FEH NAVIGATION SYS

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 02:19 PM
Default FEH NAVIGATION SYS

Has anyone had problems with the playability of their Nav. CD's? I just got a new set of CD's in the mail from Ford because they said the old ones caused an error message (looking for CD) on the screen. I have not had this problem myself.

Old 06-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH NAVIGATION SYS

Don't install them!

I installed them and now my nav system has me going cross country whenever I turn a corner. It looks like the system is updating its position much less frequently. At work, I pressed the home button and it kept having to recalculate the route whenever I turned a corner. The system is unusable.

I went back to the old disks and the problem remains. I've called navteq to find out if the disks updated the firmware.

I realize this could be a coincidence and that my gps went belly up just before I put the new cd's in but I've worked in software long enough to know that coincidences are rare.

jim barstow

Last edited by jimbarstow; 06-23-2005 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Enthusiast

That's good to know. I got mine the other day, too and have yet to install them. I've never had the problem they describe either.

Old 06-24-2005, 08:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Got the CDs in the mail last night. Because I saw your post first, I did some checking before I used the new CDs

Findings:

The Firmware did not change, before I used the new CD and after I used the new CD the firmware versions where the same:

NAV:5.1.3.0
AUD:2.14.22.25
voj:4.1.2.0
CDDJ:0.1.7.0
DVD:unknown
CDROM F-TENDA-341.15.0

The Nav database was also the same:

Area:GREAT LAKES (this depends on what CD is loaded)
Version:47203052.01
Voice:CI29.0302
Text DA13.0205
TMC:N/A

The CD label was blue and is now green, was labeled:

Version 2004
5L1T-18C912-EA (The E in the last group shows what CD...CD1=AA, CD10=KA)

The New CD is labeled:

Version 2V
5L1T-18C912-EA

After looking at this I was wondering what changed, so I looked closely at the CDs and saw that the old CD had some defects in the pressing along the outer edge. This shows up as thin wavy lines around the edge while viewing the shinny side of the CD. The new ones did not have this defect.

I did not have a problem with the old CDs, I'm guessing that I never had to access data stored on the edge of the CD. I did some playing around with the new CD and the routing seem to be the same as well as the position update frequncy.

Last edited by mppkll; 06-24-2005 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:29 AM

Thanks Mike for checking that out for us. Since the data didn't change, I'll use the old disc until I have problems. Having a spare set is a good thing so I keep them sealed till I need them.

This system is not perfect but it helped me save alot of gas looking for places. I went to Orlando and stayed a few days. I push the home button at the Hotel and the system got me back many times when I had no idea which way to go. Also finding Malls, Restaurants, Theme Parks etc. made for the best trip to Orlando ever for me.

I was hoping the new disc updated some short cuts and new on ramps etc. but I guess that will come later.

Old 06-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

NAVTEQ will sell you updated data. Since I do GIS work locally I turned them on to our local data set so they can update thier listings (they are pertty far behind the times locally). They told me they are updating our area and that I could buy new disks at any time.

I figure I will wait a year or two before I spend the money, just to make sure they are actually current.

Chris Brown