Finally - An actual Long Distance Mileage Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 04:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Finally - An actual Long Distance Mileage Test

Well, at least "medium distance" - 365 miles roundtrip over interstates and turnpikes. Nice day, temps. from 70-82 degrees. A/C on about 1/2 the distance in "auto, non-recirc" mode. Lots of time was spent in cruise at 70-72 MPH. There were a couple of "parking lot" sections with traffic in NYS and on the way back, in which I got to make maximum use of the EV mode.

Overall MPG: 32.0. I averaged about 61 miles per hour while driving. There were lots of hills on this trip, not mountainous but not tiny either.

This is the longest and farthest I've driven the car in a single stretch, and much of it was with the A/C on. So I am right in line or a little better than the EPA estimated mileage, and it ain't the flatlands.

The MPG would have been almost 1 full higher except for the last 30 miles. Coming out of a really heavy traffic section, myself and a guy in a black Mercedes 4MATIC SUV got tired of the jokers and duked it out (not really competing, just two guys who know how to drive) at around 90-95 for about 25 miles on almost empty highway. That shaved almost a full MPG off the average for the whole trip.

UPDATE comment: One thing that struck me on this trip was just how sensitive the engine RPM and hybrid system are to very, very small changes in throttle position when it's not in cruise. You can make a big difference in engine RPM with just tiny changes in the pressure you're applying to the gas pedal, with almost no discernable change in dv/dt, and the electronics just kind of "shift" into a slightly different regime. So it might actually be better for someone who knows how to drive the car to not use the cruise control and just finesse the "gas pedal." It has the most sensitive "pedal" I've ever driven on any car, ever. Of course, it's 100% electronic.

Last edited by AlexK; 05-15-2021 at 10:10 AM.