ICE is not shutting down

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ICE is not shutting down

Originally Posted by GaryG
Hi All

The term "engine braking" when the ICE runs up in RPM's, I believe is misunderstood here. As most of you know, my roads are pretty much flat here in So. FL and I didn't experience this situation till I began the use of charging the battery in "L" when reducing speed.

It has always been my opinion that the run up in RPM's was due to the HV battery overheating or is at it's full capacity stopping additional charging. The Traction Battery Control Module (TBCM) and Powertrain Control Module (PCM) determine battery condition, and prevent these conditions.

While there is minor regen still going on as you are going down hill or slowing with the ICE start up and run up in RPM's due to overheat or full battery, the RPM's has nothing to do with the drive axles. The only connection is the energy produced by regen or traction motor that's driving the burn off of that energy with the starter motor (generator) turning the ICE. Many times I reach a complete stop as this burn off occurs.

When I think the battery is full and cannot accept additional charging, I shift to "N" to prevent an ICE restart and run up in RPM's. The Scangauge reads Mast Air Flow as MPG even though the fuel injectors are shut off. This all effects the Navi average and the SG average.

In short, just shift to "N" at this point and use the brake pads to slow down when the battery is overheating or full.

GaryG
Hi Gary,

Why are you shifting into N? My impression from other threads (and the user manual, if I recall correctly) that the engine breaking is simply used to dump the extra energy generated by the regenerative breaking when the battery is full. What leads you to think it is caused by an overheating battery and something to be avoided? If this were the case, would it not be a design flaw?

The battery is protected by the AC, which is probably why the ICE does not shut down all the time, as the AC needs to run to keep the battery cool.

Thanks for any info.

Roch

Old 09-18-2006, 02:18 PM

Hi Roch

When the HV battery is full or at a predetermined temp, the Traction Battery Control module (TBCM) sends a signal to the PCM to stop charging from both the small generator and the traction motor/generator (regen). As long as you are slowing down in "D" or "L", the wheels are turning the output shaft and some regen is occurring. You are right, this energy is being disapated (wasted) though the small generator spinning up the ICE. When I place the eCVT into "N" during this time, the output shaft is disconnected from the axles. All regen stops because there is nothing to turn the traction motor as a generator.

Shifting to neutral stops the run up of the ICE preventing unnecessary wear, allows you to go EV much quicker while in "N" and keeps the Scangauge and the FEH MPG readings closer together. We think the Scangauge continues to measure Mass Air Flow for MPG, even though the fuel injectors are shutdown by the PCM. This will cause a lower MPG average reading on the SG which can measure a complete tank MPG average.

When I start out in the morning, my HV battery is about as low as you can get. During this time, I start pumping a charge in the battery with FS's in "L". Within one mile of my cold start, the TBCM senses a hot battery and sends a message to the PCM to stop charging. Remember, a low SoC takes a faster charge and this causes much more heat. This happens every day while its hot here in FL, even with the cabin A/C on. The HV battery is sometimes only half full at this point. As soon as I notice a run up of the ICE, I shift to neutral and tap the brakes to shut down the ICE. With the battery level half full and the CAT warmed up, I begin EV driving. Most of the time, I know when I'm getting close to a run up and shift to "N" to go EV power. After all, I have 29,000 miles of practice.

Those of you letting the ICE spin up on downhills need to shift to "N" and just use the brakes IMO. Your already using most of brake pads at that point anyway. What I try to do is use "L" a little at a time to keep under 40mph in EV or in higher speeds, maintain a safe speed till the battery is full. This allows time for the battery to cool between shifts to "L" if the battery is not already full.

GaryG

Old 09-18-2006, 05:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Those of you letting the ICE spin up on downhills need to shift to "N" and just use the brakes IMO. Your already using most of brake pads at that point anyway. What I try to do is use "L" a little at a time to keep under 40mph in EV or in higher speeds, maintain a safe speed till the battery is full. This allows time for the battery to cool between shifts to "L" if the battery is not already full.
I was with you until this paragraph. As you know, I use L pretty much all the time and now that I am used to it, it does't bother me to let the ICE spin up to 3000, 4000, 4500 RPM if it wants to let off a little steam. After all, it has a load on it so it isn't going to hurt the motor. Even if it runs at 3000 or so RPM for 10 or 15 seconds, that's a trivial number of revolutions compared to the several hundred million revs an engine sees over 100,000 miles.

Also, quite often when I am going downgrade and the ICE kicks in, I'm not on the brakes at all so I'll trade a few engine revs for longer brake life.

Now, to go completely opposite the topic, today it seemed like my ICE didn't want to come on. I left the office and headed home, taking my normal route. It was 85° or so and I ran the a/c for 5 minutes or so to cool the interior off. Once I got about half way home, traffic was unusually heavy so we were running around 35-40 mph. The car would go EV and seemed to stay there for great distances. Route 1 where I was is a pretty continuous upgrade headed north (maybe 0.2-0.3%) for 10 miles or so with a couple mild downgrades. I was hitting 42 mph on the speedo and staying there. It was great. My tank average went from 36.8 when I left the office to 39.1 when I got to the house. This was with well over 100 miles on the tank. This was in the '05. Just wanted to share that and didn't think it warranted a new thread.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:03 PM

Hi Ray

That's why I added "IMO", and it's good that you give your opinion also. As you know, I've stood corrected many times on this and other forums over the past 21 months. Many of the members don't have the SG and have the associated problems I do. My way of thinking has always been, get the ICE off ASAP.

As far as the brake pads, unlike GPSmans1, I do not have much if any wear on the front, and very little on the back because I use "L" too slow down most, no, all of the time thanks to you.

I don't want to brag, but here are my true SG readings "Today" mileage.

47.7 MPG average

24MPH AVG

47mph Max

4.0 Hrs

Max 4180 RPM

97.3 miles

2.0 gal

This was with the normal recir A/C on from a cold start. It got to 92 degrees this afternoon here in WPB.

This was a round trip back to my home where I started cold.

GaryG

Old 09-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Gary... I think your TYPO Gremlins are at work again.

Pretty sure you meant "like GPSMan1's".

In responce to Ray, I too have noticed one "super charge up" battery condition event, where afterwards, I got 6 miles of continous EV at 0-30 MPH over flat ground, with many stop signs. About twice normal. I noticed the ICE stayed on during stops with the generator charging a totally green battery a few minutes prior.

As far as the brake pads, unlike GPSmans1, I do not have much if any wear on the front, and very little on the back because I use "L" too slow down most, no, all of the time thanks to you.

GaryG

Old 09-18-2006, 10:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That's why I added "IMO", and it's good that you give your opinion also. As you know, I've stood corrected many times on this and other forums over the past
I've gotten so tired of typing IMO in every post that I make. I hope it goes without saying that everything I write is only my opinion or perception of something unless it is something I did or say actually happened.....

Maybe I will just edit my signature to reflect that......

Old 09-18-2006, 10:47 PM

John

Six miles of continuous EV on flat roads without any stops sounds impossible. That is 3 times what I get with no stops using P&G at the best speeds between 20-30mph.

Wish I had a battery like that so I could get 150mpg!

GaryG