FEH/MMH grade climbing experience/suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 11:49 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default FEH/MMH grade climbing experience/suggestion

Hi all FEH/MMH owners, need info and advice:

I read an article a week ago (I cant remember where I found it - but if I can find it again, I'll post the link) about a 2006 MMH review by a guy somewhere in mountainous/hilly region at high (2000ft + ?) elevation. He was somewhat disappointed because of the power of this SUV to climb. He wondered whether the one he's driving was "malfunctioning" in some way. He redline his RPM and couldnt get past 45Mph! His passengers were asking if there were anything wrong with the car.

I live in Southern California and go back and forth to SF all the time. I'm expecting to go slow (~55-60mph) over the Grapevine (north of Los Angeles) where there's a 5 mile grade at around 6-7% with any 4-cylinder car. But after reading that article, I wonder if the Hybrid's eCVT and extra added weight of FEH/MMH can take that kind of grade for that distant (5-6mi) without real stress?

Has any FEH/MMH owners had experience with this type of push with their cars? I'm wondering whether the "battery' assist can last that long? (would be more than 5-10 min constant power climb). Once the battery is depleted, wouldnt the climb be purely ICE (and worst, the ICE is using some power to charge).

This kinda concerns me...I might be making this trip in about a month. I wonder if I should rev high to go over this stretch in my new MMH (prob ~1200 on the odometer by then) with reasonable speed, or should I crawl and let all the Semi/buses/and trailers past me up! I'm not worry about gas mileage, but I am worry about stressing the new engine.

After I make this trip, I'll post some experience/perf/issues. This was something I forgot to take into account when chosing a 4-cyl Hybrid.

Oh, we would be 2 adults and a 2 toddlers and light luggage load.

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:39 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: FEH/MMH grade climbing experience/suggestion

You are worried about nothing. The person you heard about had an unusual case.

Both the Ford Escape Hybrid and the MMH have a CVT. There's no gear shifting! There's only one gear ( with an infinate number of ratios ).

It is normal for the engine to rev over 5000 RPM on hills at highway speeds.
I can take 12% grades at 25 MPH with battery pack alone ( for about 30 seconds )

The battery pack can provide up to 2 miles of power over flat roads, and at speeds under 40 MPH. At higher speeds and on hills, the battery boost time is probably about 30 seconds. But don't worry. I've always been able to pass semis, even on 7% grades and 10,000 feet in the Colorado rockies... however, since this eats a ton of gas, I tend to stay behind the semis on up grades on purpose.

If you intentionally follow the speeds of semis, you will get about 24 MPG up the Grapevine, and about 64 MPG on the downslope, which will = a great average.
-john

Old 08-20-2006, 08:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

OCC,
We made the trip from NorCal over the grapevine back in June in our FEH. Though the RPMs are higher than a typical car it handled the grapevine with no problem. I think I did about 70-75 mph with absolutely no problem.

Know worries.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:36 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks guys. That article had me worried, and I didnt want to stress out a new engine if it were going to rev like the way he described.

I'll keep a note on my trip, and report it here to help anyone else who might want to know (esp. if they read the same article I did). I'm expecting to keep 60mph the entire climb (AC off).

Thanks again.