electronic stability control

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 04:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: electronic stability control

Originally Posted by TeeSter
And it could be significantly different because of a large amount of mass lower in the body.... ie the battery.
Excellent point! That would surely change the weight distribution from the regular, gas, Escape/Mariner, and thus the center of gravity. Basic physics.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by highlanderhybrid
no, I highly doubt that
Rollovers are significantly dependent on the center of gravity of the vehicle and the vehcile stance (how wide the wheelbase is). Its basic physics. The suspension plays a role and ESC can help the vehicle avoid situations where physics takes over but the tendency to roll is basic physics.

The battery will lower that center of gravity. Whether its enough to make the vehicle not want to tip-up is another matter... but it definitely makes a difference.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by highlanderhybrid
no, I highly doubt that
Oh, well if YOU say it isn't true then it must not be. Who needs facts or physics to prove a point!

(this is fun! )

Old 03-08-2007, 09:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

And going around the curves I never once activated stability control which would be indicated by a beep.
It's a good thing you spent that extra 7k to get stability control that you don't need. Like I said before, if you don't drive like an idiot, you don't have to worry about it.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think we are supposed to feel bad that we didn't pay 7k to get trac control and a trolling motor...

Ummm, Gary, you feeling it, cuz I am not.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by mikesus
I think we are supposed to feel bad that we didn't pay 7k to get trac control and a trolling motor...

I don't know about Gary.... but I'm feeling very envious.... Let's all thrust one arm overhead and scream "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!" together so we'll all feel better and I can sleep again after tossing and turning about my terrible vehicle.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by mikesus

Mikesus, my FEH performs in hard turns better than I ever expected. I paid for the side curtain air bags when I orderred my '05 FEH, and I feel safer with them. Yes, 7k is worth a life for me, and if I could afford it, I'd spend it Mike. After all, are we talking about you, me or our wifes and kids life?

I just helped my daughter pick a car she could barely afford, and the FEH could not offer the protection that was standard on the Civic Honda near the price. We went with the protection and the price she could afford. She is the owner of a nice '07 Civic EX which she loves.

I'm looking at the HiHy because I need a vehicle that will tow my boat to the Florida Keys twice a year with no problems, and I know I will beat EPA estimates with no problems also. The fact that the new '08 HIHY can tow 5,000 pounds and has ESC and all the standard safety equipment and more makes it even a better deal. I've been a Ford man all my life, and I know my FEH can keep up with the best of Honda and Toyota as far as FE, but it can't tow my boat.

My suggestion would be to stop this debate of two fine vehicles, and look at the benifits of both.

GaryG

Old 03-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Gary,

that is a logical fallacy... You are saying that buying the traction control is justified because 7k is worth a life. So if you have trac control you won't lose a life and without it you will. Sorry things aren't that black and white.

When in fact, there are studies showing almost the opposite. The more safety features a vehicle has, the less safe we tend to drive.

http://www.physorg.com/news78593257.html

The models showed that the safety systems did not affect the probability of having an accident or injury.

<snip>

Claims of safety benefits for airbags and antilock brakes assume that motorists drive the same way regardless of whether their cars are equipped with the safety features.

"However, if you drive a car without these safety features and then you get behind the wheel of a newer car, you see the difference immediately," said Mannering, who owns a vintage MG sports car and a newer vehicle equipped with many of the latest safety technologies. "The contrast is dramatic. When I'm driving the MG, I definitely make a special effort not to tailgate or accelerate quickly when roads are slick because I don't have the antilock brakes, traction control and the other advanced safety features of the newer car."
Now, if you are talking about towing, that is a completely different and valid reason...

Old 03-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Im talking about space and towing and safety

Old 03-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

It really isn't worth the price difference just to tow your boat twice year. Couldn't you just rent a larger SUV or truck for those two times a year for less money?

Quick Reply: electronic stability control

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands