Grille covers ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Grille covers ??

No. If I don't see the expected results, I will fabricate something for the very bottom also.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I got my grille covers on today as shown below in the photo and link:

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...interCover.jpg
It was not very difficult to do this installation.

This replaced the cardboard sheet which was starting to deteriorate at one of the bottom corners. Note the custom bent shape!

Old 12-09-2007, 05:51 PM

Did you find it as ironic as I did that the Ford Emblem covers much of the FIA "window"?

I don't think it will matter much.
Nice thing about the FIA cover is it is quick on and off without tools if you ever get in a "hot" situation.

Thanks Again for pointing me to those. Looks professional.
-John

Old 12-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Living waaaaaaay up north (not actually Alaska but most of the way there) these things are pretty common. I can see how the material ones shown in the pics so far have a better insulation value but I was wondering what everyone thought of these kind .... (all for '08)

http://www.cloud-rider.com/screens_s...p?vhcl_id=5299

... looks like there are lots of different options and the "Classic - Winter Shield" sure would block the cold air during a drive. Plus, all of these block the bumper hole.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey there,

I'm up near Ottawa in Ontario & our winter temperatures yo-yo up & down above & below freezing.

The FAQs say to remove the Winter Shield™ Classic when the outside temperatures reach 0C or 32F & replace it with an All Season Screen -- I wonder if you could remove one panel (or two) of the three sections to improve air flow on warmer winter days instead of buying another pricey accessory ?

Hugo

Old 12-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

That sounds about right. We get those swings in temp too but here in northern Alberta you can pretty much expect it to be below 0C from mid November to March(ish) so I don't see it being too much of an issue.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:12 PM

I've run my FEH on 50'F ( 10'C ) days with the radiator 100% blocked and been fine. This car is very fuel effiecient, and less fuel used = less heat generated. In a std. car, this may be borderline on overheat. But I never even came close.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I recently blocked 15 inches of the lower radiator space with cardboard and had success with the vehicle going into EV sooner--about a 1/3 mile sooner during the drive home after work. Tonight I have cut a piece of 1/8 inch plywood this size, drilled holes for the zip ties, primed and painted the wood. Going to use wood because of the fear the cardboard will become wet and soggy from moisture at this low location.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:08 AM

Great Idea Bill. I may be doing something similar soon.
I think this is helping most to keep things warm when I use the EBH outdoors and there is a breeze.

I used to get up to about 65-69'F water temp using the EBH outdoors at 10'F. Last couple of times, I hit 83-85'F using the EBH ourdoors.

I get to about 100'F using the EBH in the garage.

-John

Old 12-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Feral Engineer

You can easily slip a blocking piece down from the top instead of letting it hang out the front. See my prior post here:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...r-block-15470/

My cardboard is still holding up, but I think my next iteration will use clear acrylic as sold at Home Depot for glass replacement.

Quick Reply: Grille covers ??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands