Electric compressor sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 05:11 AM
PML
Enthusiast
Default Electric compressor sound

When I open the door of my 06 Mariner Hybrid, I can hear a compressor start - some what like the sound on a Lincoln Town car - (auto leveling) - anyone know what that sound is ? and what it accomplishes - its not when I turn the key - its when I open the drivers door.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Electric compressor sound

Its been covered here a few times. Its an electric pump pressurizing the brakes. Perfectly normal. With the engine being able to go off you have to pressurize the brake system in an alternate fashion.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:44 AM
PML
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot - i never knew that - but it makes sense - I appreciate your telling me-

Old 08-09-2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by PML
Thanks a lot - i never knew that - but it makes sense - I appreciate your telling me-
I never realized that either.

My other car, has the brakes "powered" by the power steering pump (called "hydroboost"). I just assume that the FEH/MMH used their electric power steering pump do it. I guess not.

Last edited by WaltPA; 08-09-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
I never realized that either.

My other car, has the brakes "powered" by the power steering pump (called "hydroboost"). I just assume that the FEH/MMH used their electric power steering pump do it. I guess not.
They may... I'm not sure. However while you can deal with a second or two of delay on the power steering if you are pulling out.... not having brakes might make you have a bad day. So it pressurizes for anything it thinks MIGHT be someone getting ready to go. Doors opening, unlocking... etc.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Cool, thanks. I've been wondering the same question, but just chalked it up to hybrid uniqueness.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
However while you can deal with a second or two of delay on the power steering if you are pulling out.... not having brakes might make you have a bad day. So it pressurizes for anything it thinks MIGHT be someone getting ready to go. Doors opening, unlocking... etc.
I think from a law dating to the 1960's, the brakes still need to work even if their "assist" isn't working.

I am guessing from this discussion, that the Hybrids don't use hydroboost for their "assist", but instead use an old fashion vacuum for their "assist". To do this, the Hybrids actually have a vacuum pump (the "compressor" mentioned here) to create the vacuum when the ICE isn't running????? Is that right????

Old 08-10-2006, 04:46 AM

Overstated perhaps as a complete failure, but still without the assist when you are expecting it... wouldn't be a good day.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:48 AM

From what I've heard I though it was a standard system... just using an electric motor instead of the engine for power. I know it still has brake fluid (but I don't know much else about it myself)

Old 08-10-2006, 05:55 AM

Read your owner's manuals, folks!

Quick Reply: Electric compressor sound

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands