Hardwiring a Harman/Kardon Drive+Play iPod unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Enthusiast
Default Hardwiring a Harman/Kardon Drive+Play iPod unit

I'm trying to install a Harman/Kardon Drive+Play iPod player into my '06 FEH with the 6 disk in dash cd player. I don't know where to start to hardwire the unit for power under the dash. Does anyone know the best place to tap into and if I need to disconnect anything while doing so I don't kill myself?

Old 06-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hardwiring a Harman/Kardon Drive+Play iPod unit

I just "hard wired" my Sirius Sat receiver to my Mariner Hybrid. The easiest way I have found is using a "fuse tap". It is a small metal tab that wraps around a fuse and slides into the slot with the fuse. You connect the tab from the fuse tap to the positive lead of your unit and connect the negative lead to a grounded screw somewhere under the dash. The fuse panel is on the passenger side of the lower console and wires can be easily fed to it from under the dash sight unseen. Check your manual for an available fuse. In mine, fuse 32 is not used so I tapped it.

As long as you take the key out there is nothing to worry about assuming you are wiring to a fuse that is only powered when the key is ON....not that the 12 volts would hurt anyway!

Also, be sure to include an inline fuse holder between the fuse tap and the unit"

Last edited by Tim K; 06-10-2006 at 04:29 PM.