Help needed. 2005 Ford Escape Green Hybrid -- wrench light

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 11:13 AM
Enthusiast
Default Help needed. 2005 Ford Escape Green Hybrid -- wrench light

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and would very much like help with an annoying wrench-light issue.

I have a green 2005 hybrid ford escape, 46,000 mi.

When I turn the ignition key but do not try to start the engine, a wrench light comes on which prevents the engine from starting. The message on the panel says "Stop safely. Service soon -- check brakes).

When I remove the key and turn the switch again, the the warning lights and wrench light go away. I am then able to start the engine.

Sometimes I have to do this two or three times, especially in the morning when the engine is very cold. This does not happen every time i start the engine -- say, once every four times I try to start the car.

The brakes have been replaced. The dealer and my mechanic have run the codes, but they can't figure out why this happens.

Recently, since replacing the brakes and putting two new tires on the car, I have noticed that I have lost 100 miles per tank. I am now getting approximately 22mpg where i used to get 30). I live in Boston, where it is cold, so the dealer and mechanic are blaming the fuel, which I can understand.

Any ideas?

It seems like the computer needs to retart itself, or the electricity flow is being compromised from the batteries, perhaps?

Any thoughts on what is happening here? Thank you. Please let me know what you think.

Ben Weisbuch
617 448 7624

Old 01-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Help needed. 2005 Ford Escape Green Hybrid -- wrench light

Moderator, please move this thread to the Ford Escape Hybrid section where many owners exist.

The drop of mileage with cold weather occurs to all hybrid owners. The colder air is denser and induces more fuel at the injectors. Do you have an engine block heater? Have you blocked the front grille openings to help the engine operate at a "normal" temperature.

Where did you purchase the vehicle-private sale/dealer/used auto dealer? Where was the vehicle serviced? Has the vehicle had the Sept./Oct 2007 hybrid battery harness recall work performed.

Many of us have a ScanguageII hardware unit that provides a lot of information that can be utliized in improving the operation and performance of the vehicle.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Help needed. 2005 Ford Escape Green Hybrid -- wrench light

Sounds like a defective relay.

When you turn the ignition switch, if the defective relay makes a good connection, you're good to go, o/w you have to keep trying. I suspect the problem's only going to get worse.

There's a thread here where they list the half-dozen or so relays and part numbers that they recommend replacing when you have this issue.

I'd just search for relay. I wonder if it might be this thread: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ely-now-11900/

Last edited by colchiro; 01-16-2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: added link