It gets better & better!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: It gets better & better!

It is generally recognized that the Cruise Control is not well suited to the 2005-2007 models. ( Don't have data on 2008's )

With the eCVT there are an infinate number of gear "ratios" possible, and any number of engine rpms for any given speed. In general, lower RPM = Higher MPG.

For some reason, the cruise control, almost always, makes the CVT run the engine at higher RPM than you would "pick" with your foot.
Yes, you can, to some degree pick the RPM your engine is running at while cruiseing. Look up "Fake Shift" in these threads and others.

You can let up on the gas while crusing at say, 2400 RPM, the engine will fall to say, 1300 rpm, then you can GENTLY and slowly re-apply the gas pedal, and go back to crusing at your same speed, but now at 2100 RPM.
This is like "overdrive".

This little "trick" does not happen in Cruise.
Also, lower speed by 5 MPH or more on the uphill grades, and increase speed by 5 MPH or more on the downgrades. This is called "driving with load" ( constant ) rather than speed constant.

These two things, impossible with Cruise on, will net you 3-6 MPG more.
Promise!
-John

Last edited by gpsman1; 05-24-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Enthusiast

These tips are great -- thanks! We just picked up our new FEH today. I've never been much of a lead-foot, but I see there will be a lot to learn over the next couple of months....

Old 06-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrBigDog2U
we were sufficiently out of the metro area on flat open highway, I set the cruise control and let it take over for about 40 to 50 miles.

I was amazed. The next time I checked the FE, it had dropped to 24MPG. A drop of 6MPG by using the cruise control on flat open highway?
That doesn't seem possible. I don't use my CC a lot because the roads around here aren't flat, but when I did use it on a trip recently I got around 30 mpg at 70 mph & that was using the A/C part of the time.

~John

Old 06-03-2007, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by AMB4
- Drafting / Safe drafting trucks

This is the kind of thing you have to watch out for here, some of these posters think it is some kind of religion how high they can get their mpg.

IMHO there is no such thing as "safe drafting" of a semi truck on the highway. While some of the tips you find here are very useful & I use them every day (L advantage, coasting, FAS, fake shift etc), others are downright dangerous/stupid/illegal & should be avoided period.

~John

Old 06-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Cruise control for me always produces 3 MPG less, even over relatively flat areas. ( It is useless, in hills, mountains )

P.S. I don't draft. In Colorado, the ticket is one step below felony! ( Plus we have lots of rocks on the roads out here... now I know where they got the name for our baseball team! )
-John

Old 06-03-2007, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Cruise control for me always produces 3 MPG less, even over relatively flat areas.
Really?? I guess I may have to experiment a little more with mine.

I have a 500 mile trip to make coming up for business that is relatively flat at times. Maybe I will use the CC one way & not the other & see what results I get.

~John

http://www.pbase.com/jmorton10/inbox&page=all

Old 06-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

You can sorta fake shift with cruise control, tap the coast and you will see that it almost accomplishes the same...