Front Tie Down Point Idea

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 04:37 PM
Feral Engineer
Default Front Tie Down Point Idea

I frequently carry a 17 foot canoe on my roof rack and need to tie a rope from the nose of the canoe to the front of the FEH. There is not much of substance below the grille (all plastic). To get around this, I took a short length of rope and attached a snap hook on each end and attached these temporarily to the two front tow hooks, underneath the chassis. I then attached my rope from the canoe to the middle of this rope. I thread the rope through a length of soft foam rubber insulation designed for 1/2" water pipe (available at Home Depot) at any spot where the rope would touch the paint. There is enough spring in the short rope to keep the rope from the canoe tensioned.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Front Tie Down Point Idea

Good idea!

Is that canoe heavy? How do you get it up there? Slide it up on the rear roof rack crossbar?

Old 09-21-2007, 05:20 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by Brady
Good idea!

Is that canoe heavy? How do you get it up there? Slide it up on the rear roof rack crossbar?
I load a canoe from the side and slide it across the bars.. My canoe is Kevlar, so I can load it myself. The front rope really helps keep it from shifting in cross winds.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:21 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

I load my kayak by sliding it up on the rear roof rack. I have a strip of carpet that fits between the rear roof rack supports. I slide it under the rear crossbar. I let it hang down the back so it covers the rear glass wiper. After the yak is loaded, I remove the carpet.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:47 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by DavidH
I load my kayak by sliding it up on the rear roof rack. I have a strip of carpet that fits between the rear roof rack supports. I slide it under the rear crossbar. I let it hang down the back so it covers the rear glass wiper. After the yak is loaded, I remove the carpet.
Slick idea.