FEH Battery Differences Between Years/Other questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 09:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default FEH Battery Differences Between Years/Other questions

Hey guys, been doing Toyota and Honda stuff (as well as any battery with prismatic Panasonic modules) for 3 years. I am currently running a pretty successful company (I will remain nameless at this point) here in CA doing a ton of batteries.

I have recently began dabbling in Ford escapes. I realize competitors have different models listed on their website as 05-09 as one option and 10-13 as another. I am assuming there’s an interior component difference of some sort as there are on others. I have cross referenced this information with several salvage yards to ensure there are differences internally between 05-09 10-13, but they have been unreliable in the past. I have also heard that some batteries come with a component where you can essentially jump start these things if they’ve been sitting, while some cannot. Wondering if that’s the difference between the the years. Ive been told as well that if you mix and match these batteries that the wrench will appear after driving but the car will still run.

The battery that I have recently assembled I am 100% certain is assembled correctly, as I have double and triple checked everything and have had the help of a very intelligent engineer along the way to ensure I have not made any mistakes.

My first customer is scheduled for this weekend. I am simply trying to cross all my T’s and dot all my I’s and ensure beyond a reasonable doubt that if I drop this thing in it’s going to work.

The battery I am going to drop in is a case/shell from a 2007. All modules matched and balanced as well as load tested.

These batteries are leaps and bounds more complex than the Toyotas and Hondas. Any information I can get would be wonderful.

Thank you

Cole

Old 10-11-2021, 10:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH Battery Differences Between Years/Other questions

@S Keith PS this is your queue old buddy old pal 😂😂🤣🤣

Old 10-12-2021, 04:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'll let Keith answer in more detail.
The primary difference is there is a jump-start charger in the 2005-2008 batteries. In the event battery charge has fallen below the point of being able to spin the ICE, one can press a button on the left side of the dash and the system will use the 12V battery to charge the HV battery. 2009-2012 omit this, leaving a cavity in the battery case.
This is a big advantage for reviving vehicles that have sat idle too long. The HV battery in my 2008 FEH is deteriorated to the point that if I do not drive it every other day at least it will not start on the 3rd day. The jump-start button gets it going, usually taking two or more cycles supplemented by a 10A battery charger

Old 10-12-2021, 04:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

A/C vents likely gone/blocked in 10+ batteries. The BCM fw is probably different.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Refuse to install a battery unless the A/C is operating to specification. Educate the customer that failed A/C that is not repaired promptly voids their battery warranty.

To the best of my knowledge, YMMV:
All years can take all years batteries/computers.
All years use the same Sanyo (Panasonic) cells in 5 cells sticks.
05-08 have jump starter located in the cavity on the driver's side. 05-08 computer is different than 09+, 05-08 computer may be required for jump starter to operate.
09+ have nothing in that cavity.

Old 10-12-2021, 10:12 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Refuse to install a battery unless the A/C is operating to specification. Educate the customer that failed A/C that is not repaired promptly voids their battery warranty.

To the best of my knowledge, YMMV:
All years can take all years batteries/computers.
All years use the same Sanyo (Panasonic) cells in 5 cells sticks.
05-08 have jump starter located in the cavity on the driver's side. 05-08 computer is different than 09+, 05-08 computer may be required for jump starter to operate.
09+ have nothing in that cavity.

Thank you gents for your information. I will buy a few different cores to ensure I can correspond with the years of each customer’s car, at least until I can discover the true differences between years of the FEH. I will keep you guys updated and let you know how my first install goes.

Just need to find a decent scan tools/program for these things.

Old 10-12-2021, 10:15 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShadyEscape
A/C vents likely gone/blocked in 10+ batteries. The BCM fw is probably different.
Does the cabin AC cool the battery? I am assuming so.

also @S Keith , what is a good resting voltage per stick before going back in the pack? 6.6 V? Higher?

Old 10-13-2021, 06:47 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

On 09 and below dedicated A/C cools the battery. 10+ it relies on cabin temperature.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Scan tools? Presumably OBD2 scanners. FORscan is the software.
OBD2 adapters recommended on the FORscan site. I use the USB version with a desktop PC in the garage.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:16 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rex B
Scan tools? Presumably OBD2 scanners. FORscan is the software.
OBD2 adapters recommended on the FORscan site. I use the USB version with a desktop PC in the garage.
can you link me to it?

Quick Reply: FEH Battery Differences Between Years/Other questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands