Occasinal no start 08 gen1

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Occasinal no start 08 gen1

So yesterday, wife drive car home from work, parks it at 1230p. My cell phone dies, I plut it into car charger at 3p. At 5p we go to leave and no start; gagues all move; radio turns on, but full key nothing. Look at scanguage SOC 0.4 ?!!? Oh Crap I start thinkning.
Unplug cellphone & turn key off, back on and it starts right up, SOC is 44 something.

Several more re-starts that night; no issue. Go to start this morning, same thing, full key turn, no start, no phone charging this time; again full key off/on and it starts right up.

Few more starts; no problems. Then last attempt a few mins ago, same think, first key turn, no start; no phone pluged in & charger now removed from socket (I just mention the phone because it was odd the first time I unplugged it then the car started)

Side note; I did run the AC for about an hour or so the other day w/o the car running (hidding in the tornado shelter, lost AC, needed to watch storm pass by) I did run the engine until it auto shut off twice during/after watching the TV.

I have not checked anything yet, SC does not show any codes; replaced 12V batt about 2 summers ago I think it was.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Once running, it runs fine, goes into EV, SOC ranges from 44-54, etc.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Default Re: Occasinal no start 08 gen1

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
replaced 12V batt about 2 summers ago I think it was.
Well that was easy. Put voltmeter on batt; 9.4V, get car started, charging at 13.5 (or13.9V?). Find reciept; purchased 'gold' battery from Autozone 2 yrs, 11mo & 1 day ago (on a 3yr free replacement battery!)

Whew!

Guy says I need to charge it an hour to make sure; That worried me as they always tell me yup it's 12V now; must be you; not the battery, esp that colse to the free warrenty. But nope an hour later he says yup, it's dead; pulls the last one off the self and says here you go.

I did ask about a new reciept for warrent reasons, and he said it goes off the original reciept, so if this battery dies in a month (yr, 3yrs) I'm going to have to pay the pro-rated replacment rate; not the new battery date?

Old 06-09-2013, 04:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

I second the 12V battery as an issue. Both of my Motorcraft 12V batteries at around 48 months and both developed a bad cell. When this condition existed, I develop some strange vehicle malfunctions such as relays not closing, vehicle not starting ,battery with no voltage and/or regenerative braking disabled for starting. I carry a portable power pack in the vehicle that works like a charm but now on my new 12V engine compartment battery, it is unlikely I will need the "portable jump starter" for another 3+ years.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 AM
Feral Engineer

When my battery was getting ready to go the power brake pump (the noise you hear when the door is opened) started to warble. A new battery cured it.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:24 PM

Crazy; I started fearing the worst as I know the 12V doesn't start the car, & I just replaced it recently; actually every 3 years now.

I started thinking battery pack at worst; or a relay.

Glad it was just a battery & under warranty at that!