How do tell the battery charge state

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Enthusiast
Default How do tell the battery charge state

I've read in some post about the battery being at such and such degree of charge. I have the nav system and there is a picture of the battery. The battery graphic never seems to change. Is it suppose to?

Old 01-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Default Re: How do tell the battery charge state

Yes, the green level goes down indicating the State of Charge (SoC) of the HV battery. If it's not going down, you are not driving in electric only very far. As the level gets near the bottom, the engine will "start" to recharge the battery. You don't need to fill the battery till you can go EV again, just put a little more juice in it automatically with the small generator or use the Fake Shift in "L" for heavy regen charging with the traction motor/generator.

GaryG

Old 01-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast

OK, I understand what you're saying. I'll watch it some more. This is my wife's car so I just get to "play" with some of the time.

Old 01-01-2007, 03:12 PM

One other thing Bill, I leave that screen on 99% of the time when I'm not using the Nav Sys. The Scangauge gives me the other data I need so the battery level helps me push the MPG with EV mode. This helps me judge stops for EV launches with enough SoC. Remember, a low SoC in the battery will take a faster charge. This is where I take advantage of the Fake Shift in "L" as soon as I get a restart of the ICE to recharge the battery.

GaryG

Old 01-01-2007, 03:23 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I also keep it on the battery page the majority of the time.
The width of the arrows tells me how strongly I can press the accelerator without tripping the ICE on. Usually, three degrees of "thickness" will keep EV mode. How many thicknesses are there? At least 5, maybe 6. Anyone actually count???
Good Luck
-John