FEH/4WD/Scanguage-II

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:53 AM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: FEH/4WD/Scanguage-II

Originally Posted by 08MMHybridHappy
Wow! You may have just provided a very important tip to 4WD FEH/MMH owners, such as myself. I could disconnect the 4WD for the summer (no snow/ice etc) by taking out a fuse, and pick up 2-4 MPG. That would be great! Thank You. BUT - before I do that, does anyone here know of some reason why I should not take out that fuse when 4WD not needed? Thanks in advance for any advice on this.
You might not get 2-4 MPG because your still carrying the extra weight but you should see some increase.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wow! You may have just provided a very important tip to 4WD FEH/MMH owners, such as myself. I could disconnect the 4WD for the summer (no snow/ice etc) by taking out a fuse, and pick up 2-4 MPG. That would be great! Thank You. BUT - before I do that, does anyone here know of some reason why I should not take out that fuse when 4WD not needed? Thanks in advance for any advice on this.
A few things to note IF that works. 4WD being actually probably more like AWD will help one maintain the road in wet conditions as well (you could always put the fuse back in). You are likely to get a failure code and warning in your message center saying the 4WD system is on the fritz (probalby could ignore it I suppose). Not sure how much you'll see but probably not the whole 2-4MPG. Weight, Height will still be unchanged AND I'd think you'd still see some of the drag from the electronic "clutch" (I guess thats what its called) that controls torque to the back wheels.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I doubt you'll see much MPG improvement. It's not so much the weight of the system but more the torque required from the rear wheels to spin the differential with its mechanical losses. More than likely you'll see a P1825 DTC thrown from the 4WD module. The ABS system also needs to have control of the solenoid and in a panic stop you might not be very happy.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Imported from Detroit

Okay, on my non-Hybrid it's F-11 which I pulled and started the vehicle. The "wrench" icon came ON, shut it OFF and plugged the fuse back in. Thinking that I have to clear the DTC, I connected my scanner but no DTC pulled and no wrench on the dash with the key in the ON position. Started it back up, no wrench either!

Not sure if ABS cares if you have 4WD or not.

Last edited by wptski; 06-14-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Imported from Detroit

I'm so curious about this issue that I ordered a SG-II. Depending on USPS, I may have it tomorrow. I quized the dealer wether it had v3.15* or v3.15. They pulled one, plugged it in and it's v3.16!

I mentioned the possible problem with the '09 FE so they called Linear Logic whom repeated what they told me, no problem. To add to that the owner said that he'd pay my return shipping cost if it doesn't!

I guess that there's a chance that the 4WD commands which work on the FEH may not on the FE too. I normally don't gamble.

Is there anybody using a SG-II on a '09 FEH at least?

Old 05-16-2009, 03:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

[quote=wptski;203211]
Is there anybody using a SG-II on a '09 FEH at least?

GaryG has at least one in his vehicle.

Old 05-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Imported from Detroit

Got the SG-II today with v3.16. With very little reading, quickly I programmed the commands used for the 4WD on the FEH. To my surprise it worked! Although I didn't have a scope in the vehicle only a DMM to show duty cycle, not sure how the DMM compared to the scope. Even then I still know that the SG-II is showing way higher than what I've seen. Just touching the throttle gets over 50% from a stop. Roughly showing twice as much. Would changing the response time help??

Old 05-16-2009, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
Got the SG-II today with v3.16. With very little reading, quickly I programmed the commands used for the 4WD on the FEH. To my surprise it worked! Although I didn't have a scope in the vehicle only a DMM to show duty cycle, not sure how the DMM compared to the scope. Even then I still know that the SG-II is showing way higher than what I've seen. Just touching the throttle gets over 50% from a stop. Roughly showing twice as much. Would changing the response time help??
Response time won't make a difference. I suppose it is possible that the full scale reading is 50%, but it seems unlikely. But, you can change the MTH to 006400330000 and see if that gives you values that match the scope readings.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by DesertDog
Response time won't make a difference. I suppose it is possible that the full scale reading is 50%, but it seems unlikely. But, you can change the MTH to 006400330000 and see if that gives you values that match the scope readings.
Thanks, I'll try that! The scope did a little funky thing right at the start too, so maybe I'm missing the event. I'm going to change the setup a bit also.

By the way, I ran across your thread from 8/07 in CleanMPG. You mention getting the hex value for PIDs from the PowerTrain/Emissions manual. I have the exact same book for the '09 FE but I don't see any hex values list. Did I misunderstand your post???

You sure go back a long way with the SG!!

Old 05-16-2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
Thanks, I'll try that! The scope did a little funky thing right at the start too, so maybe I'm missing the event. I'm going to change the setup a bit also.

By the way, I ran across your thread from 8/07 in CleanMPG. You mention getting the hex value for PIDs from the PowerTrain/Emissions manual. I have the exact same book for the '09 FE but I don't see any hex values list. Did I misunderstand your post???

You sure go back a long way with the SG!!
In the 2005 PC/ED manual they list the PIDs and the hex value. Apparently they stopped doing this in later manuals and just listed the PID description.

The more I think about it, 50% max value makes some sense. Higher than 50% DC might be bad for the solenoid. You're probably right that the scaling is off.

I have only had a scangauge for about 2 years. But like any new toy I had to try out all the features. When I first contacted LL about retrieving PIDs using the CMNDS feature, they said I was the first person who had asked about doing this. Before I got the PC/ED manual I stepped through almost 10,000 mode 22 PIDs, writing down what if any response there was from my FEH. Even now there are some mode 22 PIDs that I have never figured out what they mean like $0100,$0202,$1100,$1108,etc.

Quick Reply: FEH/4WD/Scanguage-II

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands