DIY-Does anyone change Rear Brakes-2009 Ford Escape Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 07:01 AM
Enthusiast
Default DIY-Does anyone change Rear Brakes-2009 Ford Escape Hybrid

Hello! Did anyone change Rear Brakes on FEH-2009? I need help on this topic, any suggestions/help is appreciated.
This weekend, I worked on changing my brakes on my FEH-2009. I was successful on the front brake pads. But not on the Rear Brakes which a Brkae Drum. I cannot remove the Brake Drum from the brake & rotor. I did what is in the repair manual. I put the car on Neutral Position, pull out fuses 24 & 31 from the Junction box, and disconnect the battery.
The brake drum just won't come off. I am not sure if there is pressure inside it, despite what I did above, maybe I am doing something wron or sopmething is missing!
Thank you so much for your inputs. I know it costs a lot to put it on a dealer, so I would rather DIY as much as possible.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: DIY-Does anyone change Rear Brakes-2009 Ford Escape Hybrid

Are you able to turn the rear wheel(s) when off the ground? This should be a good indicator of whether the brake shoe is engaged against the drum.

If the tire doesn't spin freely, you won't easily be able to remove the drum. You'll need to figure out if the park brake is engaged or if there is some other problem preventing the rear brakes from disengaging.

With that said, I expect that the drum is just rusted to the hub. In that case, penetrating oil and a hammer may be useful in breaking the drum free of the rust/hub.

Here is a videos that might be helpful as well:

Sorry I cannot give you more specific advice since my 08 FEH has rear disc brakes instead of drum brakes.

Last edited by MyPart; 06-04-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:24 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you so much for your reply MYPart. I will try it again this weekend and I will keep you updated. I think it does turn!

Old 06-11-2013, 05:48 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you to all your suggestions. Finally, I was able to take it off after a couple of showers with WD-40, Freeze-Off & banging with big ball hammer. Also, for insurance I pulled out from BJB fuse #9 & 15 both 50A. I took pictures before I pulled-out everything. Took out Upper Spring, Middle Spring w/ Pins (l&R), Lower Spring, & Adjuster assembly. I am surpise that the parking brake is attached to the brake shoe. Just make sure you have the proper tools before doing this job, such as Brake Spring Plier & Special Plier for the spring with Pins, but a Vise Grip will do. Again, thank you to all the contibutors. If you have any questions or If I can be of help, PM me.