the number of bars to a fuel efficiency number? It would be great if there is a relationship. I bet if someone with a scangauge were to do some tests (calling GaryG) then the relationship (if any) could be determined rather easily.

I have often wondered why they would put this gauge on the cars and not put the instantaneous mpg gauge on there instead. They probably knew we would never stop looking at it.

Old 08-20-2006, 04:30 PM
Enthusiast

MPG per bar, or MPG per distance from L if non-linear.

JG

Old 08-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't think there's any correlation there. Theoretically, it seems impossible to quantify since it's "instantaneous." Any meaningful MPG number needs to occur over time and distance. Otherwise, I'm getting "infinite" MPG much of the time.

I think it's more of a relative thing... worse - bad - ok - good - better. If you want to see numbers, just use the Average Econ and reset it at will.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Default Re: Instant Econ Calibration?

I don't understand... there isn't anything to calibrate.... its on the same scale as the rest of the graph. If its three lines up you are running at an instantaneous rate that would get you 30MPG.... etc. If you are on a flat level surface and can hold the instant bar at one point longer than a minute you'll see what I mean. Basically when the average graph to the right updates the green will be at the same height as the instantaneous bar was... so its on the same scale as far as I can tell.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

I believe they're referring to the instant bar graph in the message center, not the nav unit.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Enthusiast

I don't have a nav unit so I was interested in a calibration of the instant econ on the speedo.

JG

Old 08-21-2006, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by randykato
I don't think there's any correlation there. Theoretically, it seems impossible to quantify since it's "instantaneous." Any meaningful MPG number needs to occur over time and distance. Otherwise, I'm getting "infinite" MPG much of the time.
You could say the same thing about almost any gauge or meter. Your speedometer only reads your instantaneous speed but we all us that all the time. I had a rented Buick once that had an instantaneous mpg gauge and it came in quite handy.

I'd prefer that to the practically useless bar graph that I never use.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by nitramjr
I had a rented Buick once that had an instantaneous mpg gauge and it came in quite handy.
My parent's old Cadillac had one of those. It either read 5 or 49, depending if you were pressing the gas pedal or not. Neither number was very helpful.