Features of the scanguage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 08:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Features of the scanguage?

Originally Posted by Tim K

How is your project coming along? I'm quite curious. I'd love to replace the factory unit with something aftermarket but still be able to have a SOC and FE readout somehow. I'd love to put a touchscreen monitor in the dash and run a car PC with OBD software, MP3 files, GPS, etc.
Hey Tim,

It's coming along. A little slower than I'd hoped, I've been quite busy at work, so I haven't had as much time to build the hardware as I'd like. As shown earlier, the interface to the car is done, and I've just recently gotten the microcontroller talking to the interface and a small lcd (only 2x16, it's what was available in the 'to scrap' pile at work, I'll be buying a larger display after some of the prototyping is done) to display some info from the car.

I'm in the process of adding things like buttons, various leds, and some extra on-board flash to the design, but it's taking time to build. I'm hoping to get some time to hook up the remaining components this week and then it should all just be software.

As for the SoC, getting the information has been put on hold temporarily, as I do some of the other work on the project (I've received quite a bit of information, but something is missing, and I've got some leads, I just need to follow them), but it will resume shortly.

Originally Posted by Tim K

Is your little "contraption" pulling codes from the OBD-II connection? Have you looked into the wiring harness on the back of the Nav unit that carries info to that unit? I'm wondering if the on board setup splits out the relevant info and sends it to the nav through this connection?
Currently it's pulling codes from the OBD-II connector under the dash, and I haven't looked into the wiring harness on the Nav unit, as I don't have the Nav unit and the harness is quite different.

Anyway, I'll be sure to take some pictures soon and post what I can.

jeff.