Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Electric compressor sound (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/electric-compressor-sound-9132/)

PML 08-09-2006 05:11 AM

Electric compressor sound

When I open the door of my 06 Mariner Hybrid, I can hear a compressor start - some what like the sound on a Lincoln Town car - (auto leveling) - anyone know what that sound is ? and what it accomplishes - its not when I turn the key - its when I open the drivers door.

TeeSter 08-09-2006 06:18 AM

Re: Electric compressor sound

Its been covered here a few times. Its an electric pump pressurizing the brakes. Perfectly normal. With the engine being able to go off you have to pressurize the brake system in an alternate fashion.

PML 08-09-2006 06:44 AM

Thanks a lot - i never knew that - but it makes sense - I appreciate your telling me-

WaltPA 08-09-2006 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by PML
Thanks a lot - i never knew that - but it makes sense - I appreciate your telling me-

I never realized that either. :angel:

My other car, has the brakes "powered" by the power steering pump (called "hydroboost"). I just assume that the FEH/MMH used their electric power steering pump do it. I guess not.

TeeSter 08-09-2006 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by WaltPA
I never realized that either. :angel:

My other car, has the brakes "powered" by the power steering pump (called "hydroboost"). I just assume that the FEH/MMH used their electric power steering pump do it. I guess not.

They may... I'm not sure. However while you can deal with a second or two of delay on the power steering if you are pulling out.... not having brakes might make you have a bad day. So it pressurizes for anything it thinks MIGHT be someone getting ready to go. Doors opening, unlocking... etc.

ranaes 08-09-2006 05:27 PM

Cool, thanks. I've been wondering the same question, but just chalked it up to hybrid uniqueness.

WaltPA 08-10-2006 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
However while you can deal with a second or two of delay on the power steering if you are pulling out.... not having brakes might make you have a bad day. So it pressurizes for anything it thinks MIGHT be someone getting ready to go. Doors opening, unlocking... etc.

I think from a law dating to the 1960's, the brakes still need to work even if their "assist" isn't working.

I am guessing from this discussion, that the Hybrids don't use hydroboost for their "assist", but instead use an old fashion vacuum for their "assist". To do this, the Hybrids actually have a vacuum pump (the "compressor" mentioned here) to create the vacuum when the ICE isn't running????? Is that right????

TeeSter 08-10-2006 04:46 AM

Overstated perhaps as a complete failure, but still without the assist when you are expecting it... wouldn't be a good day. :)

TeeSter 08-10-2006 04:48 AM

From what I've heard I though it was a standard system... just using an electric motor instead of the engine for power. I know it still has brake fluid (but I don't know much else about it myself) :)

GeekGal 08-10-2006 05:55 AM

Read your owner's manuals, folks! :)