Fuel System Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 07:41 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Fuel System Leak

I apparently have a fuel leak at the fuel filler neck (best i can tell at this time).
Never have seen that in all the years. Saw wetness on the rear spring at
the back left side and tracked it up to the filler neck. No codes though.
Not driving it of course. Has anyone had this problem?
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...43390&jsn=2234
2009 FEH

Old 06-17-2020, 11:26 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fuel System Leak

over 100 clicks -and no reply; looks like it is something i did;
and probably so. was jacking up the back and probably got one side much higher than the other; thus in a bind.
i call it poor engineering though.
the plastic connects to metal and it should only have just the minimal metal connector to connect to plastic
and then to a fuel hose;
so all the metal hose should be a formed fuel line hose all the way down to the metal spout on the fuel tank.

Old 06-17-2020, 12:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

FWIW, my son had a '94 ranger, and its fuel filler tube failed. Stunk of fuel and tripped one of the evaporative emission codes.

Hard to imagine asymmetrical jacking might have done it unless you severely twisted the body in the process.

Old 06-17-2020, 02:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

How much higher was one side over the other? I don't think the engineers would have assumed much over 25 cm until the vehicle is restrained by it's suspension and sway bars and starts "tipping". A true off-road vehicle like a Jeep Wrangler would have higher limits than a "roadie" Ford Escape.

Old 06-20-2020, 05:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

thanxs to both of you for the reply;
so 25 is equal to 9.845 - No, best i can remember is that it was on a 2 by 6 and 4 by 4,
so that is 3 and one half plus 1 and 1 half which equals 5 inches and so one side would have been down
and the other side i would have jacked up maybe an inch of two, so up 7 inches max and then left down (this is in the back of course)
big hassle to fix (or try to), there are big rivets holding a shield on and one cannot get a drill bit centered on them so the washer part is drilled out
and then i took the blade off a hacksaw and hand sawed 2 or the 3 and twisted it at the top and where the best i could tell there was a crack (appeared to
be) and put jb weld on it (had it around the house so dd not have to go get anything - has to be the stick version since the regular jb weld would run too much)
cannot tell if all is Ok - put a little gas in (not low enough to put a lot in) and so far i do not see any leak. will have to scrub clean the area (was visible on the lower springs) and let it dry and go buy some gas and then i can tell if it leaks.