FEH or TCH?....that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 11:29 AM
Enthusiast
Default FEH or TCH?....that is the question

Trying to decide on whether to purchase a Ford Escape Hybrid or the Toyota Camry Hybrid. There are both good and bad points to both of them. I like the features and full economy of the Camry, but I also would enjoy the 4WD and functionality of the Escape. Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 06-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH or TCH?....that is the question

I think it is all about you on this one. Do you want the size and versatility of the FEH or do you want the fuel economy of the camry?

Old 06-29-2006, 12:16 PM

Take the hybrid aspect out of the picture for a second. Do you need/want a small-size SUV or a sedan. Figure that out, then figure out which hybrid fits your criteria. It's like asking if you should get a one story house or a two story house, without any background on your needs/wants. It's your call. They're completely different vehicles, which both happen to be hybrids. You'll be happy with the one that most meets your needs and wants.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:29 PM

FEH or TCH? I've got both!

The FEH is a surprisingly comfortable SUV and gets about 30mpg (AWD FEH). My only gripes are the A/C is belt driven from the ICE and stops working when the ICE stops at lights (yes, I know max A/C keeps the ICE on and the A/C too), and the "bulge" of the on either rear wheel well that prevents a 4 foot wide table from laying flat. Otherwise I am quite happy with it.

The TCH is a little quieter, has dual climate controls on the A/C, gets 10mpg better, and has a better crash rating than the FEH. I like driving the TCH better, my wife likes driving the FEH better. The trunk is bigger than I thought it would be, but be aware part of it is taken up by the battery. Doesn't matter to me, but it might for you.

FYI, I had a F-150 truck for 20 years, and only 3 times needed 4WD. We got the AWD FEH because that's all the local dealers had at the time.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:12 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Sounds like Ron is a good source of info, owning one of each.

With practice and patience, you can get 40+ MPG in a Ford Escape Hybrid if you don't need A/C very much.

Funny Ron... I drove from Denver to Orange County CA to get a 2WD since all the Colorado dealers only had 4WD! There were countless 2WD in San Diego and O.C. in 3/2005.

-John

Old 06-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Get the TCH.

If your initial reaction was no, then get the FEH. If your initial reaction was okay, then get the TCH. Decision made.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for all of your insights, did some window shopping and because of a perk that my Union Local has and with the current cashback offers from Ford, I am able to get a loaded FEH 4k less than the MSRP. Toyota is still playing the shell game with me in regard to as when the TCH will arrive. My job depends on me getting to work in all weather and I am just not sure as to how the TCH will perform in 10+ inches of the white stuff. I know big storms aren't an ever day occurence, but it only takes one to create an insurance deductible nightmare.