Good replacement for RX300?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default Good replacement for RX300?

So I have a very nice, low mileage 2001 Lexus RX300 (it's only got 30000 miles). 3-6 months of the year I walk or bike to work and only use the car for local errands, 3 months I drive about 5 miles to work, and the rest of the time I drive 25 miles at ~75 MPH on the highway. (I work at 3 different hospitals and am on rotation between them).

I love my RX300, it is very comfy I average abut 17.7 mpg over the last 10,000 miles.

With gas prices as they are here in the bay area, I am certainly interested in getting something with better gas mileage. It looks like the Escape/Mariner Hybrid gets about 29 or so from what people post. The new Camry Hybrid, obviously not an SUV but weighs about the same as the RX300 and the FEH, looks like it will be getting quite a bit more than that.

There are tradeoffs with both - the FEH/MMH is taller, SUV-like (in the same was as my not quite an SUV RX300 . Neither the Ford or the Mercury has all the features of the significantly cheaper Camry Hybrid, such as built-in bluetooth, standard curtain airbags. I do like the added height and visibility of the SUV-type cars. I suspect they are similar in terms of safety even though the Camry is a car and the Escape is an SUV - they weigh about the same.

So, I guess the bottom line question (and I am sure people ask this a lot) - given the sort of driving I do, how worthwhile is getting the FEH/MMH, or would I be "better off" getting the new Camry Hybrid.

Appreciate the groups' input. I am asking in this forum snice nobody actually has a Camry Hybrid yet, but lots of people have FEH and I am sure are looking at the Camry in comparison.

Jason

Old 05-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Good replacement for RX300?

I know it's not in your list but you mention that you "love my RX300". You may want to take a look at the R400h if you wish to keep the same interior feel as your RX300. The Highlander Limited Hybrid is also extremely comfortable on the inside is very close in feel to the R400h (app 90% in my eyes). You can save about 5-7K over th R400h and you will a near identical vehicle.

Based on your driving habits and you mention you do cruise around 75 on the freeway, if I had to choose between the two options you mention I would probably go with the Camry. I think you will find better freeway speed performance. If you can swing it though I would give the Highlander and R400h at least a look.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:22 PM
Enthusiast

I just don't get the feeling the Highlander Hybrid gets enough better gase mileage to make it worthwhile. I don't -need- a new car (as I said my Rx only has 30k miles, and it has an extended warranty food for another two years), so it is just the increased MPG and environmental aspects that appeal about the hybrid. I realize you give up a lot of interior feel with the FEH or MMH.

How does the MMH do on the highway at 75mph?

jason

Old 05-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Good replacement for RX300?

Well I am going everyday from work (San Jose) to home (Morgan Hill), my current MPG is 32. If you don't travel with 75 on 101, you'll get run over anyway. I tried 65 couple of times and I got flashed on the most right hand side lane. I drive a MMH, 75mph is still OK in terms of MPG. The road is flat in general. This is my latest MPG, before I changed my tire pressure to 42 I was getting 29 or so. You also need to consider in rush hour the traffic stops time to time (I never understood why left lane stops while the other ones go), having the MMH makes me feel good then.

Old 05-03-2006, 11:18 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by jse75

How does the MMH do on the highway at 75mph?

jason
FWD FEH --- A MMH will be 2-3 MPG less on everything since it is 4x4.

40 MPH = 40 MPG (37)* est. for MMH
48 MPH = 48 MPG (45)
55 MPH = 42 MPG (39)
65 MPH = 35 MPG (32)
75 MPH = 29 MPG (26)
82 MPH = 25 MPG (22)

Old 05-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I'm going to go test drive an MMH in the next few days. I'll let you know what I think. With X-Plan pricing (if I can convince them to give it to me) and 0% for 60 months it is a pretty nice price. If I trade in my RX I should be able to get into an MMH for somewhere between $10-15k depending on the options.

But I think the Toyota Camry hybrid will be actually less - looks like it will come in around $29-something without nav and $1200 more with, although no 0% financing. The Lexus and Toyota dealers here are owned by the same people so I may be able to get a better price for the trade-in vs the Ford dealer. TCH has some nice features - nicer interior than the FEH at least, maybe not compared to the MMH; also comes with standard bluetooth, climate control, pretty guages, etc, so I may try to test drive that as well if I can find it. No hurry (current car works just fine) so we'll see. . .

Old 05-04-2006, 05:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you're flipping the coin between the MMH and TCH, the decision becomes simply whether you prefer driving a car or smallSUV. Both have essentially the same hybrid system- optimized for city driving. So its not like you are trying to decide Honda vs Toyota/Ford for highway or city.

On drag alone, the TCH will do far better for fuel economy, but both will net you over 30mpg.

Personally, all things being equal, I'd add up the prices and let that be the decision. That, and simply how you feel in each.

ooral- the left lane is always slower in a (not-collision/lane blocking caused) jam because everyone likes to be in the left lane- its the 'fast' lane, isn't it? Years of driving experience tells people that left lane = faster. They forget that everyone else thinks the same way. Also, the right lane on a highway has people getting of at each exit, opening up some space there.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Enthusiast

I used to have a RX300 and really loved that SUV. It's hard to compare the RX300 to both the FEH and the MMH. I have the FEH'04 4WD since it closely resembles the same size and body of the RX300. You will be very dissapointed with the interior of the FEH in comparison. All of those extra placement holders and so forth are not included. The torque will be very different and the suspension not as smooth as the RX300. The interior insulation is pretty bad on the FEh so you can hear a lot of traffic noise. I haven't test driven the MMH, but it does use a different ICE engine than the FEH, and the body might have better insulation so I would check that out. It also has some interior improvements compared to the FEH that an RX300 owner might enjoy. I do love the FEH seats though. They are very comfortable for me and similiar to the RX300.
I also found the toyota highlander hybrid to be too wide for my taste. Eventhough it has many of the exact same components of the RX300, it's just too big for my liking. The RX hybrid is way too expensive to consider.

One thing you have to realize that with higher mpg you get lower torque and slower speeds. I miss the smoothness and excelleration of my old RX300. You have to get used to it and if you are a very patient driver, then I encourage you to try the MMH or FEH. Electric max cruise speed is 30mph, which in my books is pretty slow especially when you have average traffic of 40mph (even in 30mph zones).

Old 06-02-2006, 12:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

jse75,
I've read your comments and agree with some and disagree on others. First off; I do love my FEH 4WD, so when I say this you'll have to keep that in mind. When you refer to the THH, it has a V-6 mated to the Hybrid drive train. The FEH/MMH's have the 4 cyl mated to the Hybrid drive train. When you look at all 3 vehicles ratings. All three are rated at 29 mpg for highway use. However, when you look at the THH lists on this site, they aren't getting it. You can see by the info on this site, they are getting 25 - 26 mpg. When you state fuel mileage, you also have to keep in mind the driver's driving habits. I don't even come close to other FEH owners on this site. I get roughly 32 - 33 mpg and I drive about 70 mph on the interstates with very llittle city driving.
I have driven both the THH and the FEH. The THH has room for 7 passengers while the FEH/MMH has room for only 5. The THH also has more power then the FEH. The THH I drove was equipped with Toyota's 4WDi (their version of Ford's Intelligent 4WD)
The reason why I purchased my FEH was it's availability. I drove onto the lot, test drove 3 different vehicles, and left 5 hours later driving my FEH home. When I purchased my FEH, Toyota had waiting lists for the THH. I've also been told the Prius and the Highlander Hybrid both pulse themselves when driving at highway speeds (I've felt the Prius do it, not sure of the Highlander Hybrid) My FEH does not do this. My 05 FEH 4WD came equipped with NAV, Safety package (side curtain and canopy air bags) 6 CD DJ unit, appearance package, and leather interior. When I looked at the THH, getting it equipped the same way would have costed me more money.
I've owned my FEH since Aug, and I have driven my FEH for 25000 miles.
I hope I was able to give you other issues to consider when comparing other vehicles for your purchase.