Can Nav System be Added?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 10:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default Can Nav System be Added?

Is it possible to change out the 6-CD in dash head unit with the nav head unit? I know I should have probably just gone ahead and bought an FEH with it already included. Oh well...live and learn.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:10 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can Nav System be Added?

I would be 99% certain that the NAV would easily swap out with the 6-disc changer, however, I understand it is a pretty expensive unit so read the boards to determine if the additional features are worth the cost. I have it in my FEH and really like it. Others have complaints about the NAV system in comparison to some of the other units on the market. The Ford NAV system will include the mileage and fuel economy display that aftermarket units will not.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

I would agree with hdbillp. It's very likely that you could add it. But if I had to do it over again I might get an aftermarket nav system. I do like having the tank average, and the previous 15 minute mpg, but beyond that it's not really that good a system. It works, but mine has also gotten me lost before.

Since you asked (you were going to, right?), it thought I was about 1/2 mile behind my actual location. So every direction it gave me was after I already passed the intersections. Then it would recalculate, but still be wrong. It took about a day to get out of that mode. Finally I started ignoring it, and made it to my destination the old fashioned way, by guessing.

So I've actually been wondering if I could get the dash LCD to have the economy numbers (average mpg, instant econ, etc) like yours does, and then replace the unit with a Pioneer nav unit.

If it weren't $1200 or so for the new unit I might consider it more seriously.

Having a nav system is great. This one is just ok.

Old 09-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Forget the outdated factory NAV, for less than 1/2 the price of that thing you can get an awesome aftermarket unit. I paid less than $1000 for this Eclipse unit:

http://www.pbase.com/jmorton10/image/66287539

This unit is a MUCH better NAV system & also plays DVD movies & CDR/MP3 disc's. If you compare my screen with the tiny screen of the factory setup, there is no comparison whatever. My system has all the maps on one DVD instead of a pile of CD's.

~John

Old 09-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Struggler at large

Originally Posted by salsbr
So I've actually been wondering if I could get the dash LCD to have the economy numbers (average mpg, instant econ, etc) like yours does, and then replace the unit with a Pioneer nav unit.

I've been wondering this exact same thing. My nav unit is routinely off couse. like, by MILES. its very strange. I wish i could get the Honda/Acura navigation system. A friend of mine has a TL and its just SUCH a much better system.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:32 PM

The Eclipse system I have is the exact same system that comes in a Lexus with the factory NAV(Fijitsu 10 who makes the Eclipse system is owned by Toyota/Lexus). Lexus charges $3995.00 for the factory option.

I get most of the other readings from my ScanGauge II although I am still waiting for it to incluse a SOC battery reaing.

~John

Old 09-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Enthusiast

There are two reasons why your NAV is off by that much: One is that your car must be located in an environment where there is not clear view of the sky - the GPS must have a continuous view of 4 satelites at the same time to get a position. When it cant see the satelites it guesses where you are based on wheel rotations etc. If any escape spends most time around a lot of trees or canyons or tall building this is the case. This is just a limitation of GPS. GPS was designed for aircraft and shipping where there is always a clear view of the complete sky.

Another reason might be that your maps are wrong - if your always a mile off in the same direction for example then this is likely the case. Many maps were not created with the kind of accuracy that is in GPS and this can lead to problems. Many maps that worked for centuries were found to be miles off. This causes one to be wary of GPS in these places. For example for sailors in Baja California in Mexico, reliance on GPS can increase the risk of running onto a reef. This should not really be an issue in the US except in more remote places.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Enthusiast

If you want to add one there is a new system for an 06 currently listed on ebay at a couple of hundred bucks. I dont know much about it but its certainly worth that.

Old 09-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Struggler at large

Originally Posted by timcob
There are two reasons why your NAV is off by that much: One is that your car must be located in an environment where there is not clear view of the sky - ....

Another reason might be that your maps are wrong ....
Well, I'm in Phoenix and have a very nice view of the sky. My Explorist works very well around here. The other problem is that i'm not always off by the same amount. Sometimes its enormous, but sometimes its not. it never manages to correct itself during the drive, even if power cycling the unit. however, by the next day it usually recovers and is fine for a while. I've tried paying attention to my surroundings when i notice its not accurate (time of day, proximity to terrestrial obstructions, etc.) but i have yet to find a repeatable pattern.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:10 PM

The consensus opinion is that the factory audiophile/nav unit cannot be added to a FEH that didn't come from the factory with one.

But yes, you can add an aftermarket GPS unit.

Quick Reply: Can Nav System be Added?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands