View Poll Results: What Dates are Best for YOU to Meet In the Denver Area? Choose All that Apply.
Any Weekend this Fall
40.00%
Sept. 15 or 16
0%
Sept. 22 or 23
0%
Sept. 29 or 30
0%
Oct. 6 or 7
20.00%
Oct. 13 or 14
20.00%
Oct. 20 or 21
20.00%
Oct. 27 or 28
20.00%
I cannot attend weekends, but could on a weekday.
20.00%
I would like to meet at a resturant.
60.00%
I would like to meet at a park.
40.00%
I would enjoy a scenic drive as a group.
20.00%
I would enjoy a MPG challenge drive.
40.00%
I would most likely bring the whole family / spouse.
40.00%
I would most likely come alone.
60.00%
I would like to try using a ScanGauge in my car while there.
20.00%
I will need a hotel and would like a group price, if possible.
20.00%
This Fall is too soon. I need more time to plan.
20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Get together? Meet & Greet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 11:31 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Get together? Meet & Greet?

I'm starting to see more and more people on here in the Colorado and Rocky Mountain Region. Anyone want to have a Fall get together?

I started a thread elsewhere with the idea of a meeting place in Colorado Springs, Pikes Peak, or Garden of the Gods area. But it could be anywhere consensus feels is best. I'd be willing to drive ~200 miles for such a get together and make a day trip, Fall Colors, sight-seeing day out of it. It could be fun for the whole family, not just the driver of the Hybrid. And any/all hybrids would be welcomed! Not just Fords. Heck, even if by some rare unfortunate chance your hybrid is in the shop ( or being "borrowed" ) on the event day, show up by plane, train, or bus! ( or another car would do, I guess.... )

If we choose to have a "driving challege route" for MPG results, that would be cool, but not a requirement for attendees. I could "borrow" a couple ScanGauges from friends if you do not have one, and you could check them out first hand. I may be able to have a laptop with software to scan the car's computer bus ( called CAN bus ) so you can see what's going on inside the car's brain if you wish.

Ideas? Comments? Questions? Dates? Likelyhood you would attend?
It just sounds fun to me!
I know you want to get out this Fall and see the tress, now don't ya?!
Why not do it with a convoy of pals with Hybrids?
-John

see also:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...d-rally-14635/

Old 08-28-2007, 09:16 AM
08 MMH 4WD
Default Re: Get together? Meet & Greet?

Hi John, looked at your other thread & some of the comments are pretty interesting. Guess you can tell who has actually driven to the top of Pikes Peak before. I guess for those people they could take the Cog Railway & meet everyone at the top!

It’s not that scary & just don’t ride your breaks down. I would be curious though how the CVT transmission would work on the way down as you can’t really “gear down”.

A drive up Mt. Evans would also be fun looking at the marmots coming up their little holes in the pavement! (just hope you don't get ramed by a goat )

As I am still waiting on mine to arrive (guessing by mid next month), I would not be able to comment or commit to attending anything yet. Also on the weekends I don’t think my wife & kidlets would be too interested in this type of event.

I would be interested in a local after work or something for a meet & greet. It would be nice to meet yourself, Terry & some of the others, but with the way we are all sprayed over the front range here, who know how practical that would be either.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ICBMariner
It’s not that scary & just don’t ride your breaks down. I would be curious though how the CVT transmission would work on the way down as you can’t really “gear down”.
Theoretically at least thats what "L" is for. "gearing down--or at least having a similiar effect" At least thats what the manual implies from what I remember.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Theoretically at least thats what "L" is for. "gearing down--or at least having a similiar effect" At least thats what the manual implies from what I remember.

True, but I think that only works until the HV is fully charged. The similar effect is done by engaging the regen.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:42 AM
08 MMH 4WD

So I guess the next question is what does L do after the HV is fully charged and you are still doing down that 12 degree grade? (coming from someone that does not even have their MMH yet!)

Does the ICE then become engaged & spin up to provide engine braking?

Old 08-29-2007, 08:53 AM
N/A

Yup, you're exactly right.

Say you're coming down Golden Gate Canyon, for example. Speed limit 35. Under 40 in 'L' the ICE is off going down. After a time, about 2 miles depending on the grade, the controller decides the battery is getting too much charge or getting it too fast or whatever. ICE comes on and takes over braking duties by revving up to (I think) about 2200 RPM at 35-40 MPH.

Take it out of 'L' and begin braking with your foot and the ICE will go back off. It will stay off for almost the entire descent. Mine comes on once or twice for 60-90 seconds. I assume it does this to heat up the catalyst, as it seems to me it would stay on longer or rev more if it was spinning off excess charge. Not sure all the details, but that's what 've observed.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
True, but I think that only works until the HV is fully charged. The similar effect is done by engaging the regen.
Right but as mentioned elsewhere after that the engine will come on to provide engine braking. Someone has tested it for that and proved that it does spin up. So at least you are still safe because the brakes aren't the ONLY thing slowing the car down... which is dangerous becuase they can overheat.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:45 AM
08 MMH 4WD

Thanks TeeSter. Getting back to the suggestion of driving up & down Pikes Peak. Don't know if they still do that or not, but there used to be a check station part of the way down looking for people that "rode" their brakes down overheating them and suggesting that they wait there for a while so the brakes could cool enough to be safe going the rest of the way down & also educating them about engine braking.

I would hate to be stuck in a car in this situation that only had brakes as an option .

Guess I can start to tell it may take a bit to get used to the hybrid & CVT over standard or automatic transmissions.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I love how a discussion that started out as an idea for a picnic and scenic drive turned into a technical discussion about brakes.

The FEH/MMH has "electromagnetic brakes" the regen, that normal cars do not have at all.
The car has 4 wheel DISC brakes. Most cars have 2 wheel disc brakes.
As a last resort, the FEH/MMH will use engine compression braking.

So as I see it, this Hybrid has at least twice the stopping power of any other car on Pikes Peak, or any other peak. And when I was there 5 years ago, they still had a park ranger who would touch your rims at the half-way down point to see if they were "hot".

Now, how about that get together? Are you coming?
-John

Old 08-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Enthusiast

It would be a long drive from BC to meet up.

Quick Reply: Get together? Meet & Greet?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands