Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Instant Econ Calibration (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/instant-econ-calibration-9426/)

jginaz 08-20-2006 11:13 AM

Instant Econ Calibration?

Has anyone tried to calibrate the instant econ bar graph?

Jay

nitramjr 08-20-2006 03:51 PM

Re: Instant Econ Calibration

Are you trying to relate the number of bars to a fuel efficiency number? It would be great if there is a relationship. I bet if someone with a scangauge were to do some tests (calling GaryG) then the relationship (if any) could be determined rather easily.

I have often wondered why they would put this gauge on the cars and not put the instantaneous mpg gauge on there instead. They probably knew we would never stop looking at it.

jginaz 08-20-2006 04:30 PM

MPG per bar, or MPG per distance from L if non-linear.

JG

randykato 08-20-2006 06:10 PM

I don't think there's any correlation there. Theoretically, it seems impossible to quantify since it's "instantaneous." Any meaningful MPG number needs to occur over time and distance. Otherwise, I'm getting "infinite" MPG much of the time.

I think it's more of a relative thing... worse - bad - ok - good - better. If you want to see numbers, just use the Average Econ and reset it at will.

TeeSter 08-20-2006 06:20 PM

Re: Instant Econ Calibration?

I don't understand... there isn't anything to calibrate.... its on the same scale as the rest of the graph. If its three lines up you are running at an instantaneous rate that would get you 30MPG.... etc. If you are on a flat level surface and can hold the instant bar at one point longer than a minute you'll see what I mean. Basically when the average graph to the right updates the green will be at the same height as the instantaneous bar was... so its on the same scale as far as I can tell.

everythingsgonegreen 08-20-2006 06:59 PM

I believe they're referring to the instant bar graph in the message center, not the nav unit.

jginaz 08-20-2006 07:08 PM

I don't have a nav unit so I was interested in a calibration of the instant econ on the speedo.

JG

nitramjr 08-21-2006 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by randykato
I don't think there's any correlation there. Theoretically, it seems impossible to quantify since it's "instantaneous." Any meaningful MPG number needs to occur over time and distance. Otherwise, I'm getting "infinite" MPG much of the time.

You could say the same thing about almost any gauge or meter. Your speedometer only reads your instantaneous speed but we all us that all the time. I had a rented Buick once that had an instantaneous mpg gauge and it came in quite handy.

I'd prefer that to the practically useless bar graph that I never use.

WaltPA 08-21-2006 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by nitramjr
I had a rented Buick once that had an instantaneous mpg gauge and it came in quite handy.

My parent's old Cadillac had one of those. It either read 5 or 49, depending if you were pressing the gas pedal or not. Neither number was very helpful.