can i get help in my ford escape 2005 EV system

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default can i get help in my ford escape 2005 EV system

hello every body, im a new user in this forum, and i have some quistion in my ford escape hybrid 2005, i think ill find the answers here
first :
every morning when i turn on the car and the battery is fully charged it comes in EV every time i drive below 40 mph and this is great, but after driving almost 2 hours lets say in a highway its never get to EV and i dont know why even the battery is fully charged,

second:
ive read about the " fake shift" and using the L gear and the "double tap brake" and i dont know how exactly i can use these methods and force the car to go in EV.

third:
i have NAV screen in my car and i cant get the navigation CD for it,
can i update the system, is there any cd that i can update the NAV screen

i have to mention that i live in jordan ( middle east ) and the temperature is about 25c whats the suitable engine oil grade i can use

thanks alot for u anyway

Old 04-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Default Re: can i get help in my ford escape 2005 EV system

Originally Posted by sweidans
hello every body, im a new user in this forum, and i have some quistion in my ford escape hybrid 2005, i think ill find the answers here
first :
every morning when i turn on the car and the battery is fully charged it comes in EV every time i drive below 40 mph and this is great, but after driving almost 2 hours lets say in a highway its never get to EV and i dont know why even the battery is fully charged,

second:
ive read about the " fake shift" and using the L gear and the "double tap brake" and i dont know how exactly i can use these methods and force the car to go in EV.

third:
i have NAV screen in my car and i cant get the navigation CD for it,
can i update the system, is there any cd that i can update the NAV screen

i have to mention that i live in jordan ( middle east ) and the temperature is about 25c whats the suitable engine oil grade i can use

thanks alot for u anyway
Sounds like the electric motor, battery or converters are getting to hot for EV on those longer trips. It could be the Motor Electronics (ME) cooling pump going out or your A/C compressor is not cooling the battery enough. Both can cause this problem.

I came up with the term "fake shift" back in 2005 and I wrote an article back then at http://www.cleanmpg.com/ the article is posted on the home page here: http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350 . Read that article and if you still have questions let me know.

Navteq makes the nav sys and you can purchase CD's through them. I don't think they have CD's to cover the Middle East but you can always ask.

My recommendation for Oil is Mobil 1 5W-20 or any 5W-20 blend meeting the Ford 930 specs they require.

Welcome to Greenhybrid from the USA!

GaryG

Old 04-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

hello Mr. GrayG
i really read ur article and i like the way u describe everything, and thanks for ur reply Mr.

so about the EV system ? what do u suggest to get rid of this problem because i think its temperature issue, please tell me exactly what to check because here in jordan we are new in hybrid and the mechanics are not very familliar in theis new system

thansk once again

Old 04-11-2010, 06:59 AM

Saleem, if your A/C blows cold air then most likely your Mechanical/Electrical coolant motor needs replacing. This motor pumps a separate coolant through your eCVT (transmission) and DC/DC converter. There are two electric coolant pumps under your radiator, one for the cabin heater while in EV and one (larger) for pumping the separate coolant to the eCVT and converter. The ME coolant pump has a history of going bad and preventing EV. Drain the coolant and change the pump then refill the coolant.

GaryG

Old 04-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

dear,
what do u mean that " if your A/C blows cold air then most likely your Mechanical/Electrical coolant motor needs replacing"
when i turned on the A/C then its usually blows cold air !!! am i understanding something else man !!!
ill drain the coolant as u said and ill check the pumps

by the Gary, my car Ave. fuel consumption is around 10-11L/100km and thats in city and i have many turning on-off the engine , is it good average or bad ??

Old 04-11-2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by sweidans
dear,
what do u mean that " if your A/C blows cold air then most likely your Mechanical/Electrical coolant motor needs replacing"
when i turned on the A/C then its usually blows cold air !!! am i understanding something else man !!!
ill drain the coolant as u said and ill check the pumps

by the Gary, my car Ave. fuel consumption is around 10-11L/100km and thats in city and i have many turning on-off the engine , is it good average or bad ??
Don't drain the coolant till you determine the ME pump it not working properly. The PCM (computer) energizes the M/E pump relay by pulling the M/E pump output to ground when the ignition is in the ON position. So turn the ignition ON and check if the pump is running with the engine OFF. The possible causes for it not working is #2 (10A) fuse and #10 (30A) fuse, wiring, M/E pump relay or a bad pump. Make sure you check these things if you can before replacing the M/E pump or draining the system. You should get a warning light (service engine soon) if the relay or fuses are bad. There is no warning light when the pump is bad.

If you are getting 11L/100km that's 21mpg which I consider not that good for a FWD FEH but may be okay for a AWD. You should be getting on average of 26 - 30mpg in the city using EV mode when you can.

GaryG

Old 04-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

ill see the fuses by tomorrow ill check them all, and ill check the wires too, but when i look at the engine coolant, its colour is not as we used to see ( the green coolant )
man the temperature here in jordan defers from that in USA, my car was bought from USA - i dont know where exactly - dont u think that using the antifreeze for a temperature ( from 4 - 30c ) its bad ??

i dont know exactly , but ill see the pumps u said and i hope it will be a small problem ,

but u know , i really like the car specially here in our country we pay about 300% taxes for cars, and this one ( hybrid ) is free of charge

but i have to know why it wont go in EV all the time i like it when the RPM goes to ( 0 )

Old 04-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Addicted Enthusiast

One more thing to check- if your hvac selector is turned to one of the red settings (defrost, defrost + floor heater, or max a/c) your vehicle will never go into EV mode. The engine will run continuously in one of these red settings.

Assuming your dash switch isn't forcing the issue, definitely check Gary's suggestions. Sounds like something is getting too warm to allow EV. Best of luck!

Old 04-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

THANKS simple man i think u are right, but i know that the A/C should be off
but u know something when i use recycle A/C ive noticed that the vehicle can go in EV mode too
but tomorrow ill check the pumps and wish me it will not be a big problem , hops so

Old 04-14-2010, 03:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

hey every body ive came from the mechanic right now, we discovered that the A/C compressor run even the A/C control is off, is that normal
if its not , whats wrong, what should i check ??

please i have a headache today of going from one to one

please hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lpppppppppp

Quick Reply: can i get help in my ford escape 2005 EV system

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands