First 40+ MPG Tank!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default First 40+ MPG Tank!

I just logged my 1st 40+ mpg tank: 40.6! OK, it's only for about 1/2 a tank, but I'm still excited! This is calculated based on gallons added. My ave econ on the dash was 40.0 after resetting when I filled up before.

Our last 3 tanks have been especially good. At that time we had the 20,000 mile service which included replacement of the HV battery A/C filter. I also switched to full synthetic oil (5W20). Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

-- Rick

Old 10-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: First 40+ MPG Tank!

Originally Posted by rmcmast
I also switched to full synthetic oil (5W20). Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not.

-- Rick
I'm about to switch to full synth at the 10k service. That'd be great if it improved my FE. I seem to have stabilized at 31 mpg no matter what I try to improve it.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

That's fantastic! Glad to see you're getting some great numbers!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:00 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

That's a great result. Over how many days was that tank?

Never underestimate the power of the wind.
My Hybrid ( and yours ) can be partially "wind-powered".

I just went through a whole tank in about 9 hours today.
I averaged 43 MPG at ~65 MPH with 500 pounds of cargo.

Turns out, I had a tailwind for most of that trip. ( all Eastbound )
Therefore, really, my FEH was partially "wind powered".
That wind, gave me the ability to go 600 miles on that tank, vs. 500.

You don't need a wind turbine in your backyard to utilize wind power!
( now if I had to drive a round-trip the same day, there would have been no advantage ) Also, wind more often hurts, than helps. It is not 50/50.
Only wind from the rear helps. Wind from the front, and both sides hurts, so you have a 3/4 chance of wind hurting your mileage, and a 1/4 chance of it helping. I was really lucky.

-John

Old 10-04-2007, 05:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
That's a great result. Over how many days was that tank?

John,

This was over 4 days. A little weekend driving and 2 trips to work and back (approx 50 miles round trip for work).

Wind can be a pretty big factor here, especially in the spring and fall. It's usually a wash for me if it's out of the south or north (good one way, bad on the other). Sometimes we'll get a front pass trough during the day and I fight headwinds on the way in and on the way home!

I do wonder if the switch to synthetic oil has made a difference with my recent mpg increase. I haven't really changed how I drive. It is a little cooler now though.

-- Rick

Last edited by rmcmast; 10-04-2007 at 05:14 AM.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:48 AM
FEH Tsaritsa

Congratulations Rick! After the 1st 40+mpg tank, they start to come a little easier

Originally Posted by gpsman1
My Hybrid ( and yours ) can be partially "wind-powered".

I just went through a whole tank in about 9 hours today.
I averaged 43 MPG at ~65 miles per hour with 500 pounds of cargo.

Turns out, I had a tailwind for most of that trip. ( all Eastbound )
Therefore, really, my FEH was partially "wind powered".
That wind, gave me the ability to go 600 miles on that tank, vs. 500.

-John
Last March, when I went to Madison to testify before the legislative committee that was looking at a possible state income-tax credit for purchasing a hybrid vehicle, I had 20-30mph head-winds all the way there - my mileage for the trip was 29.5 But on the way home, those same winds were at my back most of the way & my mileage for that trip was 48.5

Sometimes there *is* an advantage in driving a "box"

Old 10-04-2007, 07:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DebbieKatz
Congratulations Rick! After the 1st 40+mpg tank, they start to come a little easier

Last March, when I went to Madison to testify before the legislative committee that was looking at a possible state income-tax credit for purchasing a hybrid vehicle, I had 20-30mph head-winds all the way there - my mileage for the trip was 29.5 But on the way home, those same winds were at my back most of the way & my mileage for that trip was 48.5

Sometimes there *is* an advantage in driving a "box"
Hmmmm.... what we need is a sail..... a "spinnaker" so to speak

Old 10-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Talking Re: First 40+ MPG Tank!

Originally Posted by rmcmast
John,

This was over 4 days. A little weekend driving and 2 trips to work and back (approx 50 miles round trip for work).

Wind can be a pretty big factor here, especially in the spring and fall. It's usually a wash for me if it's out of the south or north (good one way, bad on the other). Sometimes we'll get a front pass trough during the day and I fight headwinds on the way in and on the way home!

I do wonder if the switch to synthetic oil has made a difference with my recent mpg increase. I haven't really changed how I drive. It is a little cooler now though.

-- Rick
Rick, have you gotten the non-recall recall work done?

Huge difference in FE for me. Struggled since new to average 30mpg. Since the recall I have a 31.4mpg tank, 29mpg tank (70mph cruise control interstate, headwind all the way), and if I don't blow it....I'm gonna average 32.1mpg on this tank. (60 more miles to go!!)

v/r
nate

Old 10-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hybrid_SUV
Rick, have you gotten the non-recall recall work done?
v/r
nate
No, I never received the notice in the mail. Mine may be one of the 2007's that does not need it. I did wonder if they might have done it with my 20,000 mile service anyway, but there's nothing on the service sheet about it.

-- Rick